Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Steam Keys

Shadrach

That's really nice of you :)

I think it's strange though, people seem to kind of expect Steam keys these days, even when purchasing a game from a totally different distributor. Steam is just a store, just like the LnL store, but people seem to expect, even demand to the point of throwing a tantrum, that a Steam key is always included.

I'm probably going to buy the modules a second time anyway, but I'm stupid that way :bag:

*budd*

It makes good sense to give exiting customers steam keys. I think I'm in the camp of expecting a steam key. People use steam for a few convienant reasons, having all your games listed in one program, auto patching, and workshop which makes installing mods, scenarios, campaigns a breeze. Leaving your customers that supported you before steam out wouldn't exactly be good public relations. Also providing steam keys with your purchase might steer people who were just going to buy on steam to maybe buy here where steam won't eat into the profit. On another note most people that have been with Command Ops for awhile have already bought the games more than once. Going forward I'll buy here and install via steam and encourage others to do the same.

Adrian Lui

I bought the game as a commander pack when it was first launched. I wonder whether I just wait you guys to send me the steam key or I have to go to support to ask for it?

Shadrach

It makes good sense to give exiting customers steam keys.

Sure, don't get me wrong, it's awesome that it can be done. I have no idea of course how the details of it works, like I would expect Steam to want a certain fee per key even when purchased on this store.

I guess I just can't help thinking they are different stores - it's like if you buy something at Coles you wouldn't expect to just pop over to Safeway and get the same thing for free right :happy:

*budd*

I bought the game as a commander pack when it was first launched. I wonder whether I just wait you guys to send me the steam key or I have to go to support to ask for it?
My guess is they will post when there ready,with instructions. You'll probably have to go to your account page to get it.

Grim.Reaper

Will steam keys only be given to customers who previously purchased CO2 from Lock-n-load directly before released to Steam? Or if I were to purchase CO2 from Lock'n'Load in a couple of weeks, would I still get a steam key? Just wasn't sure if steam key was just for past purchases or whether will always be given out in the future.

Beserko

Just loaded it up from Steam which is great as my old machine bricked taking my mail and all my various serial numbers with it.
Personalty I wouldn't mind buying them back (hopefully at a discounted rate) just to show my support for your work. Of course I probably am in the minority but that has never bothered me before.
Keep up the great work. Thanks

cdcool

If you purchased Command Ops 2 through Lock 'n Load Publishing we will be providing Steam Keys. There will be a little delay as we are not set up right now to provide the Steam Keys but we should be soon.

David
Thank you! Looking forward to receiving further communication

Beserko

I haven't tried it yet but can I somehow plug my old versions of the data packs into the steam version? (if I can find them and their serials on my backup)

Beserko

Well plugging old versions doesn't seem to work. I found a copy of my CO2 game dir on my backup. Unfortunately running the executable leads to an error message. I'm not really surprised. As I mentioned I lost most of my mail and I can't seem to find any of the executables but as I have a terabyte of old downloads and copies of serial numbers
I do have all my downloads and data packs for CO1 (yippie!) but can you look up my old serials and send them to me so I can skip STEAM altogether though I would miss the automatic updates.?

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Beserko,

We do not have any key listing from sales that are not directly from LnLP. Also, older CO editions and those keys will not work with the current Command Ops 2 editions. If you received your Command Ops from LnLP, then you can find your download links and keys in your order history from the LnLP store.

David

Beserko

Thank you so much ! I didn't realize I could do this !
can i plug my Command Ops 2: The Commander Pack into the steam version ?
guess i'll try. Whats the worst that can happen ?

Beserko

Nope, it don't work. Tried to load westwall but got an error screen to call L and L
no problem. I'll just load it without steam

Beserko

Every things back to normal .................... happy sigh .................it's been awhile since my old rig bricked
Thanks Dave

LOL I'm a Dave too

Alchenar

Sure, don't get me wrong, it's awesome that it can be done. I have no idea of course how the details of it works, like I would expect Steam to want a certain fee per key even when purchased on this store.

I guess I just can't help thinking they are different stores - it's like if you buy something at Coles you wouldn't expect to just pop over to Safeway and get the same thing for free right :happy:

You are missing just how much value Steamworks brings to the table. Being able to log on to Steam from any computer and have instant access to my game library through a single point is immensely convenient.

It's been years since I've needed to check for a patch for anything other than a wargame because Steam automatically updates to the latest version.

The Steam workshop means that with literally one click I can add interesting mods to my games.

This is why it's worth having Developers put in the resources to make their games Steam compatible; because once it's done the payoff is far more than having a game on just another store (which in itself is understating just how huge Steam is compared to everyone else), that investment opens up the door for much smoother further development if you want to take advantage of it.

Miquel Ramirez

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.linkedin.com

That is wrong, Steam allows developers to generate keys at their leisure and offer them to customers buying the product via a third party store. And has done so for years.

This used to be a quite painless process, but as everything in the Internet, the age of innocence comes to pass rather quickly.

Eventually some clever people out there figured out that this was a vehicle for money laundering or, wonders of the Internet, money printing. By observing that not all devs offering keys had robust e-commerce interfaces, some criminal groups started buying keys with stolen credit cards, and then re-selling the keys on a gray market

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/800...ose-mysteriously-cheap-gray-market-game-codes

the link above contains a good walk through this topic. The scam works as follows

1. game is bought directly off the developer with stolen credit card
2. e-commerce application on the developer store processes transaction and fulfills it immediately, as transaction verification can take weeks
3. steam key is obtained, and sold directly or indirectly to someone else
4. weeks later, transaction is turned back, dev has to pay back money and any charges due to the extra processing

I think people will appreciate immensely that Lock'n'Load takes its time to make sure that they're not going to be f*cked in the ass by some Internet gangsters. The easy thing would be to do as below...

The Internet is a different country, they do things differently there.