Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Advanced rules...

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
We are always working on the rules. We may make an advance set of rules but at this time we are focusing on getting all the modules back in print. All the games in the series should be available again at the end of May.

David

Ty Snouffer

I've seen this request come through a few times. Isn't part of the appeal of LnLT is the simplicity and aren't there other games that already cover the chrome-heavy aspect? Why not just play ASL if that is what you want?

Yup seen this suggested before, the rules work well why over complicate things...if you want rule books like encyclopaedia get out ASL or ATS if you want a good game without getting a law degree student to work through the rules play LnLT...that's just my opinion...:happy:...​

warrafael

LnLT as is hits my sweet spot. Besides, you can always add house rules as needed.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Todd

I like the idea of a fan-led compilation of house rules that allow you to add chrome to particular scenarios.

But I'm playing LNL again to have that lighter offering when I need a break from ASL.

I would like to see more units and scenarios from the LNL team.

Cluttering up LnLT with a lot of "Advanced Rules" would only succeed in turning the system into another ASL. The appeal of the system is in its elegant simplicity and quick playability. A compilation of house rules and/or optional rules that players can pick and choose might be a viable alternative.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

David,

Thank you for your reply. Back in the day, I tried ASL but was never quite able to get it wired. Too many rules for my taste. On the other hand, LnLT is very much to my liking. High playability, rules that are easy learn, solo play is very good and the graphics and artwork of the maps, counters and player aids are fantastic!

Rydo

Actually i don't know why the original poster of this thread was threaded in such a way.

I'm not an ASL player but i can confirm, after reading the rules, that they are not that hard and that in 90% of scenarios you are using only 15-20 pages of rules.

The difference between them is what they achieve; With ASL beign only focused on WW2 so the whole game system is towards it while Ln'L is more oriented to modern, fast paced conflicts ( ww2 beign one of them ).

In ASL the whole turn is a global manuever where you first move, then prepare fire, then bla bla.

In Ln'L each unit act more singularly with impulses and the whole thing changes.

The only thing that keep Ln'L to beign the PERFECT tactical game even surpassing ASL are details. Rules are ok, they tell you what they do in game, but they don't really tell you how this is represented in real life, forcing you to self learn tactical things used in game. I mean, i know that a unit possess assault movement, but the thing is : what this is aside from moving and fire? Why units do that? Just to make them more powerful or because of their training and doctrine? ( for example, as of now i know what AM is :) ).

It would be cool if module rules would be something that really tell you more in detail about the conflict that the specific module will replicate. I mean, Vietnam have only 3 pages of module rules giving you some classic and very bland description of the units involved ( do not take it as an offence please :( ) for example the US Army part says this : " The US did fielded some excellent troops in vietnam, equipped with the best equipment in the world, during the first part of the war they had to learn how to fight in the jungle, during the final part they had to learn how to fight without the support of their home. They dont possess special traits but their values make them squad-to-squad better then their communist counterpart ".

Ok, its cool. But how where squads composed? What was this "world's best equipment" the rules refers to? Why they don't have the support of their home? The USMC have a higher shaken morale to represent its discipline ( what the rules says ), ok, but why? They are born with that? Its their training giving them so or is because they are veterans or...? ( Not everyone know things from the vietnam war ).

You see, there are very interesting parts and the game is fun and i love it, vietnam is my favourite one, but giving more details doesn't mean that the game became boring. It only add more value to the game, also receiving more people that want more details in things they play.

You may say "So go play ASL if you want details". My answer will be "No", Lock'n Load is the only good tactical game in the vietnam, falklands and so on, so why don't use this advantage to improve even more?

Hope you all get this message for what really is. An objective observation from a 6 years player, trying to make this system even better because i really like it. :) So no offence intended! ;)

BTW Since i see that Mr. Heat asked for house rules i will post in a few days one of them that i use in every game wich is the Suppressed/Pinned rule alongside the game marker for it, so all of you could try it.

Have a nice day Ln'L community! :)

Rydo

I assume you meant "treated in such a way." No one treated the OP poorly. Give me a break.

" Why not just play ASL if that is what you want?"

"if you want rule books like encyclopaedia get out ASL or ATS..."

I was referring to these two messages here. To me they look a bit too hard if you get the idea.

Again, I AM NOT against Ln'L ways of doing things or YOU in particular but i can guarantee you that if you look at this message as an "outsider" that want to have a general idea of the whole Ln'L world ( games and community ), those messages could let someone think that the community is "hostile" against changes or its not welcoming new players. :)

Thank you for the correction, i am not an english speaker so you're welcome! :)

Actually i don't know why the original poster of this thread was threaded in such a way.

I'm not an ASL player but i can confirm, after reading the rules, that they are not that hard and that in 90% of scenarios you are using only 15-20 pages of rules.

The difference between them is what they achieve; With ASL beign only focused on WW2 so the whole game system is towards it while Ln'L is more oriented to modern, fast paced conflicts ( ww2 beign one of them ).

In ASL the whole turn is a global manuever where you first move, then prepare fire, then bla bla.

In Ln'L each unit act more singularly with impulses and the whole thing changes.

The only thing that keep Ln'L to beign the PERFECT tactical game even surpassing ASL are details. Rules are ok, they tell you what they do in game, but they don't really tell you how this is represented in real life, forcing you to self learn tactical things used in game. I mean, i know that a unit possess assault movement, but the thing is : what this is aside from moving and fire? Why units do that? Just to make them more powerful or because of their training and doctrine? ( for example, as of now i know what AM is :) ).

It would be cool if module rules would be something that really tell you more in detail about the conflict that the specific module will replicate. I mean, Vietnam have only 3 pages of module rules giving you some classic and very bland description of the units involved ( do not take it as an offence please :( ) for example the US Army part says this : " The US did fielded some excellent troops in vietnam, equipped with the best equipment in the world, during the first part of the war they had to learn how to fight in the jungle, during the final part they had to learn how to fight without the support of their home. They dont possess special traits but their values make them squad-to-squad better then their communist counterpart ".

Ok, its cool. But how where squads composed? What was this "world's best equipment" the rules refers to? Why they don't have the support of their home? The USMC have a higher shaken morale to represent its discipline ( what the rules says ), ok, but why? They are born with that? Its their training giving them so or is because they are veterans or...? ( Not everyone know things from the vietnam war ).

You see, there are very interesting parts and the game is fun and i love it, vietnam is my favourite one, but giving more details doesn't mean that the game became boring. It only add more value to the game, also receiving more people that want more details in things they play.

You may say "So go play ASL if you want details". My answer will be "No", Lock'n Load is the only good tactical game in the vietnam, falklands and so on, so why don't use this advantage to improve even more?

Hope you all get this message for what really is. An objective observation from a 6 years player, trying to make this system even better because i really like it. :) So no offence intended! ;)

BTW Since i see that Mr. Heat asked for house rules i will post in a few days one of them that i use in every game wich is the Suppressed/Pinned rule alongside the game marker for it, so all of you could try it.

Have a nice day Ln'L community! :)
I have a few questions and comments for you:

What 10 - 20 pages of the ASL rules would you be referring to?

As to HotN, you might want to do some historical research on the Vietnam War. Start with the book by Dr. John Prados. Sorry, I forget the title; I read it many years ago.

I think that you will get your answer as to why the the Marine units have a higher morale/recovery factor by researching the USMC during the 1968 Tet Offensive in Hue City and Khe Sanh.

I'll end with a quote that was said about the Marines who fought in those engagements: "The United States has no deadlier weapon in its arsenal than a pissed off nineteen year old Marine." No, I am not a Marine. I never considered myself good enough to be a Marine.
I was in the Army from 1969 to 1972 a did a tour in Vietnam.

Aloha,
Al

Rydo

I have a few questions and comments for you:

What 10 - 20 pages of the ASL rules would you be referring to?

As to HotN, you might want to do some historical research on the Vietnam War. Start with the book by Dr. John Prados. Sorry, I forget the title; I read it many years ago.

I think that you will get your answer as to why the the Marine units have a higher morale/recovery factor by researching the USMC during the 1968 Tet Offensive in Hue City and Khe Sanh.

I'll end with a quote that was said about the Marines who fought in those engagements: "The United States has no deadlier weapon in its arsenal than a pissed off nineteen year old Marine." No, I am not a Marine. I never considered myself good enough to be a Marine.
I was in the Army from 1969 to 1972 a did a tour in Vietnam.

Aloha,
Al

Hi and thank you for your answer!

1 ) About ASL, to have a decent match with infantry squads, leaders and support weapons, 20 pages condensed with small text and no immages is more correct :). BTW is a common thing say " ASL is too..." because actually i haven't foud it so extremely complicated and i started with the core rules ( not the best writing but still manageable ).
It is right that some scenarios have a lot of mini-rules that you have to take into account, but i was referring to a basic scenario.

2 ) The part about the Vietnam was something that could be implemented for other people, not me because i already own a lot of books about the subject but i've had to manually research and purchase a lot of books to have the info i was looking for ( weapons used, vehicles used, different tactics and doctrines of the various forces coinvolted, the events, etc ). To me it would be even more cooler if more info were added in some form of mini information text boxes ( look at the Silver Bayonet 25th Anniversary edition for that ). To me it would add even more value to the whole module, what do you think?

In the last part you said you were in Vietnam. In your prespective how is Forgotten Heroes as a Vietnam game?

Aloa.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you for your answer!

1 ) About ASL, to have a decent match with infantry squads, leaders and support weapons, 20 pages condensed with small text and more immages is more correct :). BTW is a common thing say " ASL is too..." because actually i haven't foud it so extremely complicated and i started with the core rules ( not the best writing but still manageable ).
It is right that some scenarios have a lot of mini-rules that you have to take into account, but i was referring to a basic scenario.

2 ) The part about the Vietnam was something that could be implemented for other people, not me because i already own a lot of books about the subject but i've had to manually research and purchase a lot of books to have the info i was looking for ( weapons used, vehicles used, different tactics and doctrines of the various forces coinvolted, the events, etc ). To me it would be even more cooler if more info were added in some form of mini information text boxes ( look at the Silver Bayonet 25th Anniversary edition for that ). To me it would add even more value to the whole module, what do you think?

In the last part you said you were in Vietnam. In your prespective how is Forgotten Heroes as a Vietnam game?

Aloa.
HotN is only a wargame. Like all wargames it is a simulation, no more no less, and no wargame can duplicate actual warfare no matter how detailed. You cannot simulate realism with paper, cardboard and a set of rules. However, wargames can provide a limited insight to challenges faced by real commanders and soldiers in battle and as a supplement to the study of history.

The two greatest tradgedies suffered by the American People were the Civil War and Vietnam. The latter is best described by a piece of graffiti written on a latrine wall, "Vietnam: we the unwilling, led by the incompetent, fighting for the indifferent."

Kindly don't ask me anymore.

Rydo

HotN is only a wargame. Like all wargames it is a simulation, no more no less, and no wargame can duplicate actual warfare no matter how detailed. You cannot simulate realism with paper, cardboard and a set of rules. However, wargames can provide a limited insight to challenges faced by real commanders and soldiers in battle and as a supplement to the study of history.

Ok, i get that.

The two greatest tradgedies suffered by the American People were the Civil War and Vietnam. The latter is best described by a piece of graffiti written on a latrine wall, "Vietnam: we the unwilling, led by the incompetent, fighting for the indifferent."

Thank you.

Kindly don't ask me anymore.

As i'm not allowed to ask more i will not.