Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

rocketman

That's quite an impressive list - good job.

I understand it is work in progress, but can you shed some more light on (and how it will change scenario/map making):
  • Geo Implementation for importing GIS elevation data.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
That's quite an impressive list - good job.

I understand it is work in progress, but can you shed some more light on (and how it will change scenario/map making):
  • Geo Implementation for importing GIS elevation data.
What this will mean when it is fully implemented is that instead of spending hundreds of hours tracing contour lines over a scanned topo map, you will be able to import the elevation data with a few clicks. You will then still need to trace out the terrain - woods, urban, roads etc. But it should save a lot of time creating maps.

rocketman

What this will mean when it is fully implemented is that instead of spending hundreds of hours tracing contour lines over a scanned topo map, you will be able to import the elevation data with a few clicks. You will then still need to trace out the terrain - woods, urban, roads etc. But it should save a lot of time creating maps.
That's good news. Just curious, where will one find data to import?

rocketman

I run Google Earth Pro and have found no tool for exporting GPS or topographical data. Maybe I'm missing something. If possible it would be an awesome tool for creating maps for Combat Mission games as well.

I run Google Earth Pro and have found no tool for exporting GPS or topographical data. Maybe I'm missing something. If possible it would be an awesome tool for creating maps for Combat Mission games as well.
While the Google Earth Pro available to the general public for free has near real time data on locations based on satellite photography, it doesn't include the appropriate altitude data for building topographical maps.

If you're interested in mapping, I suggest you look into the Geographic Information System (GIS) data that professional geographers and mappers use as an exchange medium.

Data sets and viewing software are readily available from educational and governmental archives at no cost.

That is where the data for creating maps using the emerging import feature will come from.

Daz

That's good news. Just curious, where will one find data to import?
QGIS is a good place to start if you want to learn more about map elevation data.
It's a free download from here:
http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/download.html

There are some great tutorials on youtube on how to use it, but be warned, it is a very complicated process.
Klas Karlsson: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxs7cfMwzgGZhtUuwhny4-Q
has some good tutorial videos.

I have enclosed a pic of what the QGIS interface looks like on your computer. The top half of the map you can see an example of the elevation data I downloaded for the Ardennes area.
If I remember correctly I got it from here: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads
CO2 QGIS.jpg

JET

Great news for the almost ready game changes/fixes and module installer updates.

Will you nominate when and which game changes/fixes and module installer updates are available on this forum to enable manual download of files?

I have had to load all updates manually on my Mac Book Pro.

Will be purchasing a desktop soon, probably with threadripper CPU.

Is Command Ops2 able to utilise multi-core/thread CPUs?

Shadrach

Will there be any changes to DPI scaling issues in the latest builds, for those of us not on the Windows 10 creators update?
(I had to roll it back because it caused a lot of other issues)

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 29 Oct 2017

Sorry Txema, yes we've been flat out here with multiple rounds of testing and modifications. I know you guys don't get to see it but our Dev Forum has been real busy. Here's a list of the latest changes for build 5.1.131.

Changes for Build 5.1.31
- Added kStandardEmResupDuration to ScenCommonAI.cpp
- Modified SendTransportColumnCasualtyReport() to include number of vehicles lost
- Reinstated onMapBoss staffCapacity modifier but reduced if from 2.0 to 1.5. This is a compromise between allowing players to command each battalion and having some restraints on the amount of units the player can directly order. A better approach has been identified but it will involve a lot of development work and testing and so will have to wait.
- Ensure AddReinforcementSubForces() handles No Show reinforcements properly. These were still being added to the game in some circumstances.
- Modified ScenSupplyTransportEvent::DetermineCasualtyLevel(). Reduced the probability of hits on vehicles in resupply columns. But increased the probability that if under fire a column will abort and return to base.
- Added Pavlo Voilov to the credits - take a bow Pavlo!!
- Changed default weather visibility modifiers, significantly reducing visibility in rain, mist, downpour and peasouper conditions.
- Added conversion code to modify weather vis modifiers of all existing maps.

So another round of conversions for all data. It's been a lot more work than I originally planned. But it's ever thus. We're just doing the final Steam installer tests at the moment and then have to work up an LNL installer and we should be able to release it. I would like to say that we could get this done in a week but that will depend on the contribution of others and so I can't promise that. But we're close.

FYI the new west front module, previously announced as "Patton's Charge", is nearing completion. Many of the scenarios have already been tested. We killed off the scenarios around Metz in favour of some others that were more open affairs. So now we no longer have Patton directly participating, we're looking for a change in the module name. The favourite one at the moment is Bradley at Bay. Well, that's our working title for now.

Do you want to try Google's Material Design UI?
It's based on REACT, and that wants a basic knowledge of Javascript and HTML, neither of which are familiar to me.

I'd spend more time learning the script than I would trying to discuss the issues with scenario design.

If you'd want, we could also set up a separate thread on LnL. It wouldn't be as responsive as direct contact, but it might draw an interest from people who have delved deeper into the design problems for a scenario, particularly the mapmaking, than I have.

If you want to collaborate, it would help if you shared whatever historical information you found on the battle -- particularly as it relates to the quality of the forces engaged in combat, the commanders who contested the battle(s), the types of forces that engaged, the tactical goals for the Japanese and Chinese forces, and the strategic situation in China relating to training, equipping, and supplying forces at that timeframe.

I can find some things as well, but they're going to be American-centric. While that timeframe was important in terms of the conflicts of that era, most American history is focused on how the US was recovering from the Great Depression, and addressing the politics of the emerging world war.

This is assuming that the map I sent correctly reflects the area where you want to replicate the combat.

共工熙雲

Website
user.qzone.qq.com
It's based on REACT, and that wants a basic knowledge of Javascript and HTML, neither of which are familiar to me.

I'd spend more time learning the script than I would trying to discuss the issues with scenario design.

If you'd want, we could also set up a separate thread on LnL. It wouldn't be as responsive as direct contact, but it might draw an interest from people who have delved deeper into the design problems for a scenario, particularly the mapmaking, than I have.

If you want to collaborate, it would help if you shared whatever historical information you found on the battle -- particularly as it relates to the quality of the forces engaged in combat, the commanders who contested the battle(s), the types of forces that engaged, the tactical goals for the Japanese and Chinese forces, and the strategic situation in China relating to training, equipping, and supplying forces at that timeframe.

I can find some things as well, but they're going to be American-centric. While that timeframe was important in terms of the conflicts of that era, most American history is focused on how the US was recovering from the Great Depression, and addressing the politics of the emerging world war.

This is assuming that the map I sent correctly reflects the area where you want to replicate the combat.
No. It's based on Java and I'm not a fan.
I will use the Java and HTML, this is my job.
Can I make a new UI for the game?
Thank you very much for your great help in my resources. But I need a map on the outskirts of the city, I am looking for.

Last edited: