Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Co2 Guide on Steam

Bie

A recurring complaint on the Steam forums and reviews is that the game does not explain itself well. That's why I've compiled a guide on steam in the hope that people might read it and not brush aside the game so quickly.

My aim was to get players going as quickly as possible. So, this guide is understandably basic. I'm not sure if I actually succeeded in explaining it on a basic level, as most of the time I'm quite wordy.

As I'm only a player, and definitely not an expert at that, I'd like for you guys to give me some feedback. Pointing out any inconsistencies and providing any comment on it is appreciated.

The guide in question can be found here

john connor

Great work, Bie. I looked quickly through it (very quickly) and it seemed very cool with super graphic assists. I'll try to look more carefully later. Thanks for doing this.

A recurring complaint on the Steam forums and reviews is that the game does not explain itself well. That's why I've compiled a guide on steam in the hope that people might read it and not brush aside the game so quickly.

My aim was to get players going as quickly as possible. So, this guide is understandably basic. I'm not sure if I actually succeeded in explaining it on a basic level, as most of the time I'm quite wordy.

As I'm only a player, and definitely not an expert at that, I'd like for you guys to give me some feedback. Pointing out any inconsistencies and providing any comment on it is appreciated.

The guide in question can be found here
I skimmed it, and the most important thing to me is you referred the readers to the manual.

While it doesn't cover every nuance of the game, it gets deeper into the mechanics than other instructions I've read.

Obtaining details on the mechanics of the game aside, there also is a good portion of instruction in standard tactics and techniques that is useful to any amateur interested in military operational command and control.

Bie

I skimmed it, and the most important thing to me is you referred the readers to the manual.

While it doesn't cover every nuance of the game, it gets deeper into the mechanics than other instructions I've read.

Obtaining details on the mechanics of the game aside, there also is a good portion of instruction in standard tactics and techniques that is useful to any amateur interested in military operational command and control.

I really like the manual, it is a veritable tome of information and I've read it back to front. For everything I wrote I just about always checked it with the manual as I didn't want to misinform anyone.

The problem with the manual is that the younger gamers don't like reading large amounts text. So for this guide I thought about what a gamer would need to start off with, trimming away just about everything else. I tried to always give clear visual representation and backed it up concise a explanation. In explaining the basic concepts I really had no choice but to just plainly explain it in text though. Catching the attention of gamers nowadays is tricky. They are flooded with a mass of games. They have hundreds if not thousands of games literally at their fingertips. This is why the first couple of minutes playing a new game are so important as it will determine if the the player will continue to play or not. Hopefully I swayed at least some people to hang on after the first couple of minutes.

I'm thinking of making some more guides in the future, building on top of this one. Focusing more on the game, but still explaining more game concepts. If I was any good at video editing I would probably also make a video tutorial/guide as that is even more effective at reaching the newer generation of gamers, but hey I'm already happy that this guide turned out ok :happy:

I really like the manual, it is a veritable tome of information and I've read it back to front. For everything I wrote I just about always checked it with the manual as I didn't want to misinform anyone.

The problem with the manual is that the younger gamers don't like reading large amounts text. So for this guide I thought about what a gamer would need to start off with, trimming away just about everything else. I tried to always give clear visual representation and backed it up concise a explanation. In explaining the basic concepts I really had no choice but to just plainly explain it in text though. Catching the attention of gamers nowadays is tricky. They are flooded with a mass of games. They have hundreds if not thousands of games literally at their fingertips. This is why the first couple of minutes playing a new game are so important as it will determine if the the player will continue to play or not. Hopefully I swayed at least some people to hang on after the first couple of minutes.

I'm thinking of making some more guides in the future, building on top of this one. Focusing more on the game, but still explaining more game concepts. If I was any good at video editing I would probably also make a video tutorial/guide as that is even more effective at reaching the newer generation of gamers, but hey I'm already happy that this guide turned out ok :happy:

What you are developing is a training program for the game.

It's sound practice to provide an overview to get the user familiar with the product, and then to gradually delve deeper into the details of the product ending up by offering the trainee a manual that has more information if he / she is interested in learning even more about the product.

Txema

Hi Bie !

Your CO2 guide looks great !

Have you thought about offering your guide in PDF format to let us download and print it? I think it could be very interesting for some people to read this guide in printed form :)

Thank you very much for your guide !

Txema

Bie

Have you thought about offering your guide in PDF format to let us download and print it?

I'm not really used to creating PDF files. But I'm sure I can figure it out. I actually originally thought of doing it in PDF, but I changed my mind and put it on Steam first.

If I'll convert it. It'll be after I finish my CO2 basic guide, which I l'm on right now.

rocketman

@Bie, I have for a while worked on a guide that visually shows the different movement/attack formations, their footprint and the percentage of personnel that can fire/be fired upon for the front/left/right/back side of the formation as well as security and cohesion (basically a visual version of the table in the manual). Let me know if you want to use it for your guide or if I should publish it seperately when done.

The easiest way to make a pdf guide is probably make screen shots and compile in a program like PDFill (free).

Bie

@Bie, I have for a while worked on a guide that visually shows the different movement/attack formations, their footprint and the percentage of personnel that can fire/be fired upon for the front/left/right/back side of the formation as well as security and cohesion (basically a visual version of the table in the manual). Let me know if you want to use it for your guide or if I should publish it seperately when done.

Thanks for the offer rocketman. That might be used for a more intermediate guide. I'll see if I can use it after I'm done with my basic guide.

Bie

Finally I've finished my basic guide of the game on Steam. As per usual I'm asking those interested here on the forum to take a look, find faults or spelling errors and generally critique it. I'll keep polishing the guide in the following couple of days as I'm sure I'll still find some things wrong with it.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who wants to put in their 2 cents.