Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnL Tac counter sheets

Perry Pender

I am working with GIMP at the moment, I am going to have to do the whole counter set for the module (there are some cross overs, like the Cromwell and Fireflies from HoN also the Brit 57/6 pounder ATG that can be used. Tigers from HotM are usable so that will make life some what easier. I want to be able to present LnL with a complete module that will only need them to actually redo the map in the LnL style (am using Hexdraw and the ASL library to map build) and clearly make the counters in their own style etc.

Rydo

I am working with GIMP at the moment, I am going to have to do the whole counter set for the module (there are some cross overs, like the Cromwell and Fireflies from HoN also the Brit 57/6 pounder ATG that can be used. Tigers from HotM are usable so that will make life some what easier. I want to be able to present LnL with a complete module that will only need them to actually redo the map in the LnL style (am using Hexdraw and the ASL library to map build) and clearly make the counters in their own style etc.
What about the testing? All scenarios are tested and balanced?

Perry Pender

What about the testing? All scenarios are tested and balanced?
Testing is the process Will take the longest IMHO, at the moment I have 8 scenario and a one day campaign game, I am not at the point or stage yet where I can test any of them yet as I am still working on the map and counters. Once these are done I will start to play test the 4 scenario that are complete. I may end up dropping either 2 scenario or the CG depending w play out.

Perry Pender

Also with photoshop, add some filters, cut and clean the immage and it can be done!

I saw once a photo ( i may be wrong tough ) on BGG where a user made a Band of Brothers ( tv show ) scenario and in the immages posted you can see counters of Cpt. Winters and the others done in a way you described.
I saw that counter as well,

hudson15983

Are you making custom maps or using the ones already included? I'll admit that I'm eager to try out some of the things you mentioned in terms of counter sheets too. I'd like to make Lend Lease Lees for the Russians or more scenarios for the US versus Germans in Tunisia. I've used Gimp very mildly in the past but I'd love to give it a try again.

Perry Pender

Are you making custom maps or using the ones already included? I'll admit that I'm eager to try out some of the things you mentioned in terms of counter sheets too. I'd like to make Lend Lease Lees for the Russians or more scenarios for the US versus Germans in Tunisia. I've used Gimp very mildly in the past but I'd love to give it a try again.

I am building a custom map using a program called Hexdraw, it will not look like a normal LnL map, that will be upto LnL when I turn the whole module over to them, it will look more like an ASL map which LnL will have to turn into one of their beautiful maps. If we think along the lines of Dark July 43 or Noville-Bastognes outpost, that is what I am looking at, a Historical map, a counter sheet of AFv and a counter sheet or half sheet of MMC/SMC (that is why I was looking for a counter manifest of what comes with what game so I could work out exactly what LnL would need to make for the game) . It would be around the same price wise as Dark July and Noville. I would say it is going to take me with work and family life another 2 months to sort out the scenario, finish off the map and sort out what is needed counter wise and make a mock up of the counter sheets that clearly if LnL go for it would remake in their own awesome way. Again, this will all depend on what LnL think when I pitch it to them, as of yet I have not contacted them in regards to this, so it may well all be a just a pipe dream, but we will see.

Nick DelCorpo

I think slow and deliberate is good. Really put in the time and research to make these games error free and something that will last the test of time. The relaunch has been great for the most part, besides some proof-reading stuff. Fan stuff is always great, but lets leave the publishing of our series mainline to the professionals.

Perry Pender

I think slow and deliberate is good. Really put in the time and research to make these games error free and something that will last the test of time. The relaunch has been great for the most part, besides some proof-reading stuff. Fan stuff is always great, but lets leave the publishing of our series mainline to the professionals.
That is the idea, I do the ground work, and LnL then take it on and produce it as theirs, win win.

Rydo

but lets leave the publishing of our series mainline to the professionals.
In fact the original creator of this thread said that he intended to give all the works he have done to Ln'L that can modify, test and release them.

It happens all the time with wargames, look at MMP stuff, some are made by designers outside MMP and after they finished it they send the games to MMP that will test them and if they are worthy they'll release them.

Ln'L will do the same. For example one year ago i was given the chance to work on a module for Ln'L and i was in direct contact with them and they told me how things works. They even provided me with a hex grid to create a sketch for the maps but i was too noob at the time and my life wasn't that stable to allow me to work on that. I would love to continue that works now but i'm no longer in touch with them.

Maybe i will post a scenario one day about that project.

BTW if you look at others Ln'L scenarios some are made by designers outside Ln'L.

The ideas of the thread creator are good and i like to see more Normandy stuff. I hope Ln'L will listen to him and maybe even release his works.

Also how can someone become professional if he's not given even a single chance? Even Mark H. Walker should have been a non-professional designer when he started ;)

Bye. :)

Perry Pender

In fact the original creator of this thread said that he intended to give all the works he have done to Ln'L that can modify, test and release them.

It happens all the time with wargames, look at MMP stuff, some are made by designers outside MMP and after they finished it they send the games to MMP that will test them and if they are worthy they'll release them.

Ln'L will do the same. For example one year ago i was given the chance to work on a module for Ln'L and i was in direct contact with them and they told me how things works. They even provided me with a hex grid to create a sketch for the maps but i was too noob at the time and my life wasn't that stable to allow me to work on that. I would love to continue that works now but i'm no longer in touch with them.

Maybe i will post a scenario one day about that project.

BTW if you look at others Ln'L scenarios some are made by designers outside Ln'L.

The ideas of the thread creator are good and i like to see more Normandy stuff. I hope Ln'L will listen to him and maybe even release his works.

Also how can someone become professional if he's not given even a single chance? Even Mark H. Walker should have been a non-professional designer when he started ;)

Bye. :)

Exactly this,

I have already approached Mr Heath with a basic idea, but no reply so far. When done the whole lot would be turned over to LnL as a complete project for THEM to produce if they so wished. My end state is simple, a fully working module for the lnL Tac system that has been play tested by myself, which would then be given to LnL to check over and then to give the LnL touch and produce, clearly that is what i would like to see, if that happens remains to be seen. I have lots more to give to LnL but I want to see how this first attempt is received once I have finished the product before I even attempt to go any further.

Nick DelCorpo

I once had correspondence with David regarding a module as well(Russia vs Japan 1939), so not a special thing. The problem is game designers get paid for their time (not alot).And no offense Rydo your LnL work is sub-par and I wouldn't buy the Iraqi war game based on that cover you designed, nor were the counters anything worth commenting on. Sky-scrappers? we still have arguments over hedges. LOL, Fan stuff is great,, but don'y try and get it published from the manufacture. They have more then LnL and are running a business, not a hobby shop for friends. LOL. Every professional starts non-professional, what an obvious thing to say. And if you look at most fan-made kickstarter stuff, most of its trash.

Last edited:

Nick DelCorpo

Exactly this,

I have already approached Mr Heath with a basic idea, but no reply so far. When done the whole lot would be turned over to LnL as a complete project for THEM to produce if they so wished. My end state is simple, a fully working module for the lnL Tac system that has been play tested by myself, which would then be given to LnL to check over and then to give the LnL touch and produce, clearly that is what i would like to see, if that happens remains to be seen. I have lots more to give to LnL but I want to see how this first attempt is received once I have finished the product before I even attempt to go any further.

The MMP games produced by other failed and suck, do some research. Here's two to get you started 'War of the Suns', or 'Panzer Leader V2'

Rydo

I once had correspondence with David regarding a module as well(Russia vs Japan 1939), so not a special thing. The problem is game designers get paid for their time (not alot).And no offense Rydo your LnL work is sub-par and I wouldn't buy the Iraqi war game based on that cover you designed, nor were the counters anything worth commenting on. Sky-scrappers? we still have arguments over hedges. LOL, Fan stuff is great,, but don'y try and get it published from the manufacture. They have more then LnL and are running a business, not a hobby shop for friends. LOL. Every professional starts non-professional, what an obvious thing to say. And if you look at most fan-made kickstarter stuff, most of its trash.
I understand everything you said.

About the stuff i made, the cover was made in like 5 minutes just to have fun and the counter was just a resized and cut immage, nothing i worked on seriously. The same about skyscrapers, they were just to see how they could work and be implemented but i never considered them to be made purchasable nor to send them to Ln'L and ask them to release them.

The works i have ever showed were always intended as free when they will be ready.

Fan stuff is great

With your help it could be even greater.

BTW the whole message was not in an angry way or towards you, if you think so i'm sorry :)

Last edited:

Perry Pender

The MMP games produced by other failed and suck, do some research. Here's two to get you started 'War of the Suns', or 'Panzer Leader V2'
There is the 'Rub' Nick, I am doing the ground work, LnL would then take over the production and actually do all the art work etc, I would just do 'roughs' for play testing and so on, LnL would build the actual game. As far as I can see it is a win win, all LnL would have to do is some basic Play testing to make sure they are happy the scenario work and then do their magic in regards to production. they would have the basic module to make and that is all, I say that is all as I know that is a major thing, but they do not have to do any research (already done), they do not have to do any writing except actually turning what I have put on paper into LnL format and layout, the counters and map are where the work would really be up to LnL, I am as said building the map using Hexdraw so LnL would have to use their own map engine to make that and then the same with the counters.
But remember, the whole thing would be turned over to LnL as a complete project to turn into item that can go to market. I would be happy for them to do just that, I look on this as a 'warmer into the bank' to use a rifle range phrase, I would not expect much for this module apart from a copy or two once complete. I look on it as building for the future as I would like to do more LnL Tac modules depending on how this one is viewed.

Nick DelCorpo

Sorry If I came across as a jerk. I really love all you guys do, especially Rydo. Your enthusiasm for the series is refreshing and something we need a lot more of.

Perry Pender

Sorry If I came across as a jerk. I really love all you guys do, especially Rydo. Your enthusiasm for the series is refreshing and something we need a lot more of.

Not at all, the idea all along was to do all the ground work idea and design wise and then turn it over to David and his team to actual produce and do what ever final play testing they need to do. I neither have the time nor the ability/resources to actually produce such a project myself.

Nick DelCorpo

I was working on a Soviet-Japanese campaign based on the Nomonhan Incident (Battles of Khalkhin Gol), (Soviet-Japanese conflict in 1939 near the Manchurian Border). I have most of the research done and I'm confident I could come up with the some great scenario's. The map from Hell Freezes Over is perfect. We already have most of the Japanese and Soviet counters already. We would have to produce a half-counter sheet to include early Soviet and Japanese tanks and pontoons, and a river overlay. Other than that, we are golden! :) BTW. This was Zhukov's first real battle....He killed it! So well that today where the battle took place you can visit the "G.K. Zhukov Museum".

Broadsword56

Great idea, Nick. I really like the idea of shared fan-made mods and enhancements that can help us get even more value from the official LnL titles we buy. And some of the better ones might even become official some day.

Nick DelCorpo

The new leadership David, is doing better getting the name out but we still need to have to have demo/company table at consimworld, its the largest real war gaming convention in the world. these are the types of guys who play there LnL-T, not euro gamers from Essen. We need to showcase the game now, in its new iteration, let it really stretch its legs. I think the last year or two have seen the series heading in the right direction.
My single caveat is proof reading, it is the easiest and LnL publishing gets it wrong a lot. Too much for a professional developer. And unlike the P.C. games you cannot "patch" to replace missing counters or mis-aligned printed sheets.
(well you could, but most don't) I understand why, after the fact its just too cost prohibitive, that is why it has to be right the first time. The rules are great but the flow is off, Crowd-source it with Jeff, worst case, he tells us all to blow -off, best case he catches a few more errors thats would have cost us down the line. I have seen developers kill great games (ATS), and we'll never be ASL. One thing that I have concerns is the realism factor. I feel like the base game is becoming, more "gamey". I don't have any solutions, or even good statements for that matter, but I would be so game for writing the rules to Advanced Lock n Load-T or Locked and Reloaded-T, huh huh j/k . Keep up the good work guys an d gals.

Last edited: