Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Scope of a scenario - Platoon level - Pegasus Bridge

Bie

I'm playin right now, it is not as easy as at the beginning, the combat is going really tuff, my guys are fighting bravely, waiting for reinforcement. In other words I'm enjoying this scen a lot !

Nice to see that you're liking it. At the end of the day there are a lot of reinforcements incoming for the Allies, can you check if the game speed is still manageable on your end. In ran into some slowdowns and would like to remedy that.

Nice to see that you're liking it. At the end of the day there are a lot of reinforcements incoming for the Allies, can you check if the game speed is still manageable on your end. In ran into some slowdowns and would like to remedy that.
The game slowing is a symptom of the smaller grid size.

If I understand it correctly, the smaller grid size affects the number of calculations necessary to define routes, visibility, and combat fire.

It's subtle, but I've noted that routes which are defined on the map for highlighted units appear to be more detailed than in larger grid maps when I'm playing at the closest zoom level. Each of those turns is a calculation that had to be made against the grid pattern. Similarly, sighting and combat fire effects take into account more terrain obstacles on a 25-meter grid than on a 100-meter grid, making the calculations more refined, but also slowing the pace of the game.

Despite that, the game is still intriguing and engaging.

But, as Simovitch points out, it's worth a review of the pluses and minuses from the play to determine whether the 25-meter standard can provide the same kind of response as the default game standard.

Bie

Indeed Jim. It allows for more detailed navigation and such but it seems to slow down due to the added calculations.

In the beginning of the scenario the slowdowns are not that noticable yet, but at the end of day one it is taking on unacceptable proportions.

I've added a second version of the scenario with a grid size of 40 for testing purposes. It should run a bit smoother at the cost of less detailed map layers.

Indeed Jim. It allows for more detailed navigation and such but it seems to slow down due to the added calculations.

In the beginning of the scenario the slowdowns are not that noticable yet, but at the end of day one it is taking on unacceptable proportions.

I've added a second version of the scenario with a grid size of 40 for testing purposes. It should run a bit smoother at the cost of less detailed map layers.
Each of the calculations mentioned (and the notional list I came up with probably doesn't cover everything affected by the terrain grid) is applied to every unit on the map.

As the unit count increases, the number of calculations are compounded accordingly.

I noted some slowing as I played deeper into day 1, but still find the action fascinating.

Like most of the historical scenarios in Command Ops 2, it puts a very plausible face on the action I'd read as I explored World War II combat history.

. . .

If I recall correctly, the default grid size was defined to address not only the frequency of sampling for terrain features on the map, but also to reflect the default combat deployment facing size for basic (smallest) infantry units in the game.

If that is the case, then 40-meters would better reflect the combat deployed size for a platoon.

Bie

Some updates on my part:

I've cropped the map of the original Pegasus Bridge scenario to a 3x3km map around the bridges and am making a new Coup-de-main scenario that is platoon based. I've nearly done the oob and am already doing some light testing. For the moment I'm hopeful. The scenario will at most be a half a day in length. So it'll hopefully be fast and furious.

The Pegasus Bridge scenario (coy based one) will still undergo some tuning. I'm thinking of taking the map with a higher grid size, just because it plays smoother.

I hope to get this done in the following days.

Vancalten

Game speed OK, by the way I've downloaded some scanned map but I dont know how to use them on the map maker, can you give me some basic tips in map making ?

john connor

Bie's pm will no doubt be very useful, Vancalten, but I found I had to read the mapmaker manual, really. I think if you start there you'll pick it up. It's quite concise and clear. You have the manual?

john connor

Not stupid at all. If no one tells you then how would you know? Have fun learning map making!

Bie

I've finished my platoon based version of the scenario and added it the 0.93 update.

Try it out if you're interested, it plays a bit differently than the company based scenario. The downside I noticed is that, since it takes place in a really concentrated space, it can become quite cluttered with counters. It is however good for a quick play session as you'd be done with it in about half an hour or so.

Vancalten

I will try it, in a day or two, my job is taking a lot of time, I have to finish the initial scenario, I stopped with the commando reinforcement.

Kurt

Your scenario's look great Bie , I will get round to playing them and others after the next engine update .