Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FAQ - Crashes 30 seconds in or fails to load... Anti-Virus Issue

Tim Foxley

Hi – excellent game, looking forward to a Normandy version ;)

I have the Command Ops Core Engine and the Highway to the Reich module. The game crashes 20-30 seconds into the game, more or less every time, after it seems to load up completely normally.

Downloaded it from LandL publishing and it was put into my C:drive. And it worked – played it for a couple of hours two evenings in a row. Then loaded it up again and got error messages “The item ‘CmdOps.exe’ that this shortcut cut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut, yes or no?” So not possible to start the game at all. (Incidentally, how do you start the game without a shortcut!?).

As what I thought was a clever alternative, I instead downloaded the game through Steam with the Steam key. I get two alternating, equally unsatisfactory, outcomes. The first says ready to launch - play game. All seems to download completely. Try to play the game – I can choose a scenario, start the game, issue orders all fine. But 20-30 seconds or so into the game the game screen just vanishes without sound, sign or error message. Nothing. I am left staring at my Steam screen. The second outcome when I try to play on Steam gives me an error message:

"An error occurred while updating Command Ops 2 (missing executable) C:\Prog Files...\Command Ops 2\CmdOps.exe"

I have been through the standard Steam error suggestions, verify game/cache etc.

Amidst all this frustration, the game has occasionally worked - I have played on 3-4 separate days for a few hours each. This might be straight after I have done an un-install/re-install but I have just now done another un-install/re-install and the errors are the same. Each time I have wrongly assumed that the problem has solved itself. I have un-installed and re-installed the game about four times.

Grateful for any thoughts - but please express anything technical in simple terms ;).

Cheers

Tim

Hi – excellent game, looking forward to a Normandy version ;)

I have the Command Ops Core Engine and the Highway to the Reich module. The game crashes 20-30 seconds into the game, more or less every time, after it seems to load up completely normally.

Downloaded it from LandL publishing and it was put into my C:drive. And it worked – played it for a couple of hours two evenings in a row. Then loaded it up again and got error messages “The item ‘CmdOps.exe’ that this shortcut cut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut, yes or no?” So not possible to start the game at all. (Incidentally, how do you start the game without a shortcut!?).

As what I thought was a clever alternative, I instead downloaded the game through Steam with the Steam key. I get two alternating, equally unsatisfactory, outcomes. The first says ready to launch - play game. All seems to download completely. Try to play the game – I can choose a scenario, start the game, issue orders all fine. But 20-30 seconds or so into the game the game screen just vanishes without sound, sign or error message. Nothing. I am left staring at my Steam screen. The second outcome when I try to play on Steam gives me an error message:

"An error occurred while updating Command Ops 2 (missing executable) C:\Prog Files...\Command Ops 2\CmdOps.exe"

I have been through the standard Steam error suggestions, verify game/cache etc.

Amidst all this frustration, the game has occasionally worked - I have played on 3-4 separate days for a few hours each. This might be straight after I have done an un-install/re-install but I have just now done another un-install/re-install and the errors are the same. Each time I have wrongly assumed that the problem has solved itself. I have un-installed and re-installed the game about four times.

Grateful for any thoughts - but please express anything technical in simple terms ;).

Cheers

Tim
Check whatever anti-virus program you're running.

Mine (Norton) doesn't recognize CmdOps.exe as a "safe" program whenever it is installed from the web download, and automatically quarantines it unless I take action to continue the installation.

if you can run Command Ops for awhile, and then it stops, the problem may be that the anti-virus is running a background check, and automatically quarantining the program during game play.

Your anti-virus should have a means to mark a specific executable (CmdOps.exe in this case) as "safe" to use at the time you install the game and in the future.

To test whether this is the problem, download the game and pause any anti-virus scan before you click to install it.

If the game runs normally after you install it in that manner, then it's the anti-virus program is affecting how the game is installed.

After you've run the game for awhile without the anti-virus running, close the game, restart the anti-virus. If the game doesn't start, or runs for a time and then crashes with the same message, the anti-virus needs to be told to leave CmdOps.exe out of its scan.

Hope this helps.

Tim Foxley

Check whatever anti-virus program you're running.

Mine (Norton) doesn't recognize CmdOps.exe as a "safe" program whenever it is installed from the web download, and automatically quarantines it unless I take action to continue the installation.

if you can run Command Ops for awhile, and then it stops, the problem may be that the anti-virus is running a background check, and automatically quarantining the program during game play.

Your anti-virus should have a means to mark a specific executable (CmdOps.exe in this case) as "safe" to use at the time you install the game and in the future.

To test whether this is the problem, download the game and pause any anti-virus scan before you click to install it.

If the game runs normally after you install it in that manner, then it's the anti-virus program is affecting how the game is installed.

After you've run the game for awhile without the anti-virus running, close the game, restart the anti-virus. If the game doesn't start, or runs for a time and then crashes with the same message, the anti-virus needs to be told to leave CmdOps.exe out of its scan.

Hope this helps.

Tim Foxley

Jim, many thanks for that timely and helpful reply, you seem to have hit the solution. I deactivated the virus scanner and, for the first time in a week, I have been able to get the game running. Now to work out how to "tell" the virus scanner to leave CmdOps.exe alone permanently... ;)

Cheers!

Tim

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Just saw this. Sorry for the delay. But I see once again that incredibly helpful Jim has come to the rescue. Thanks Jim.

BTW Tim, just for the record, what AV program are you running? I'll raise an FAQ once you get back to me so others can be warned. Thanks.

Jim, many thanks for that timely and helpful reply, you seem to have hit the solution. I deactivated the virus scanner and, for the first time in a week, I have been able to get the game running. Now to work out how to "tell" the virus scanner to leave CmdOps.exe alone permanently... ;)

Cheers!

Tim

Glad I could help.

It's a good game, even if the anti-virus doesn't want to admit it ;-)

Tim Foxley

Actually, I wonder if you have any thoughts about my initial problem - got the error message: “The item ‘CmdOps.exe’ that this shortcut cut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut, yes or no?” This was before I went to Steam. With this error, I couldn't get the game started at all...

Tim Foxley

Just saw this. Sorry for the delay. But I see once again that incredibly helpful Jim has come to the rescue. Thanks Jim.

BTW Tim, just for the record, what AV program are you running? I'll raise an FAQ once you get back to me so others can be warned. Thanks.

Thanks Dave, no problem, I guess you have a few people and posts to attend to ;)
Just betraying my ignorance - what do you mean by "AV program"?

Tim Foxley

Glad I could help.

It's a good game, even if the anti-virus doesn't want to admit it ;-)

Actually, another question - I cannot find a CmdOps.exe file anywhere in my C:drive (I am trying to add this on the list of files that should not be scanned. There is a play.exe but no CmdOps.

Tim Foxley

You're AV probably quarantines the app - ie moves it to a sanitised directory. So the shortcut can't find it in the game directory and reports an error. Fixing the AV and reinstalling will solve the problem.

Dave, thanks, that is helpful. Yep, just realised also that AV means Anti-Virus and not Audio Visual... :)

Tim Foxley

It is McAfee LiveSafe which was given to me for 12 months with the new computer.