Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Airstrike Cannon attack

Stefano G.

Hello
i recently received Core Rule V5.0 and i have had a very good impression about this book.
Many useful examples and clarifications, new interesting rules (Asssault Fire, Movement after Smoke, etc etc) make this book essential for any LnL Tactical player.

Howevere i have read a point for i am a bit confused now...
Regarding Airstrike rule, and Cannon attack specifically (19.1.2 Cannon/MGs and Bombs), is written that :
"Air support can attack a number of adjacent hexes along its flight path indicated by the number before the x (2 for the British Hurricane Mk II D). The air-support unit attacks the hex it currently occupies and the next adjacent hex in its flight path with its cannons."

Well...i have always interpreted that the "number before the x" was the effective "Range" of Aistrike Cannon, and all the adjacent hexes (2 for the British Hurricane Mk II D) were fired at same time (at the same istant) the Airplane opens fire against the first hex (the hex it currently occupies).

So, for an A-10 Airstrike (4 x 6), when the plane opens fire against the Hex it occupies, even the other 3 adjacent hexes can be immediately fired at.
e.g. say that X1,X2,X3,X4 are 4 adjacent Hexes along A-10 flight path...at the moment A-10 enters X1, it fires, with its Cannon, against X1 Hex and, before moving again, can resolve Cannon attack against X2, X3, X4 hexes too...only after having resolved all the 4 Cannon attacks, A-10 continues its flight entering X2 , X3, ect. etc.

I have always considered the Cannon "range" as the real difference from the Bomb attack (where the Plane MUST occupies the target Hex instead)...and this has always sounded good for me.

But reading the "19.1.3 In-Depth Fixed-wing Aircraft Example";
"The Harrier can attack two (2) adjacent hexes with 3 FP. It attacks the hex it currently occupies first.....After resolving that attack, the Harrier moves on to the adjacent hex, J7, which...... can be attacked by the Harrier."
It seems that even for Cannon Attack (although, it can attack a number of adjacent hexes along flight path), plane MUST occupy each adjacent target Hexes before firing cannon at; so, in my example, A-10 should first open fire against X1, then enter X2 and perform a second attack against it, then enter X3 firing for the third time, and finish its Cannon attack by entering X4 and performing the last attack...it's sound a bit strange IMHO o_O:confused:...but is it really so?

Must A-10 occupy each of its 4 adjacent Target Hexes before firing against each of them OR can A-10 resolve all the 4 Cannon attacks at the moment it fires the first Hex it occupies ?

Thank You.

P.S. From 19.1.2 Cannon/MGs and Bombs:
"The target uses its lowest Armor Factor (turret or hull, fractions rounded up)" .... if the target uses its lowest whole Armor Factor (and not its half), the following "fractions rounded up" should be a typo from previous rules, i suppose...correct?:rolleyes:

Seems to me the pilot of the A-10 would pull the trigger one time, spreading his fire over four hexes in front of him, not four separate attacks microseconds apart.

Stefano G.

Seems to me the pilot of the A-10 would pull the trigger one time, spreading his fire over four hexes in front of him, not four separate attacks microseconds apart.

Hi Benjamin,
i have always played as you wrote...i have always thought that Cannon attack was resolved one time and for all the adjacent Hexes (it makes more sense, IMHO)...and reading all the previous version rules, regarding Airstrike, it was more llkely than to perfom separate Cannon attacks for each adjacent hex .
But with the 19.1.3 In-Depth Fixed-wing Aircraft Example of Core Rule V5.0, it seems that Plane counter had to occupy each of the adjacent target Hexes in order to carry Cannon Attack out...without that example, i would have had no doubt to play Airstrike as i've alwyas done and as you wrote.

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
It looks to me that you do move your airplane from hex to hex, making four separate attacks (and allowing more chances for anti-aircraft weapon to bring the plane down)

TerryB

It looks to me that you do move your airplane from hex to hex, making four separate attacks (and allowing more chances for anti-aircraft weapon to bring the plane down)

Yes, that's how I've always played airstrikes. You attack 4 contiguous hexes, firing as you move into each one, if your plane survives any anti-aircraft attacks (similar to Op-fire) as it moves into the new hex.