Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Line & Area sight simplification

SamuraiN

My opinion on these features is that they are not very realistic and possibly overly complex. Commanders in real action can hardly determine precise lines of sight based on maps, perhaps somewhat better in modern situations, not to mention areas of sight. Such features induce micro-managing of positions of low level individual units. The complexity increases anxiety by adding extra aspects to the already intense planning and execution.

I think they do not to be disabled, just the player do not need access to such precise information but just some more general one, though the system may still make calculations based on it. And the same applies to overlays except possibly for Movement.

And simplifying some minutiae may help to bring more players and consequently funding.

My opinion on these features is that they are not very realistic and possibly overly complex. Commanders in real action can hardly determine precise lines of sight based on maps, perhaps somewhat better in modern situations, not to mention areas of sight. Such features induce micro-managing of positions of low level individual units. The complexity increases anxiety by adding extra aspects to the already intense planning and execution.

I think they do not to be disabled, just the player do not need access to such precise information but just some more general one, though the system may still make calculations based on it. And the same applies to overlays except possibly for Movement.

And simplifying some minutiae may help to bring more players and consequently funding.
The tools reflect information a real life operational commander would mark on a map to conduct planning.

The LOS merely reflects the visibility available from portions of a map, perhaps exceeding the information a WWII commander could get on call, but no different from planning on where to send scouting units to observe the battle environment and report back. It doesn't reveal what is seen from the position, but the quality of visibility that can be obtained at the position.

As far as your problem with features which encourage micro-management, the answer is quite simple:

If you don't like using the utility, don't open it up!

SamuraiN

The tools reflect information a real life operational commander would mark on a map to conduct planning.

The LOS merely reflects the visibility available from portions of a map, perhaps exceeding the information a WWII commander could get on call, but no different from planning on where to send scouting units to observe the battle environment and report back. It doesn't reveal what is seen from the position, but the quality of visibility that can be obtained at the position.

As far as your problem with features which encourage micro-management, the answer is quite simple:

If you don't like using the utility, don't open it up!
I agree it is possible, though the commander would only be able to mark precise and comprehensive LoS on a map after exhaustive reconnoiter of the terrain, which often times is not carried out to such degree except for front line artillery target spotting.

The micro-management temptation, well, is hard to resist~

I agree it is possible, though the commander would only be able to mark precise and comprehensive LoS on a map after exhaustive reconnoiter of the terrain, which often times is not carried out to such degree except for front line artillery target spotting.

The micro-management temptation, well, is hard to resist~
Keep in mind, the LOS tool is for planning only.

It doesn't reveal what is seen in its range, but what areas are possible to be seen from the location within the constraints of the current lighting and weather.

It provides information a good staff would offer to a commanding office while seeking the best intel available on the battlefield.

SamuraiN

Keep in mind, the LOS tool is for planning only.

It doesn't reveal what is seen in its range, but what areas are possible to be seen from the location within the constraints of the current lighting and weather.

It provides information a good staff would offer to a commanding office while seeking the best intel available on the battlefield.
Yes. Actually this reminds me about another suggestion about LoS: currently in game, one cannot estimate this information for a different time of the day - planning LoS at night for the next morning is impossible, and planning at day for the night the same, though its is easier to gauge a 200 m distance after some experience.

rocketman

Very good topographical maps were available at the time so a commander would study those to get a feel for the terrain and what could be seen from there.