Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Supply Line display

SamuraiN

I propose making the supply line display to show the latest supply route, whether blocked or not, in all conditions. This would help to identify which lines of communication need to be secured.

I propose making the supply line display to show the latest supply route, whether blocked or not, in all conditions. This would help to identify which lines of communication need to be secured.
The game already does that during the time a supply operation is being conducted.

Since the selection of a supply routing is conducted at the time the pulse is initiated based on existing intel, the green straight lines which appear between supply pulses indicate which bases had at least one open route to a unit they supply among all potential routes during the latest supply phase, and which bases had no supply route to a unit during the latest supply phase.

If you want to secure a route, you should concentrate improving the intel and strength of units guarding supply routes along the axis of red lines.

One thing which would help is marking the location where any interdiction of a supply convoy took place during the latest supply event.

SamuraiN

The game already does that during the time a supply operation is being conducted.

Since the selection of a supply routing is conducted at the time the pulse is initiated based on existing intel, the green straight lines which appear between supply pulses indicate which bases had at least one open route to a unit they supply among all potential routes during the latest supply phase, and which bases had no supply route to a unit during the latest supply phase.

If you want to secure a route, you should concentrate improving the intel and strength of units guarding supply routes along the axis of red lines.

One thing which would help is marking the location where any interdiction of a supply convoy took place during the latest supply event.
The problem is this, I know the need to pen supply route along the axis, but I do not know which route the base uses as the main route. So if I open a route which happens to be an alternative route, then the supply along the main route will get interdicted anyway. In general, I think it would be helpful if a comprehensive guide to supply route planning and re-planning is forthcoming.

Interdiction I think can be shown if it happens within the view of friendly units. As trucks are not usually equipped with long range radios, it would be difficult to know their precise locations.

The problem is this, I know the need to pen supply route along the axis, but I do not know which route the base uses as the main route. So if I open a route which happens to be an alternative route, then the supply along the main route will get interdicted anyway. In general, I think it would be helpful if a comprehensive guide to supply route planning and re-planning is forthcoming.

Interdiction I think can be shown if it happens within the view of friendly units. As trucks are not usually equipped with long range radios, it would be difficult to know their precise locations.
The route is selected based on the last known route status identifying the safest path of the shortest distance offering the quickest resupply to the unit gaining supplies. If the last route used was interdicted to the point where supplies and vehicles are lost, it would be dropped as an option for planning the next supply pulse.

If the player clears an interdicting unit from a different route, then it becomes the safest option for the planning and delivery cycle. If two separate routes are cleared before the next supply delivery, then calculations focus on finding the best among those routes and any previous route which was not interdicted during the last pulse.

Interdiction locations could be reported by radio, or from debriefing the units which escape damage and return to base. If 100-percent of a column is lost and there were no radio, you're right, the location could only be identified by observation from units not involved in the combat.

SamuraiN

The route is selected based on the last known route status identifying the safest path of the shortest distance offering the quickest resupply to the unit gaining supplies. If the last route used was interdicted to the point where supplies and vehicles are lost, it would be dropped as an option for planning the next supply pulse.

If the player clears an interdicting unit from a different route, then it becomes the safest option for the planning and delivery cycle. If two separate routes are cleared before the next supply delivery, then calculations focus on finding the best among those routes and any previous route which was not interdicted during the last pulse.

Interdiction locations could be reported by radio, or from debriefing the units which escape damage and return to base. If 100-percent of a column is lost and there were no radio, you're right, the location could only be identified by observation from units not involved in the combat.
So how does the base know after a route is cleared? And if all routes are determined as cut, will the base suspend all supply attempts?

So how does the base know after a route is cleared?
In real life, if a friendly force clears a route, wouldn't it notify it's superior HQ?

That gets transmitted to the base for supply route planning.

That feedback loop is emulated as part of the supply planning by the system.
And if all routes are determined as cut, will the base suspend all supply attempts?
Yes, after suffering losses in the last attempt and no new or better route can be found.

The system provides a message about units which cannot be reached, and the line designating the supply axes to those units turns red.

Some of the process is explained on page 115 of the game manual.