Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Morale

SamuraiN

The current morale system could allow for more fluctuations, i.e. reduction of morale. Often times attacking units have only 25% of their original strength but morale is still above 50%. While tank companies can maintain their spirit despite the loss of some vehicles, infantry units are not so resilient. In general, I think morale should be reduced by percentage (geometric series) rather than by absolute number, so that highly spirited troops will lose more in face of first casualties, whereas battered troops get used to it by time.

Recommendations:
1) increasing the initial threshold of losses that a unit can take before retreating, for a single battle, and make the weight of personnel much more than equipment (I witnessed the retreat of an infantry company that lost about 10% equipment but no personnel that retreated from its defence position).

2) make morale impact that threshold (more). And let ARTY barrage, cut-off of communication lines have an impact on morale.

3) make forces differ by their morale reduction system, i.e. Germans lose less morale in general than American or British, and SS, FJ lose less than regular, etc. In Sino-Japanese conflict, I think Soviets units can lose morale quite quickly, whereas Japanese units can be the opposite.

Last edited:
The current morale system could allow for more fluctuations, i.e. reduction of morale. Often times attacking units have only 25% of their original strength but morale is still above 50%. While tank companies can maintain their spirit despite the loss of some vehicles, infantry units are not so resilient. In general, I think morale should be reduced by percentage (geometric series) rather than by absolute number, so that highly spirited troops will lose more in face of first casualties, whereas battered troops get used to it by time.

Recommendations:
1) increasing the initial threshold of losses that a unit can take before retreating, for a single battle, and make the weight of personnel much more than equipment (I witnessed the retreat of an infantry company that lost about 10% equipment but no personnel that retreated from its defence position).

2) make morale impact that threshold (more). And let ARTY barrage, cut-off of communication lines have an impact on morale.

3) make forces differ by their morale reduction system, i.e. Germans lose less morale in general than American or British, and SS, FJ lose less than regular, etc. In Sino-Japanese conflict, I think Soviets units can lose morale quite quickly, whereas Japanese units can be the opposite.
Read Pg. 146 of the Game Manual for an overview of Morale / Fatigue / Cohesion.