Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

D-Day Airborne

john connor

Good! Well, I'll soldier on, then....
67.png

Err..I meant 2 and 3 Bns, not Companies. Etc

Last edited:

john connor

69.png

I must be dozing. I actually gave 2 Bn 8IR a fast Move order, but I gave 3.501 an Attack order. On the CdC

john connor

10.png

Interestingly, if the AI had really thrown some weight into SME then this would only have been a draw.

Last edited:

john connor

So, I did better taking my time, playing it all on slow speed. I got more VPs (mainly due to securing the second Exit also, I think) and I killed more enemy (probably because I controlled directly the big arty unit up to the point where it ran out of ammo!). If I had given just a few more orders on full speed, during the first run, I could probably have got a minor vic then too, but I would have to have known which orders....and that's the trick. Each time you play these through you get more knowledge of what is possible and what isn't. Black knowledge. But you can't take much for granted. For example, in the first run through SME was pretty easy to take, but this time through the defenders really trashed the 2.506 and they were unable to take the town without help. On the basis of the first run through I tasked the 3.506 with nothing for most of the night, in effect, using them as a reserve. It would have been nice if SME had fallen as in the first run through, then I could have sent the 3.506 south to take the Canal.

The big puzzle was never getting 8IR off the beach and into action. I think the arty attacks were responsible for stopping them. With hindsight, I think now that the key to getting 8IR involved would be to use the 2 Bns attacking the Exits to try to get them to attack right across the causeways and dislodge the defenders there before the beach landings, but I'm not at all sure this would be possible. The defenders are fortified, there is enough light by then for arty and plenty of enemy arty to hit them as they cross those causeways. Might just be a slaughter. If 8IR could get off the beach though then we would be able to at least have a go at 1 other objective - enough to deprive the Axis of possession, so that the VP differential was greater, which would then be enough to get us a decisive victory.

The other interesting thing, was - since 8IR never got into action really - everything achieved here was achieved with only the crack para units. With a force that, on paper, was much weaker than the defenders - but with much better stats. So much so that I wonder if - were I to do it again - I could somehow get the 2.506 into SME, and use the 3.506, from the outset, to take the Canal de Carentan. If all else remained the same that would get me a dec vic, I think.

When I first really got into CO, I was playing Hofen ho-down, again and again, and I could never get more than a draw or marginal vic. But gradually you learn that the difference between that and doing really well, is in so many tiny command details - so that after many run throughs I was able to get dec vics in Hofen without a problem. It would be the same here, I think. Next time through I would have learned enough to do much better.

This was a really enjoyable scenario. My thanks to Ubiquitous, who I don't think we've heard from yet in this new forum. I had tampered with his set up a bit (as detailed at the beginning of this thread), but not much. A really nice map and lovely scenario. Hats off to him.

Daz

That was a superb read mate.

My favourite bit:
"The beach is finally clear. Now I hope the 8IR get the **** off it." :cool:
I could really feel your pain lol

If they were being heavily bombarded, did you check for the Assault Cap?
If the Assault Cap goes red on a unit, your best course of action is to drop it from the Bn formation, and give each unit an individual order, or at the very least, another order to the Bn HQ.

Was a very entertaining and educational AAR, good job :D

john connor

Thanks Daz. Glad you enjoyed. But what's the assault cap? Oh dear...I've never heard of it....