Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

When vehicle count in unit less than # of towed weapons or 0?

Keydet

Ignoring towing weight mismatch:

Are towed weapons abandoned in accordance with the vehicle count in the unit dropping below number of towed weapons?

Are mech or mot infantry units divided into two units, one mounted one dismounted when there are no longer enough vehicles to move everyone? For instance one truck and 100 men in unit.

When a wheeled vehicle unit, such as an artillery battalion losses all vehicles does it become a walking unit or does it keep the wheeled movement rate?

Reactions: Rob

GoodGuy

Hmmm no answer since June 2019.
a) There was a discussion for COTA back in the day, about excess weaponry (towed guns) that would be abondoned (culled by the game engine), if the respective tow vehicles get destroyed. I can't actually remember the details and if it was in COTA from the get-go, or not :banghead:. And I am not sure how it developed over the years. Anyone?
I got curious now, too :)

b) Someone with more detailed knowledge about that engine function could jump in here, as well, as I can't remember if there's a threshold that would re-class the unit (to a foot unit) once the transport vehicle count falls below a certain number, or not.
The 1 truck/100 men is a good example. Technically and historically, if such unit could not borrow trucks from other units, just had to do it the hard way, so that this lone truck had to provide 10 separate rides, instead of 1. A truck could transport like 10-14 soldiers, maybe even 16 of some sat down on the truck bed in the middle, or if the seats were removed - depending on truck size.
That took way longer, but technically, that was still a motorized unit, even if the mobility could only be used/enjoyed in portions, and even if a Coy's squads got in one by one. :happy:

Dismount: There is no dismount function, hence no "two unit" setup.
The dismount function is prob. the fav item on people's wishlists.

c) It will become a foot unit and its movement rate will be reduced to the corresponding speed.

Last edited:

saoikx

I presume any analysis of the MGS had more to do with the usage as opposed to idea. It just has 18 prepared rounds and a generally mind boggling programmed loader for instance and a portion of the ergonomic issues remain. The underlying tales about not having the option to fire moving or being thumped over by the backlash end up being totally wrong.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Ignoring towing weight mismatch:

Are towed weapons abandoned in accordance with the vehicle count in the unit dropping below number of towed weapons?

It takes some effort to track, but this question could be answered by looking at the equipment tab for the force equipped with towed weapons.

If the designated number of tow vehicles decreases and the number of towed weapons doesn't the answer is "no."

If they decrease at the same rate, the answer is "yes."

Are mech or mot infantry units divided into two units, one mounted one dismounted when there are no longer enough vehicles to move everyone?For instance one truck and 100 men in unit.

I recall this being answered before. The manpower is moved by shuttle using the remaining assigned vehicles. Movement rates decrease in accordance with the percentage of vehicles to manpower.

I don't think there's any utility included in the game to transform a unit designated as motorized to foot during game play. If that took place automatically, resolving the "dismounted troops" issue would be easy.

Keep in mind, when the strength of the unit loses viability as a combat entity, the game engine merges the remaining assets with a viable unit and eliminates any reference on the OOB to the heavily damaged unit.

When a wheeled vehicle unit, such as an artillery battalion losses all vehicles does it become a walking unit or does it keep the wheeled movement rate?

No. Whether the unit remains a viable, though technically static, combat force can be answered via the tracking process answering the first question.

GoodGuy

I don't think there's any utility included in the game to transform a unit designated as motorized to foot during game play. If that took place automatically, resolving the "dismounted troops" issue would be easy.

I am not sure if a given unit (that lost all of its transports) will change its movement class in CO, but its speed will definitely revert to foot speed once all trucks are destroyed/gone.
This was even present in HTTR already, which didn't even feature movement classes. Now, I just can't remember if such units are then able to enter dense woods in BFTB/CO. Are they?