Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Starter Kit quick start rules?

Alexander

Hey guys, new to LnLT.

Is there a quick start rules to play just the first scenario in the Starter Kit?

Or is there a list of the minimum rules needed to play the first scenario so that a player doesn't have to read through the entire book?

I'm looking for a "programmed instruction" format similar to the ASL Starter Kit, where you read enough rules for each consecutive scenario so that you're up and playing in the least amount of time possible...

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Alexander,

We do not have programmed instruction rules. We asked the public and no one was excited about us doing that. I would recommend reading the walkthrough. Many gamers have found that very helpful.

David

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

We do not have programmed instruction rules. We asked the public and no one was excited about us doing that. I would recommend reading the walkthrough. Many gamers have found that very helpful.

David
I believe you, but I find that VERY very odd. Why would people not like saving time and being efficient?

So besides the walkthrough, you're basically saying I need to read the entire rulebook just to play the first SK scenario?

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Alexander,

Remember the complete rules are a free download or can be purchased. So you need to spend nothing to look over the whole system. I also think gamers really what to read the whole ruleset. The last point is that the Starter Kit also comes with the core rules so you can play it with no money out of your pocket. I am looking because we used to have an article called LnLT in 10 minutes but I need to find that.

David

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Alexander, what is the first scenario you want to play? In the previous versions of the Starter Kit, only sections 1 to 13, 18 and 22.1 were included but I bet we could shorten this list even more depending on the scenario

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Remember the complete rules are a free download or can be purchased. So you need to spend nothing to look over the whole system. I also think gamers really what to read the whole ruleset. The last point is that the Starter Kit also comes with the core rules so you can play it with no money out of your pocket. I am looking because we used to have an article called LnLT in 10 minutes but I need to find that.

David
Yes I know it's free, the issue is time not money. I do plan on reading the entire rulebook, I just wanted to get up and playing the most basic scenario ASAP.
Do you mean the SK comes with printed rules or do you mean a download or something?

Alexander

Alexander, what is the first scenario you want to play? In the previous versions of the Starter Kit, only sections 1 to 13, 18 and 22.1 were included but I bet we could shorten this list even more depending on the scenario
Good question, which scenario would you recommend as the very first one to play for a beginner?

Yes, the section list helps a lot, that's basically what I was looking for, thank you!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
First, you might want to look here: https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactical-starter-kit.248/

That version of the Starter Kit has a simplified rule set.

Then read the following sections:

Section 1.0, up to 1.6.1 inclusive (pages 14 to 18)
Sections 2.0 to 6.0 inclusive (pages 20 to 34)
Sections 8, up to 8.1.1 inclusive (pages 35 to 39)
Sections 9.0 & 10.0 , up to 10.4 inclusive but skipping 10.2, 10.3.1 & 10.4.1 (pages 40 to 50)
Section 11, up to 11.2 inclusive (page 53 to 55)
Section 12 (page 57)

and you will be ready to play Rejoining the Regiment, the simplest scenario of the Starter Kit.

Alexander

First, you might want to look here: https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactical-starter-kit.248/

That version of the Starter Kit as a simplified rule set.

Then read the following sections:

Section 1.0, up to 1.6.1 inclusive (pages 14 to 18)
Sections 2.0 to 6.0 inclusive (pages 20 to 34)
Sections 8, up to 8.1.1 inclusive (pages 35 to 39)
Sections 9.0 & 10.0 , up to 10.4 inclusive but skipping 10.2, 10.3.1 & 10.4.1 (pages 40 to 50)
Section 11, up to 11.2 inclusive (page 53 to 55)
Section 12 (page 57)

and you will be ready to play Rejoining the Regiment, the simplest scenario of the Starter Kit.

Much appreciated! May I suggest that you add this to the SK resources page on the website.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Just noticed there are smoke counters so you may want to read section 7.0 too. The Smoke-laying Capability is 2 for all units in the Starter Kit scenarios, except for the American in the Nam scenarios (3) and the VC (1)

Alexander

Just noticed there are smoke coutners so you may want to read section 7.0 too. The Smoke-laying Capability is 2 for all units in the Starter Kit scenarios, except for the American in the Nam scenarios (3) and thE VC (1)
Where are the starter kit scenarios?

- I have to say that I'm really disappointed with the Starter Kit and I would not recommend it to people. Having to jump around between different sources just to get up and playing is tedious and aggravating.

It's not really a "Starter Kit" because a starter kit would be totally self contained (and worth the extra money). Whoever was giving you guys input on this may have done you a disservice IMO.

Look at the success of the MMP starter kits - they sell out as fast as they're made. Your working business model is right there for you...

I love you guys and your other products, just giving you some tough love here.

Edit: I've been clicking around for 20 minutes now, still can't find the scenarios for the starter kit - really annoying and off putting...

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Alexander,

Are we talking about the Starter Kit that can be found here: https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lock-n-load-tactical-starter-kit.248/

The scenarios, maps, charts and counters needed to play can be found on page 124 and following. I don't understand why you mention having to jump between different sources. Everything is there.

Granted, the table to contents does not point to this (it actually inccorectly attributes credits to page 124, while they are on page 145)

Alexander

Thank you. It should have been stated on the back of the physical Starter Kit: "Scenarios can be found starting on page 124 of the Starter Kit Rulebook found here: (link)"

As it is now it just directs you to the full rulebook, with no mention of where the scenarios are.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The Store webpage directs you so. Plus the scenarios can be found in the Core Rules book too (pages 266 and beyond)