Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

GPQ Weapons with lower range than 100m

yugohubo

Hello,
How does weapons with max or effective range lower than 100m work in combat mechanics?
I read that game combat mechanics only support 100m increments in range.
Weapon examples are flamethrowers(max range lower than 100m), AVRE(effective range lower than 100m), or hand grenade effect. Do weapon ranges 100m and 10m have difference in combat calculations or they are actually just calculated same and at 100m they both work?
Thanks for any answers before hand.

Hello,
How does weapons with max or effective range lower than 100m work in combat mechanics?
Weapon examples are flamethrowers(max range lower than 100m), AVRE(effective range lower than 100m), or hand grenade effect. Do weapon ranges 100m and 10m have difference in combat calculations or they are actually just calculated same and at 100m they both work?
Thanks for any answers before hand.
Every weapon's damage calculation includes a factor of how likely the weapon will cause damage to its target at each 100-meter increment in its range. A weapon with a 95-percent chance to cause damage at 100-meters may have a 50-percent chance of causing the same damage at 200-meters.

Weapons of less than 100-meter range are assumed to cause damage within the first 100-meters of the weapon's location, but the damage factor for that weapon could be set at 30-percent chance of damaging any target within that 100-meters to account for the lower effective range.

yugohubo

@jimcarravallah
Let's simply go with an example;
Estab of BFTB says that flamethrowers have a 80% accuracy at 30m and nothing else. So does this mean at 100m range:
Unit have a 80%*30%=24% chance to have effective damaging fire, ditto chance code weight on it's fire is therefore 24%? And since effective fire range is where accuracy is at least 37% therefore if not set to max aggro therefore doesn't even fire?
Somehow it doesn't feel right to me. Can you enlighten me further please?
Thanks.

@jimcarravallah
Let's simply go with an example;
Estab of BFTB says that flamethrowers have a 80% accuracy at 30m and nothing else. So does this mean at 100m range:
Unit have a 80%*30%=24% chance to have effective damaging fire, ditto chance code weight on it's fire is therefore 24%? And since effective fire range is where accuracy is at least 37% therefore if not set to max aggro therefore doesn't even fire?
Somehow it doesn't feel right to me. Can you enlighten me further please?
Thanks.
Your specific answer is buried in the proprietary software which takes into account the size of and quantity of targets, their cover status in the 100-meter grid, the target disposition and dispersion within the grid, visibility, the quantity of weapons firing, the quality of troops firing, their health and morale, and the availability of ammunition

yugohubo

@jimcarravallah
i meant with optimum situation. At 100m/ at 50m and no terrain, visibility or other effects are different for opposing units and they are all same with 100% direct hit and visibility. Think of an experimental situation my question only involves what i ask.

@jimcarravallah
i meant with optimum situation. At 100m/ at 50m and no terrain, visibility or other effects are different for opposing units and they are all same with 100% direct hit and visibility. Think of an experimental situation my question only involves what i ask.
And, my answer indicates what I know.

If you want statistics on the probability of causing damage, you have to see how the proprietary software weights the factors to arrive at a solution.

yugohubo

If you want statistics on the probability of causing damage, you have to see how the proprietary software weights the factors to arrive at a solution.
Yeah thanks for insight anyways but do you know is there a way that i could find that info about software?
Does Dave ever share combat mechanics?

Yeah thanks for insight anyways but do you know is there a way that i could find that info about software?
Does Dave ever share combat mechanics?
I've included what he's shared about the targeting process over the years.

Here are some threads of interest where Dave commented on the topic "target", perhaps not about your specific question, but indicating what is taken into account to determine damage:

https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/7936

https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/7978

https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/23608

If you search on a term in the forum and limit the search to comments by Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor, you'll get a sense of what he's doing with the software.

I've already tried "flame" and "flamethrower" and found nothing to discuss the weapon's effectiveness.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
I can not go into very much details for the reasons Jim has mentioned. But I could surely give you a shortened version:

Hello,

This is not applicable in this case.

Do weapon ranges 100m and 10m have difference in combat calculations or they are actually just calculated same and at 100m they both work?

No, they aren't calculated the same. Every firing event has its own exact range (with 1 meter precision) calculated between the firing point and the target point, meaning the exact weapon max firing range limits are applicable.

Note that the firing resolution then has the more or less complex logic to determine the spreading of weapons within the firing force area and spreading of targets within the target area, which depends of the formations and frontages/depths, so the actual firing range for every firing event is never the exact range between the "center of masses of firer unit icon" and "center of masses of target unit icon".

Therefore short-ranged weapons like FT will require the actual short range engagement ranges of 30 m, 50 m or whatever is specified in the weapons' estab, and the actual firing range will also be affected by the relative positions and deployment areas of the firer and target forces for the aforementioned reason.
E.g. this night I had a playtest run when my KS-24 flamethrowers (max firing range 35 m) have been fired at ranges 6, 12 and 13 meters.

Last edited:

yugohubo

@ioncore
Thank you so much.
No, they aren't calculated the same. Every firing event has its own exact range (with 1 meter precision) calculated between the firing point and the target point, meaning the exact weapon max firing range limits are applicable.

Note that the firing resolution then has the more or less complex logic to determine the spreading of weapons within the firing force area and spreading of targets within the target area, which depends of the formations and frontages/depths, so the actual firing range for every firing event is never the exact range between the "center of masses of firer unit icon" and "center of masses of target unit icon".
This info is really great to know. Kinda like the exact answer i wanted to know about system combat calculation logic.
Also;
E.g. this night I had a playtest run when my KS-24 flamethrowers (max firing range 35 m) have been fired at ranges 6, 12 and 13 meters.
Is there anyway for me to test like you did and see the exact firing ranges when the fire event happened? That would be really amazing.
Thanks a lot really.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
@ioncore
Is there anyway for me to test like you did and see the exact firing ranges when the fire event happened? That would be really amazing.
Not under normal circumstances. However, if you're really keen and'd like to learn more about and contribute to the game, there's always an option to apply for beta-tester program and get an access to the debug version of the game, which does provide such a functionality, at the cost of signing NDA, plus the application must be first approved by Dave, of course.

Last edited:

yugohubo

@ioncore
I would actually very like that. Since it would help me to understand the mechanics behind the game and also the fact that i can help and contribute to this amazing game would be great. How can i apply for beta-tester?