Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Grognerd

So far so good Jim. Lost a kidney and as long as I pass my 6 month check ups (so far I passed the first one) I'm good to go. The good news was it stage 1 only, the bad news the tumor was in a bad spot so I lost the whole kidney. Recurrence is a 5% chance and recurrence is a tough fight as renal cell carcinoma is epithelial cell cancer, very tough to beat.

Thank you BTW

ultradave

Glad to hear it. As a non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivor, I know just how good a clean checkup feels (and the apprehension just before). I have a check Monday - just blood work and exam this time. Had a CT in June that was clear. In my case it probably will return at some point, but it's treatable. My oncologist is hoping for long remission based on my response, so fingers crossed.

Glad you are doing well now.

Dave

EzraNehemiah

Forced steam download? No way. I was afraid of this. Oh well nice knowing you Command Ops 2. I`m not downloading steam onto my comp for any game. I`m done with Command Ops and LnL. Nice knowing you. I don`t care what the group fan boys say either.

Deleting my bookmarks as well. I did the same with the few other steam app games as well long ago. They said, "you will be back." Nope, no going back to steam.

Thanks Dave after I supported Command Ops all these years.

I`m serious. Good bye.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Grognerd,

I hear you too and sympathise. I'm no spring chicken either - I turn 66 next February. Going with Steam means I'll be spending less time on the mechanics of getting a build done and more on development. So hopefully we'll wet your appetite for real east front wargaming before too long. Take care.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Fri 20 Nov 2020

Hi all,

I have fixed the formatioon lockups issue and pushed my changes onto Github. I've asked Pavlo to put out a new beta build when he can. He'll post separately when it's ready. I'd appreciate then if you could test it and see if you notice any further lockups for moving forces outside of an attack.

The stalled attack issue is a downstream effect of my senior HQ basing changes. It's requiring more work. Essentially I am redesigning the front end of a Basic Attack, which is what is created for a force with only one HQ. I am adding in a new MoveToAssembly task to ensure the whole force moves as one to an assembly location before moving off either to the reserveLoc or FUP. This will also fix problems where we still see Bn HQs moving out ahead of the assault force. Essentially, the reserveLoc will be around 500m + formation depth/2 back along the route from the FUP. The assemblyLoc will be 1000m + formation depth/2 back from the FUP. If there is not enough space then the assembly will be dispensed with.

I am part way through implementing this but it's not ready yet. So if you see attacks stalled at the FUP, then please don't report these. Just issue new orders to your attack force. They should mount an attack from their current location pretty quickly.

So stay tuned for Pavloi's post re new beta build.

col.sanders

Great news Dave,just so You know I really like Your work I'm only a youngster of 63 but I like the new ideas was really glad to hear that the current user made scenarios work with this up date and I understand they need to be upgraded at some point by the author,just wanted to say I'm in for a penny in for a pound and will be on board for BaB and any future endeavors.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
The build is live now. Let me know if you have any major problems with it, I always keep the previous one around in case we'd need to do the rollback.
Thank you Pavlo. I'm working from my phone at the moment while the carpet cleaners do their thing. I set up my very old laptop in the sunroom but its wifi has died. I really need to buy a new laptop.

ultradave

Nice. I can already see this is better. I've been playing with Joe's Bridge, giving an attack order to the brigade HQ and watch what happens. Much better response with the latest update. So far no stalling out at all.

Dave

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Fri 27 Nov 2020

The good news. I have just fixed the cause of the CTDs in the latest build. It's due to a change I had made earlier that fixed formation lockups. Alas it was not first checking to see if the formation was governed by an order of march. It now does. I'll be committing my fix today. Autotesting as I type. Hopefully we can get a new build up soon. Stay tuned.

The bad news. I have had a crap week having to deal with an attempted fraud that has consumed much of my time this week. Last Saturday I ordered a new laptop. A few hours later my bank advised someone purporting to be Dell Computers was trying to make a payment on my business credit card. It subsequently proved bogus but it looked pretty convincing as they had several items from my actual order. These were all part of the bundle for the laptop. I ended up on the phone waiting and then dealing with the fraud people from the bank. There were four separate attempts. Thankfully the bank stopped all of them but had to cancel my business credit card. I'm still waiting on a replacement and then have to contact all the businesses I deal with. What a PITA! But subsequent to the fraud attempts I then received a bogus email and invoice quoting the same items but they got my bank name wrong. So I can only conclude that the scammers have hacked Dell's systems. So be warned if you place an order for hardware and receive a subsequent invoice for part of the order. Apparently this scam is rife at the moment.

GoodGuy

So I can only conclude that the scammers have hacked Dell's systems. So be warned if you place an order for hardware and receive a subsequent invoice for part of the order. Apparently this scam is rife at the moment.

Dell got hacked in 2018, where hackers "attempted" to extract customer info from the dell.com and support.dell.com sites (incl. the shop I guess). Before that, bogus Dell tech support scammers only tried to trick ppl into installing stuff or into providing cc details (on the phone, maybe even via email), afaik. It looks like Dell somewhat downplayed the hack, as they kept saying that there was no evidence that infos were actually stolen/extracted :

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/dell-systems-hacked-to-steal-customer-information/

The thing is, they reset all passwords, back then.

What computer did you use to order your new laptop (the old laptop? your desktop?)?
Dell re-branded their Support Assist utility (formerly "Dell System Detect"?), which interacts with Dell's support webby (eg. it updates Dell drivers automatically, etc.). Due to a bug in older versions of the utility, hackers can take over that software on vulnerable computers and use it to upload malware/keyloggers/trojans on those systems:

"An unauthenticated attacker, sharing the network access layer with the vulnerable system, can compromise the vulnerable system by tricking a victim user into downloading and executing arbitrary executables via SupportAssist client from attacker hosted sites."

"In essence, the hackers use a variety of tricks to fool your system into thinking it's getting updates from Dell, when in fact, it's being fed poisoned files from a site controlled by hackers."

https://www.nxtgennetworks.com/2019/05/25/some-dell-systems-are-at-risk-of-new-hacks/

You should check (full malware/virus check) the computer you used for placing the order, and you should change your password(s) on their site. Uninstall Dell's update tool on all your Dell computers.

I also highly recommend to delete the credit card info on Dell.com (if you registered it with your Dell account, if it's possible to delete it, at all) and enter it manually everytime you order something on their site. Right now, you really don't know if the info got stolen on Dell's systems or if it got stolen on your system, imho. If the hackers would have extracted your bank/cc info from Dell's site, then your bank's name would have been correct in that bogus email, imho, a hacker would just need to copy/paste or even automate the process.
So, there could also be a keylogger or trojan involved, which scanned the store website you opened, some mouse/keyboard inputs or Dell's receipt/confirmation email ... stuff like that. I'd keep my eyes peeled there. (Not trying to plant silly ideas in your head, here, just trying to tell you that you should double check your equipment).

Last edited:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Thanks GoodGuy. All good advice. I have already ran full system scans with ESET and Malwarebytes. My credit card's been stopped by the bank, so it won't matter now. But I don't leave CC details on sites I purchase from anyway. But I will change my password on Dell. Thanks.

Seb3brv78

SITREP Fri 27 Nov 2020

The good news. I have just fixed the cause of the CTDs in the latest build. It's due to a change I had made earlier that fixed formation lockups. Alas it was not first checking to see if the formation was governed by an order of march. It now does. I'll be committing my fix today. Autotesting as I type. Hopefully we can get a new build up soon. Stay tuned.

The bad news. I have had a crap week having to deal with an attempted fraud that has consumed much of my time this week. Last Saturday I ordered a new laptop. A few hours later my bank advised someone purporting to be Dell Computers was trying to make a payment on my business credit card. It subsequently proved bogus but it looked pretty convincing as they had several items from my actual order. These were all part of the bundle for the laptop. I ended up on the phone waiting and then dealing with the fraud people from the bank. There were four separate attempts. Thankfully the bank stopped all of them but had to cancel my business credit card. I'm still waiting on a replacement and then have to contact all the businesses I deal with. What a PITA! But subsequent to the fraud attempts I then received a bogus email and invoice quoting the same items but they got my bank name wrong. So I can only conclude that the scammers have hacked Dell's systems. So be warned if you place an order for hardware and receive a subsequent invoice for part of the order. Apparently this scam is rife at the moment.

Thanks you for your work on the CTDs, and good luck dealing with the consequences of the scam. Fortunately your bank was efficient!