Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Task Organisation

2GvSAP Flea

Is there a way to select / add / delete units to a task organized HQ?

I realize that I can “drag a square” around units to create a “battlegroup” or CNTRL+Left-click to group units for a order / mission, but is there a way to “drag and drop” in the OOB dialog box to create tasked organized units?

For example: In the Greyhound Dash scenario, my mission analysis lead me to want to create a more or less permanent KG 16.PzR (I/16,I/60, + atts) and KG 60.PzGrR (II/16, II/60, + atts) and additional smaller KGs (2-3 companies) sized groups. Other than the methods listed above, is there a way to do that?

I have considered going into the Scenario Editor to do this, but was looking for a way to do it “in game.”

I am really enjoying this game and will be looking to buy a Scenario pack soon. I was considering waiting on the Bradley at Bay pack for the potential of more wide open maneuver, but I will probably pick up another to throw the developer a few pennies until BaB’s release.

Flea

john connor

I don't know anyway to do this, save the ways you've suggested. But why doesn't the in-game ad-hoc grouping you can achieve via mission groupings do what you want? If ever I have wanted to jiggle things more than this - for example, physically grouping units closer at start - I've used the editor.

Not sure I would describe the action in Bradley at Bay as involving wide open manouever. There are scenarios from Huertgen (in the woods) and Lorraine. I guess the Lorraine scenarios have space, yes, maybe. But shouldn't you pick up a pack with desert scenarios if you want that?

Is there a way to select / add / delete units to a task organized HQ?

I realize that I can “drag a square” around units to create a “battlegroup” or CNTRL+Left-click to group units for a order / mission, but is there a way to “drag and drop” in the OOB dialog box to create tasked organized units?

For example: In the Greyhound Dash scenario, my mission analysis lead me to want to create a more or less permanent KG 16.PzR (I/16,I/60, + atts) and KG 60.PzGrR (II/16, II/60, + atts) and additional smaller KGs (2-3 companies) sized groups. Other than the methods listed above, is there a way to do that?

I have considered going into the Scenario Editor to do this, but was looking for a way to do it “in game.”

I am really enjoying this game and will be looking to buy a Scenario pack soon. I was considering waiting on the Bradley at Bay pack for the potential of more wide open maneuver, but I will probably pick up another to throw the developer a few pennies until BaB’s release.

Flea
You can select a unit on map to lead a task, and then use CNTRL+Left-click to select units from the OOB to cross attach to the selected unit.

Units selected from the OOB have to follow the same rules for attaching as a subordinate -- they either have to be at the same echelon or at a lower echelon than the selected unit.

However, by my experience, the task group will not respond to a new order. It only remains intact so long as it's executing the initial order or until the "reattach" order is given to the group leader.

The game defaults to the most capable unit for command when a task grouping is performed either by clicking on units on the map or "roping" a group. I'm not certain what happens when a unit is designated as leader and same echelon units with better command capabilities are grouped.

In addition, units identified from the OOB may not be geographically proximate. It may be beneficial to group units with specific capabilities to perform a task (say an engineer unit capable of building a bridge being grouped with an armor and infantry company for protection at the bridge site), but you'd incur a penalty in execution while units located at a distance from the designated lead unit move to get in that unit's command range.

GoodGuy

.....KG 16.PzR (I/16,I/60, + atts) and KG 60.PzGrR (II/16, II/60, + atts) and additional smaller KGs (2-3 companies) sized groups.
No, only for the duration of the task, and it can't be used for new orders, like Jim said.
You'll have to rope or use the Ctrl-key.

"1/16" would be the 1st Abteilung (of) Panzer-Regiment 16, and "1/60" would be the 1st Bn (of) Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 60, for your first KG, am I reading your plan correctly?
The first Abteilung had received Panthers (43) prior to the Ardennes offensive, basically.

Your 2nd KG would then comprise of the 2nd Abteilung/Panzer-Regiment 16 and the 2nd Bn/Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 60. The 2nd Abteilung was a mixed tank Abteilung. According to Author Jung (in "Die Ardennen Offensive: 1944/45", 1971), 26 Panzer IV and 25 Jagdpanzer (only 13 of them operational) were assigned.
Other sources insist that some additional 5 Panzer IV, 23 Panzer V and 14 StuG were en route (to be used as replacements) to the Regiment, when the offensive started.
If that's true, I wonder when that extra-contingent had reached the Regiment and -if it had reached the unit - if such reinforcement schedule made it into the scenario.

Anyway, if you form these KGs, then you need to keep in mind that those 4 Bns (KG 16 + KG 60) will need 2 Regiment HQs, you'll overload the commander's/HQ staff's capacity, otherwise. For instance, you could detach Regiment 16 HQ, then detach its 2nd Bn (Abteilung) and attach the 1st Bn of PGR 60 (to form "KG 16"). You can then use GR 60's HQ in the same manner to form KG 60. Just make sure that such KGs have proper superior HQs/command staff. If you just group 2 Bns (without Regiment HQ) then you'll end up with an overloaded commander/HQ, as either the tank Bn's CO or the CO of the PG Bn will have to take over command + control (of 2 Bns). An overload may create holdups/delays and/or may be charged with a penalty (affecting effectiveness, cohesion, etc.).

Make sure you get proper setups for your "smaller KGs", as well, means: make sure you select usable Bn HQs, which you then use to attach your companies.

The engine sometimes reacted a tiny bit "allergic" if your custom KGs differed quite a bit from the organic OOB structure, in the past, but I'm not sure if this still occurs.

Last edited: