Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Bitmap Overlay

Hawk

Hello,

I recently scanned actual maps and saved them to bmp file. Followed the instructions (I think) to get the overlay to work but it still comes up blank. Maps are at 300dpi and split into 16 bmp files. Have a seperate folder in the root directory. Not sure if I have the MapScans set up right or not.

Hello,

I recently scanned actual maps and saved them to bmp file. Followed the instructions (I think) to get the overlay to work but it still comes up blank. Maps are at 300dpi and split into 16 bmp files. Have a seperate folder in the root directory. Not sure if I have the MapScans set up right or not.
The MapMaker program is very fussy about the spelling for the MapScan names. There must be a space between the "MapScan" and the number designating the tile -- e.g. "MapScan 0.bmp" is correct, "MapScan0.bmp" won't be recognized. It took me and a developer friend three weeks to work through a problem similar to what you describe only to note that the name of the file was the problem from the start.

Hawk

I have the file name correct but it's still a blank. Not sure if the resolution is correct with the MapScan bmp file or not.

This is one of the MapScan files out of the 16 I have saved as a jpg to upload....

Attachments

• MapScan 0.jpg
    MapScan 0.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 10
I have the file name correct but it's still a blank. Not sure if the resolution is correct with the MapScan bmp file or not.

This is one of the MapScan files out of the 16 I have saved as a jpg to upload....
OK.

I downloaded the map as is.

Used Paint 3d to convert the jpg. to a .bmp using "save as".

Copied it to the MapScans folder (I'm using the LnL install version 5.1.28 loaded on my computer).

Ran MapMaker for the 5.1.28 install.

Clicked "new" on the MapMaker file menu and used the default resolution.

Went to the MapMaker "Map" dropdown menu and toggled the Bitmap Underlay on (should also be able to use "<cntrl> U" on the map screen).

The bmp showed up in the new file as the underlay.

The scale appeared to be off, so the height and width ranges for the "new" file may have to be adjusted before toggling the Bitmap Underlay to get the same height to width ratio as the .bmp file.

I haven't used the tiled version of MapMaker to assemble a large map, so be sure to number your MapScan images according to the instructions on Pp. 32 and 33 of the MapMaker manual.

If you're using a Steam install, you can use the same process but would have to place the "MapScan 0.bmp" in the appropriate Steam Mapscans directory.

Hope this helps...

Hawk

I have the 5.1.31 version. Currently have the Map Scans folder in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Ops 2\Map Scans. Created a new map with default res. Selected the Map Data dropdown and rescaled it to the map scan res. Clicked on the overlay and still blank. Tried doing it the regular way and using the view ratio. No go.

Attachments

• Scale.jpg
    Scale.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4
I have the 5.1.31 version. Currently have the Map Scans folder in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Ops 2\Map Scans. Created a new map with default res. Selected the Map Data dropdown and rescaled it to the map scan res. Clicked on the overlay and still blank. Tried doing it the regular way and using the view ratio. No go.
There's no space between "Map" and "Scans" in the default folder.

If you created the folder in Steam, try renaming it without the space and see what happens.

Hawk

Ok tried renaming with no spaces and when I click on the overlay it CTDs every time. I get the loading icon then it crashes.

Hawk

Uh well. Ok. So I only had one mapscan in that folder and it didn't work...but when I added the other 15 mapscans to the folder it worked. Ok then LOL

Hawk

Here's what it looks like now...have it set to Bitmap Across 4x4

Attachments

• 2M Pixel Setting.jpg
    2M Pixel Setting.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 4M Pixel Setting.jpg
    4M Pixel Setting.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 32M Pixel Setting.jpg
    32M Pixel Setting.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 9
Ok, so, I guess, we can consider the issue resolved :)
As they say when they switch to commercials on sports casts in the US, "stay tuned" ;-).

I haven't worked on maps assembled from multiple tiles (4x4 or 16x16 MapScan files) and it looks like there's a problem scaling the map in so it can be composed for the game.

If you've done it for your scenarios, perhaps you have some advice if he runs into reassembly problems.

Hawk

I actually got it now in a decent scale at 8M per pixel now. Had to scale use Adobe Photoshop and split the seperate scans again into 2x2 sections and use the same in the map maker. Gonna work on this one and see how it goes.

Hawk

Only thing now is to get the terrain down lol..the colors on the underlay are different haha