Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Scenario creation thread. Follow along if you want

kohlenklau

Hi guys

I always enjoy making content for other games. Figured I would try for LnLTD as well.

Follow along with me and chime in with any suggestions you might have.

I will "loosely translate/convert" an old ASL scenario over to LnLTD..."Blazin' Chariots" (ASL5 from "West of Alamein" by Brian Martuzas)

5 miles northeast of Gabr Saleh, Libya 1941-11-19
Unit Counts:
Squads: A:0.0 D:0.0
AFVs: A:12
Stuart I(a) x 12

D:9
PzKpfw IVE x 2
PzKpfw IIIH x 2
PzKpfw IIIG x 3
PzKpfw IIF x 2
Guns: A:0 D:0

Overview:​

The 4th Armoured Brigade, probing northeast of Gabr Saleh, was driving a German recon unit before it. The Afrika Korps at last reacted, quickly forming several units of the 21st Panzer Division into Kampfgruppe Stephan which set out to investigate the reports of the British tanks. The Kampfgruppe located the tail-end regiment of the 4th’s and attacked. Cries for help brought the 5th RTR which arrived before dark and immediately counterattacked. . .
Attacker: British (5th Battalion, Royal Tank Regiment)
Defender: German (Panzer Regiment 5)

Misc Rules:Simultaneous setup. Late Afternoon Sun Blindness (F11.612)

Map Board(s):262728

6 turns​

1652030758751.png

kohlenklau

Below is a screenshot of the "Map Layout" editor. These maps seemed to adequately match the original ASL scenario. 32x30 hexes. As you can see, I had to reuse them but I think it is good enough. My LnL map is about 24 x 24 +/- hexes. Good enough compromise.

Last edited:

kohlenklau

"Scenario Info" editor where you put a lot of your details for the player briefing...

kohlenklau

Unit purchases...

Allies:
The original ASL scenario had NO armor leaders. Maybe it came out before they made armor leaders? I dunno.
12 Honeys for side 1. On map at the start in a set up zone on the right side, the east side, with them looking into the setting sun. Bloody Hell!
I think they were 4 DVP each. Desert VP.

Axis:
This was a bit more of a headache. The available types do not cover what I needed so I gotta make do with "artistic license" I suppose.
There is no short barrel 75 armed PzIV.

I REALLY WISH THERE WAS!!! WE NEED ONE FOR OST FRONT AND NORTH AFRICA.

I scrounged up some Italian armor to make do.

Last edited:

Compass Rose

I will continue more later today...
Great idea, kohlenklau.

Very interested in seeing the whole process as I just purchased the editor a few days ago.

Where did you get your ASL information from?

Is there a way to get all of the needed information need to do other scenario conversions for someone like me who doesn't own any ASL titles?

Thanks

kohlenklau

Where did you get your ASL information from?

Is there a way to get all of the needed information need to do other scenario conversions for someone like me who doesn't own any ASL titles?
I don't own them at all but I recommend just google ASL scenarios. There is a bunch of info out there. The "scenario cards" are all mostly digitized. Maps are also. I play a few other non-LnL wargames and have used ASL scenarios as loose "inspiration" or as a tighter aimed translation-conversion project.

kohlenklau

A good tip to help develop LnLTD scenario writing skills is if you see an existing stock scenario you like, you can (usually but not always) open it in the editor and immediately save with a new name. Make some fun changes to it, change units, change set up zones, change VP for units, etc.

Sometimes a scenario will have a warning it was written BEFORE the scenario editor was made....be careful that things might get goofy.

Compass Rose

A good tip to help develop LnLTD scenario writing skills is if you see an existing stock scenario you like, you can (usually but not always) open it in the editor and immediately save with a new name. Make some fun changes to it, change units, change set up zones, change VP for units, etc.

Sometimes a scenario will have a warning it was written BEFORE the scenario editor was made....be careful that things might get goofy.
Good tips and suggestions; Thanks!

kohlenklau

This is the scenario editor panel for "select/edit units". You go here after you already "purchased them" in "create units" (I think of it better worded as create OOB or create formations).

If you linger your mouse on some entry, you get an active help window which you often have to read very quickly before it goes away, or then just linger your cursor again to get it to pop up again. In this case I was in the entry field for VP points to assign a vehicle in the unit.

The select/edit units panel has a BUTT TON of things to tweak and change for any vehicle (this scenario is ALL vehicles but you can also edit squads, etc.) to add variety to the scenario. Make them sleepy and get off to a slow start for example. Also a very green crew can be designated. A nice variety of special skills can be designated to any vehicle as well. Tank Ace, Die Hard, etc.

JUST FOR THE RECORD: I am doing this to document what I do (so I remember!) and maybe help other guys. I am no expert and I am very inexperienced with THIS editor.

Later today or tomorrow I will show the victory conditions editor...

Last edited:

kohlenklau

I am trying to have a scenario with victory determined by a simple comparison of VP's racked up by each side from eliminating enemy units.
So far, IT DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK. I see the VP's rack up but the axis is always declared the winner even if they have less VP. Not sure why yet.

kohlenklau

download it from my dropbox link below free of charge and follow instructions in the "readme" to test play it if you like...

NOTE: Once I feel it is ready for prime time, I will upload to the LNL Steam location for fan's scenarios...

Last edited:

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
I am trying to have a scenario with victory determined by a simple comparison of VP's racked up by each side from eliminating enemy units.
So far, IT DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK. I see the VP's rack up but the axis is always declared the winner even if they have less VP. Not sure why yet.

You should only have one of those "Standard VP Comparison" victory conditions, not two. Right now it is sort of trying to figure out both (and they have competing requirements since the Side Attempting is different on each one).

kohlenklau

You should only have one of those "Standard VP Comparison" victory conditions, not two. Right now it is sort of trying to figure out both (and they have competing requirements since the Side Attempting is different on each one).
OK Tom, thanks. I will go and edit it and run some tests.

kohlenklau

A couple days back I used the unit editor and sprinkled in a bunch of skills with my vehicles. But then yesterday I was reading the HoNA rules pdf and apparently the skills ONLY work with leaders and armor leaders. So, I will get some armor leaders into the OOB's.

kohlenklau

I cannot get the victory to end properly. It seems to falsely score a victory to the axis even if shown score is an allied victory.
I am confused what to do or change. I might just start all over from scratch. THIS SCENARIO was based off of first loading a stock scenario and then renaming and tweaking. Maybe that has issues burned in and can't be totally "cleansed" to make it what I want? I don't know...

kohlenklau

I finally have it behaving properly for victory scoring! I found a stock scenario and took a screenshot of its settings and copied them exactly.