Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Difference between "Move" and "Defend" command

Hugo

Since the first iteration of the game (CO) I never really use the "move" command, as I tend to consider the "defend" command to be enough for my taste. Usually what I want is to relocate some units to somewhere, and the default stance when they arrive on site is to defend it.

The manual (page 80) state that :

Once the unit(s) have reached the order location they will automatically Defend there

So it seems that the two orders are quite similar ? Maybe I overwatch the use of the move command ? I can't really tell what are the difference between the two.

The only edge case I know is when you want to relocate a defending unit to somewhere nearby (like 500m away): the move command is more efficient (but defend without "retake position" checked tend to do the same AFAIK)

On particular scenario I have an hard time to adress correctly is when I want a unit to move rapidily along the road, and then go carefully inside a wood to take a defensive position here.

move defense0.png

Since you can't "stack" two different orders (like "withdraw" then "sleep") I guess the intended method is to:

• first issue a move command to the crossroad using "formation: road column, speed : fastest"
  • when the unit as done the task issue another defend task using "formation: line, speed: normal"
The problem I have is that it will incur order delay between the two tasks, which could really slow down the whole maneuver.

My "workaround" is to assign a unique defend task to the unit with waypoints such as below. I use "Formation : Road Column" and "Speed : Fastest" at first.

move defense1.png

And when the unit reach the crossroad, I modify the task and select "Formation : Line" and "Speed : Normal" as shown below.

move defense2.png

But it feels quite cumbersome, so I don't know if I'm doing it the right way or if I am "gaming" the engine. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

How do you will adress this scenario ? Any tips ?

And do you use the move command at all ? In which case do you find it superior to the defend command ?

Rob

But it feels quite cumbersome, so I don't know if I'm doing it the right way or if I am "gaming" the engine. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

How do you will address this scenario ? Any tips ?

Hi,

You're doing the same thing I am in attempting waypoints and task settings. No, I don't think either of us is gaming the game as this maneuvering would often happen in "real life". I'm pretty sure when Dave implements sequential tasking that there will be a more efficient way for this to be done. In the meantime at least there is a workaround.

Rob.

Hugo

The main difference is that for a Move order the options you set apply to the Move phase while the AI will use default parameters for the Defend at the end. This reverses when you use a Defend order.

Ok good to know. It seems pretty obvious now that you write it down, but I was confused before. I thought that when you move (or defend) in line formation, both the movement AND the defensive position would be in line. But it's not the case, and thus the 2 commands (move and defend) are quite different actually.

I'll try to illustrate that with a simple example.

Moving in "line" formation will result in the following movement
move_line.png

And the final units position will be someting like a "unspecified defense" as shown below:

position_move_line.png

Now if you defend in line, it's the opposite that you will see:

Your units move with an "unspecified" column formation

defend_line.png

But the defensive position is now a proper "line" formation:

position_defend_line.png

Thank you for the explanation. Seem pretty evident now :)

Last edited:

Hugo

Hi,
You're doing the same thing I am in attempting waypoints and task settings. No, I don't think either of us is gaming the game as this maneuvering would often happen in "real life". I'm pretty sure when Dave implements sequential tasking that there will be a more efficient way for this to be done. In the meantime at least there is a workaround.
Rob.

Ok good to know. Thank you for sharing.

When I'm talking about "gaming the system" is because I feel like I cheat the AI that is not able to leverage such subtility out of the engine. But eh, fairness does not belong to war time, does it ?