Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Any opponents for LnL VASSAL

wokman2b

Anybody available for some Lock n load VASSAL. Email or live is ok. Available most weekends and evenings. Flexible, patient.

Cantatta

Hello wokman2b,

I would be interested in the occasional live-play game on VASSAL. I am free on weekends for the most part, too, but may also be able to swing a weeknight now and then. What time zone are you? That could impact choice of time and day significantly. I am CST, or GMT-6. I am fairly familiar with the system, but by no means an expert. I use reference sheets and the rulebook regularly during play, yet still manage to get things wrong sometimes, but I am trying to improve.

I prefer the more modern era games in this system, post-Vietnam. Heroes of the Gap is my favorite, along with its expansions. Having said that, any LnL Tactical game is fun to play, so count me in. I have gotten to play a little bit of the new Heroes of Normandy game recently and like it quite well.

Let me know if you want to proceed and we'll arrange a time for a game.

wokman2b

Hello wokman2b,

I would be interested in the occasional live-play game on VASSAL. I am free on weekends for the most part, too, but may also be able to swing a weeknight now and then. What time zone are you? That could impact choice of time and day significantly. I am CST, or GMT-6. I am fairly familiar with the system, but by no means an expert. I use reference sheets and the rulebook regularly during play, yet still manage to get things wrong sometimes, but I am trying to improve.

I prefer the more modern era games in this system, post-Vietnam. Heroes of the Gap is my favorite, along with its expansions. Having said that, any LnL Tactical game is fun to play, so count me in. I have gotten to play a little bit of the new Heroes of Normandy game recently and like it quite well.

Let me know if you want to proceed and we'll arrange a time for a game.
Sounds good. The only games I currently have of the LnL system are Heroes of Normandy, the Nam, the Pacific. Heroes of the Motherland is on its way (just ordered it). I will be purchasing other volumes as they are released.
Weekends are ok. I am PST. I live in El Centro, CA (8 miles n/of Mexican border, halfway between San Diego and Arizona border.
I have tried VASSAL a couple time live and email. No expert here. Rules looker-upper as well. I don't mind that.

I can be reached here or (760) 996-5293 or salazar.mario@live.com. Have a good one.

Cantatta

It looks like I should have time to play this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. If you are up for a game, let me know what time is good for you. I am setup to use TeamSpeak or Skype for chatting, do you use either of those?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hi wokman2b !

Available to play by email. Let me know if you are still looking for an opponent.

wokman2b

It looks like I should have time to play this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. If you are up for a game, let me know what time is good for you. I am setup to use TeamSpeak or Skype for chatting, do you use either of those?
I have never used Team speak, but I am set up for Skype. Barring the unforeseen, I can be ready for a game Saturday evening after 6 pm PST.

Cantatta

I have never used Team speak, but I am set up for Skype. Barring the unforeseen, I can be ready for a game Saturday evening after 6 pm PST.

Sounds good, I'll plan to see you on VASSAL at that time, Saturday evening. We can connect on Skype then.

Cantatta

FYI - I'll be waiting in the new v1.3 Normandy module, but we can play anything you like.

Cantatta

Thanks for letting us know, I'll download it immediately! You have done a marvelous job with these modules, they make playing the game with VASSAL a real pleasure. Hopefully you will be doing more for the like of Falklands? Keep up the great work!

Cantatta

So we played a game last night from Heroes of Normandy, though I don't know the exact scenario, as I do not own this module, yet. My opponent owns it, however, and provided the scenario details. It was American paratroopers trying to capture a bridge on maps 14 & 17. The paratroopers land on, and control, one end of the bridge at game start, while the Germans control the other end, plus the bridge shack, if they so choose. It is a good battle, though the Americans have a rough time of it trying to cross the bridge in the face of so much firepower. Ideally, you'd like to make a river assault and hit both ends of the bridge at once. The battle lasted for about 3 1/2 hours, with the Germans managing to hold onto their end of the bridge. The Americans gave it a good effort, but in the end they had to withdraw and regroup.

Thanks to wokman2b for being a great opponent. I think we are both about the same skill level, though I think wokman2b has a bit better understanding of the rules. His patience and understanding are very much appreciated. I feel like my grasp of the rules has improved again, which is definitely a good thing. There is still plenty of room for improvement, though. Time to hit the rulebook again.

Looking forward to our next game!

Cantatta

Wokman2b,

I will be available for another game this weekend, if you are free and have the time. One suggestion for a battle is River of Blood from Heroes of the Blitzkrieg, which is another river crossing. However, the Germans are attacking this time and have rubber boats to make a river assault. This scenario also includes 1-2 ordinance weapons and a couple of vehicles. The SSRs for this one are minimal and it uses only a single map, #22. Take a look at this scenario when you have time and let me know if you want to give this one a try. I have a custom VASSAL module for this which I will get to you, whether we play this scenario or not. It's nice to have the module to go with the physical game.

The alternative choice might be the battle of Carentan from Heroes of Normandy. This one is pretty much an infantry-only battle between German and American airborne units. Germans defend against American attack, another tough battle for the 101st as they try to clear the town and consolidate the D-Day beachheads. I will have to rely on you to provide the details for this one.

Give it some thought and let me know if either of these appeals to you. I am also open to any scenario you may wish to try, just say the word!

wokman2b

Wokman2b,

I will be available for another game this weekend, if you are free and have the time. One suggestion for a battle is River of Blood from Heroes of the Blitzkrieg, which is another river crossing. However, the Germans are attacking this time and have rubber boats to make a river assault. This scenario also includes 1-2 ordinance weapons and a couple of vehicles. The SSRs for this one are minimal and it uses only a single map, #22. Take a look at this scenario when you have time and let me know if you want to give this one a try. I have a custom VASSAL module for this which I will get to you, whether we play this scenario or not. It's nice to have the module to go with the physical game.

The alternative choice might be the battle of Carentan from Heroes of Normandy. This one is pretty much an infantry-only battle between German and American airborne units. Germans defend against American attack, another tough battle for the 101st as they try to clear the town and consolidate the D-Day beachheads. I will have to rely on you to provide the details for this one.

Give it some thought and let me know if either of these appeals to you. I am also open to any scenario you may wish to try, just say the word!
Hello,
In San Diego till late Saturday. Sunday around 4-6 would be a good start time. Will know for sure by Friday.

Cantatta

Unfortunately, I will not be available Sunday evening. So, let's try again next weekend, OK?

Cantatta

Hey guys, just a note that the module has been updated again. v1.4.
Have fun.

I wanted to give you a little feedback. I noticed there isn't a rubble marker in the module, so thought I would request one.

Great work on the newest VASSAL modules, keep it up! Looking forward to seeing the new modules as you get them completed.