Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

State of the WaW Series/ Goals for the near future

Matt Lohse

As the Series Developer for the World at War Series, I thought it would be a good idea to start the new year with a description of what I want to accomplish/ have happen in the series in the near future. The following are not in any particular order and should not be viewed as an exclusive list.

1. Have an updated/clarified rule set. Each WaW game to date has had its own rule set, which means that people are often referred to the most recent games one. Each of the rule sets often have some items specific to them and/or are missing items relevant to other modules. I want to have general rule set that applies to all games/expansions that we can always refer to (rather than see BnB, now see TUS, now see AC, now see the next game). Any rules specific to a module (say special infantry types) can then be put in the special rules/scenario book for that module only.

At the same time, I view this process as a chance to go back over the rules very carefully. Whenever possible, I want to clarify rules that are ambiguous and/or the subject of lots of debate. I also view this as a chance to try and address any balance/gaming issues that have arisen (a past example of this would be the passing on formation activation in Blood and Bridges which has since been disallowed). I want to have this process be open to suggestions/comments on the LnL, CSW, and BGG forums as I am sure other players have encountered issues I have never thought of. I hope to provide more detail about this and have a more formal announcement about this project in later this evening.

2. Have some tools/information for people thinking about designing something for the WaW series. One of the real strengths of the WaW series is the number of people who have designed something, be it a scenario or a module. Having more people involved means there is more material and also that it often covers unexpected topics. I have been working on a FAQ list for designing things for WaW and hope to post that in the next couple of weeks. I also want to design a module (for which I do have a topic in mind) on the various discussion boards as sort of a step-by-step tutorial on how one can go from an idea/suggestion to something that is ready to be tested. The hope is that materials/tool like these will help more people in the community design things… something I really want to encourage.

3. Get more WaW products out. I am aware of a couple of WaW projects that people are working on and I hope to be working on a small module in the near future as part of the design tutorial. I also hope to get to work on a stand alone WaW game in the next couple of months (a couple of topics are on my short list). All that said, I really want to encourage the community to develop things as well. The more people designing stuff, the more WaW stuff there is for everyone to play. The tools above are meant to help with this, but I am also willing (my schedule permitting) to work with people to help them design modules… I can do a lot of the early stage work (counter lists, scenario ideas or drafts) if someone else can do some of the initial research and help run the playtesting.

Falkon00

I am in a spot with World at War and the Lock n Load series... I am a newer player who has none of the items in the series... I see talk for both games of doing scenarios and things in the near future, but what is anybody doing for the new guys, to help grow this product... I would think a base game reprint would be tops on the to do list so that newcomers can get on board. I can't be the only guy out there that doesn't have any of the base games. Matt I know you said it is on the to do list... just antsy that 's all.

Last edited:

Matt Lohse

The base game reprints (of ones that are out of stock) are a priority and will happen. The TUS reprint is basically waiting on me to complete the rules revision. Once TUS is done, I am sure BnB and EG Deluxe will be reprinted as well although I don't know which would go first.

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
World At War 85 Series v2.0

Hello Everyone,

Matt, Keith and myself have been working on how we are going to be bringing the series forward. After talking and discussing this with them I am very excited on what is being planned.

We are going to be changing the name of the series to World At War 85. We will have all the games in the series updated sometimes combined and any limited edition items will be made available when possible. We will also be providing a new history outline of events leading up to the outbreak of war as well as a backdrop as to what lead to the War.

Going forward many of the places and units will be made up but we also plan to have "Historical" units and places to battle in. We will not be going forward with any horror base themes or stories in the series.

You can expect a lot more coming soon in the World At War 85 Series.

David