Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Assault on Vierville LOS Question

Ty Snouffer

In the AoV scenario walkthrough, Turn 3 Impulse 9 there is a fire action from 15D4 to 15G6. Isn't that LOS blocked by the blocking terrain in 15F5? Or does this get into the silhouette question I had earlier?

image.png

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
Section 1.4 states that the terrain in a hex is determined by the feature surrounding the center dot, in this case a HC Building. So for the LOS to be blocked in this example, the building graphic would have to be on both sides of the LOS string. The small bushes in this hex are for aesthetics only.

Ty Snouffer

"Section 1.4 states that the terrain in a hex is determined by the feature surrounding the center dot, in this case a HC Building."

So the hex terrain is HC Building but that isn't for the whole hex and since the building graphic isn't crossed by the LOS line it isn't blocked. Do I have that right?

I've never played a hex game with such precise terrain. Admittedly, I haven't played many tactical games though. I don't mind (I think), I'm just used to binary terrain features as in the entire hex would block or it wouldn't.

Thanks

Barthheart

Staff member
Ty, you have that correct. If the LOS string doesn't touch the building, as in your pic, it's not blocked.

Herb

Ty, there is an exception to LOS being blocked when it does NOT cross an actual building depiction. Let's say for example you were firing from D3 to F6, and there was a building in E5 as well as F5. The LOS goes exactly along the hexspine between E5 and F5. The LOS would be blocked in that case. see pg. 30 of the rules, section 10.3.2 (LOS along hexsides)