Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

FAQ - Font Size - Why does the text overrun the dialog?

Shadrach

Has any progress been made on the DPI scaling issues? I think it will be important to improve this before moving on to Steam.

Here's what things look like for me on 150% scaling.

kpSLk5a.png

- Controls dialogue is way too small
- Tools is a complete mess
- Bottom menus are way too small (almost impossible to read)
- Force has overflow issues
- Message log text is too small
- OOB text is too small
- Text in "Plan" dialogue does scale, and is fine.
- Unit icons do not scale (not such a biggie)

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
This is not a support issue but a feature request. We have never claimed that the game could run in any scale other than 100%. I do appreciate why you would want it to though and yes it is on our wish list along with a lot of other things. Hopefully once we have the game selling on steam we will be able to commit to this but it won't be happening beforehand.

Rwenstrup

I no longer play this game because of the issue with terrible user interface scaling. I am amazed that this has not been fixed, as this is the only game I have...and I have a couple of hundred wargames...that has had this problem and not fixed it. Dave...really...you should fix this. It is not font size only. It is the inability of the software to work in higher resolutions. I've tried every combination from 1280 up to 2250 and tried changing dpi settings, etc. The design simple does not scale.
This is a very basic design issue that is the responsibility of the designer/seller. Not fixing the problem tells the customer base that you do not care about the money they have committed to your game. I have bought every game you have produced in this series...and I am very disappointed in what you have done here.

Kurt

The reality is that the revenue produced by this game does not provide Dave with a wage , let alone hiring more programmers to fix all the issues mentioned . Once the Steam version is active then hopefully increased sales will result in increased work on CO2 .

Kolbex

The lack of UI scaling is a pain, but this is not the only game that suffers from it. For example, Battle Brothers over on Steam also had been waiting on a UI scaling patch for some time.

rekim

I bought Command Ops 2 on day one. Have yet to play it because of this issue : (

AndrejS

Hopefully this UI issue will be sorted soon enough so i can really buy something. Right now, i've only installed the free core, will wait for the patch to make the game playable on higher resolutions with 100%+ system font size. Until then, there's plenty to watch&learn on Youtube.

AndrejS

The lack of UI scaling is a pain, but this is not the only game that suffers from it. For example, Battle Brothers over on Steam also had been waiting on a UI scaling patch for some time.
You know, the problem is, we're not discussing Battle brothers here and we all WANT to play CO2. Nowadays, we all have bigger monitors with resolutions, where one really cannot use default sized fonts. Having to change it to 100 and logoff and logon before playing CO2 is pain... I'd really want to see this issue solved because the game has potential. I'd buy big pack right away if only fonts would enable me to play the game as it was meant to be played. I don't mind other bugs, they'll be corrected sooner or later but if fonts won't be sorted out, i cannot even start the game. So, please give us some feedback about the plans regarding this issue, last replay is now more than six months old.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
The bottom line is that the current MFC engine is not going to allow us to fix the scaling issue easily if at all and keep our UI skin. If we ditched the skin and used standard MFC dialogs then maybe we could do it. But that would take a lot of work and end up looking like sh*t. So I have ruled that out. The best way to fix the problem is to migrate the UI from MFC to the Unity graphics engine. That would allow us to do so much more with the UI, including supporting proper transparencies and 3D terrain maps if we so desired.

But that option is going to involve a big commitment of time and money. Our estimate is between one and 2 FTE (full time equivalents). Sales from the LNL portal are not enough to support that development effort. Hence why we have focused on getting CO2 onto Steam. We have to reach a bigger audience. I won't know for a couple of months whether this move is going to pay off in terms of more sales and whether those will be sufficient to pay for a change to Unity.

I know this is not want you want to hear but that is how it is at the moment.

AndrejS

Thanks for your speedy reply Dave. To some extent, sales figures and UI are intertwined, but let's hope for the best. I did all i could to help you with, just bought the Commander pack 1. Now i'll keep my fingers crossed the update will come.

AndrejS

Well, no money, no change. Hope you'll get enough additional funds to solve our issue too. Do we have enough good reviews to convince people into buying the game? With only 10 mins of play, i'm not able to post my opinion on Steam.

cdcool

The bottom line is that the current MFC engine is not going to allow us to fix the scaling issue easily if at all and keep our UI skin. If we ditched the skin and used standard MFC dialogs then maybe we could do it. But that would take a lot of work and end up looking like sh*t. So I have ruled that out. The best way to fix the problem is to migrate the UI from MFC to the Unity graphics engine. That would allow us to do so much more with the UI, including supporting proper transparencies and 3D terrain maps if we so desired.

But that option is going to involve a big commitment of time and money. Our estimate is between one and 2 FTE (full time equivalents). Sales from the LNL portal are not enough to support that development effort. Hence why we have focused on getting CO2 onto Steam. We have to reach a bigger audience. I won't know for a couple of months whether this move is going to pay off in terms of more sales and whether those will be sufficient to pay for a change to Unity.

At least you are being honest now, It is very disappointing. It's a great game, it's a shame.
Not sure how you can put the game on Steam as is, you are only going to get more complaints or refund requests. That's not cool.

AndrejS

At least you are being honest now, It is very disappointing. It's a great game, it's a shame.
Not sure how you can put the game on Steam as is, you are only going to get more complaints or refund requests. That's not cool.
Yea, that's what my first reaction was too. But then i changed the Windows font size back to 100%, bought the big pack and i don't regret it. I'm on 2560x1440 resolution so i'm on "safe side", but if your on 4k resolution .....

cdcool

Yea, that's what my first reaction was too. But then i changed the Windows font size back to 100%, bought the big pack and I don't regret it. I'm on 2560x1440 resolution so i'm on "safe side", but if your on 4k resolution .....

Yeah, I'm on 4K with everything, including Paradox games, which made the adjustments. Everything scales the way I want it too, including Shrapnel Games MBT from 1996 which was updated for 2017. If you don't have the money to fix it, that's an honest answer, is it really acceptable for those that bought or who are going to buy the game? .. NO

Kolbex

Yeah, I love what of the game I have played, and I've watched videos and read Daz's superb AAR, but this is really the #1 thing preventing me from playing CO2 right now (and thus potentially buying more expansions). It's a shame, really. Wish it could be otherwise!