Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

UI is black in fullscreen mode

profanicus

My native res is 2560x1440. Since the UI is quite small at this res, and doesn't scale, I'm trying to run the game in full-screen mode at a lower res.

But in fullscreen the UI dialogues are all black. This occurs regardless of the fullscreen res selected (even native).

See image:
yG9jPL4.png

This is on a GTX 780, driver 347.88 (17th March 15).

profanicus

By full screen, I mean any of the full screen options on Startup:
BNSntNZ.png

The UI displays correctly when using the 'Match current screen resolution' option.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Ok that's interesting. The remaining full screen option is a 4 x 3 format. Your actual screen size is a 16 x 9 format I wonder if that's forcing a rescaling. Can you please try out one of the other 16 x 9 formats and let me know if that works properly. Thanks.

profanicus

I've tried them all, and they all give the same black UI.

I don't think it's a scaling issue, as the full screen native res option also exhibits the same behaviour.

I also tried turning off scaling in the GPU control panel, so the game runs with black borders rather than scaling at lower res, and the same issue occurs.

profanicus

Have you tried selecting Match Current Screen Resolution?
Yes, I said that earlier. That works, but the UI/font is too small at my native res. That's why I'm trying to run at one of the listed lower resolutions (1080p).

The solution is to change my desktop res before and after playing, but I had hoped those days were behind us. :)

Shadrach

Any fix for this black UI issue yet? This issue combined with the missing scaling is really keeping me from playing the game like I'd want.

xNMI8Wb.png

I know I could set DPI scaling to 100% but text and buttons would then be really small and straining on the eyes, and it's a real hassle to have to change DPI Scaling in Windows just to play a single game, and then have to change it back.

X.ray

I have the same issue. The full screen options are not useable. The only way I can play this game is to set my font size to 100%, reduce the screen resolution manually from 2736x1824 to 1920x???? or below, then close all other applications, sign off, sign on again. If I only change font size to 100% but don't reduce the screen resolution, all the in game text will be like something written on a sesame. After playing the game I need to change everything back and sign off, sign on again, before I can use other applications normally. It's such a PITA that everytime I feel that I really have to have a very very strong conviction before starting to play this game.
My OS is Win 10 Professional.

profanicus

I have the same issue. The full screen options are not useable.

The "black UI in full-screen" was recently fixed in the Steam version, but unfortunately I don't think that fix has been applied to this L&L version yet.

Steam keys for existing module owners aren't quite here yet either, so I guess we need to wait a bit longer.

X.ray

The "black UI in full-screen" was recently fixed in the Steam version, but unfortunately I don't think that fix has been applied to this L&L version yet.

Steam keys for existing module owners aren't quite here yet either, so I guess we need to wait a bit longer.
Thanks. Good to know. I don't have steam installed on the laptop that I'm running CO2, so would hope for an update for the L&L version as well.

Shadrach

For Windows 10, if you update to the Creators Update (you can do it manually), there are big improvements to the DPI scaling. For CO2, you are able to go into the properties of the CmdOps.exe, then choose "System (Enhanced)" under "Override high DPI scaling..." on the Compatibility tab.

This solves most of the scaling issues for me, the blurriness is almost completely gone, no black backgrounds, and fonts the size they're meant to be. I also use the LnL version.

Only drawback is when moving dialogs around, I notice the outline of the selected dialog is a lot smaller than the actual thing, which kind of make sit hard to place them. I think this is related to the windows performance setting "Show windows contents while dragging", which I suspect most have turned on anyway these days. I have it turned off though, because I like it better that way :) I've also seen this minor issue in other apps since the CU and Windows itself, so I hope it will be fixed some day soon.

X.ray

For Windows 10, if you update to the Creators Update (you can do it manually), there are big improvements to the DPI scaling. For CO2, you are able to go into the properties of the CmdOps.exe, then choose "System (Enhanced)" under "Override high DPI scaling..." on the Compatibility tab.

This solves most of the scaling issues for me, the blurriness is almost completely gone, no black backgrounds, and fonts the size they're meant to be. I also use the LnL version.

Only drawback is when moving dialogs around, I notice the outline of the selected dialog is a lot smaller than the actual thing, which kind of make sit hard to place them. I think this is related to the windows performance setting "Show windows contents while dragging", which I suspect most have turned on anyway these days. I have it turned off though, because I like it better that way :) I've also seen this minor issue in other apps since the CU and Windows itself, so I hope it will be fixed some day soon.
Thanks. Yes I upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 and now it works properly under the default option. It is still black though using other resolution options, but guess it's not my concern anymore.

PantherPiet

with me the problem still exists. I have a 4K screen and i can only play in the 'match current screen resolution' mode. But if I do so, then the mapscreen tears apart horizontally when I zoom in. The roads, rivers and unitpositions and unit-routes do not correlate anymore. I have this problem for over a year and I do not play the game since then, because it is unplayable.

Bie

with me the problem still exists. I have a 4K screen and i can only play in the 'match current screen resolution' mode. But if I do so, then the mapscreen tears apart horizontally when I zoom in. The roads, rivers and unitpositions and unit-routes do not correlate anymore. I have this problem for over a year and I do not play the game since then, because it is unplayable.

I also have a 4k widescreen monitor and I've had a similar problems. The solution for me was to first adjust the screen resolution of windows to 2560x1080. After which I start the game and select the "Match current screen resolution" option before continuing. Since I did this I have encountered no problems with the UI or the maps.

profanicus

Have you tried the Steam version?