Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Air Assault

wtexas

Is it safe to conclude that when Turns #1 and #3 begin, the transportation helicopters are already hovering over the hexes they intend to drop the troopers?

Maurice Fitzgerald

Staff member
Website
moesgametable.com
The Huey's will be in flying mode, and will have to move to the LZ with the troops on board within one hex of J5, the planned LZ. The helicopters enter in their default flying mode. Helos have unlimited movement factor, and can change to hover mode to offload passengers once at the desired location. The first wave is removed from the board (must exit) by the end of turn two, once they offload their passengers. The second wave comes in turn 3 and must exit the map after offloading troops by the end of turn four, so you have two turns to successfully offload the troops and use any firepower factors.

Helicopter rules {14.0} should detail all of this for you. Hope this helps!

wtexas

So I can do all this in a single turn if I am the US Player:

1. Move flying transport helicopter to landing zone;
2. Change helicopter mode to hovering;
3. Unload any troops from the helicopter.

The troops are unable to move on the turn they are unloaded.

Is this correct?

Maurice Fitzgerald

Staff member
Website
moesgametable.com
I'm assuming this is scenario 1 Desperate Hours that you are asking for?
As stated in the scenario setup. The first transport wave is setup on turn one and is they must exit by the end of turn two, and their troops must be offloaded. The second transport wave arrives in turn 3, and must exit the map after offloading troops, by the end of turn four. So you have two turns to successfully offload the troops and then change flying modes and use any firepower factors in support. Attack helos must exit by the end of turn 3.

Ted Werner

So, now i am really confused.

It is Turn One and I have my transport choppers off board.
Fire Phase: nothing happens. I can't fire as I am off board
Movement Phase: I move to the LZ.
After moving, I change from flying to hover (sounds weird, but okay)
I unload my guys.
Rule 14.0 (6) Says once I unload my guys, I remove the chopper.

When exactly do I get to fire? Do I have to loiter around the LZ and not unload my guys on T1 so I can fire on T2?

I assume the Attack Choppers only get to fire on turn 2 and 3, correct?

Maurice Fitzgerald

Staff member
Website
moesgametable.com
I'm a wee bit out of it right now as I'm recovering from surgery and am getting attack and transport helos mixed up in my head, I blame the muscle relaxers and pain meds.lol

Transport helos have low firepower as their weapons are more defensive rather than offensive, IIRC, attack helos have more than 4 times the firepower of transport helos. Transport helos are there to drop off troops and immediately beat feet out of dodge back to base, but they can fire their weapons when offloading troops. Look at it as covering fire for the exiting troops.

Attack helos are available on turn one and can be used for attacks on turns 2-3, as long as they stay hovering. Turn one is where you will set them up, engage with them on turns 2 and 3 and then change movement form hover to flying on turn 3 and then they RTB.

Ted Werner

Thanks for the reply.

I still don’t get how Transport Helicopters get to fire when off loading since the fire phase happens before the movement phases (unless you are saying they have a special ability to fire during movement).

The rules as written suggest they will never fire unless they refuse to unload in their first turn on the board.

Maurice Fitzgerald

Staff member
Website
moesgametable.com
No, they do not have any special ability to fire when moving. They can fire only when hovering, the same as any helicopter, but can fire when offloading troops. Transport helicopters are there to ferry troops, not engage in fire combat really, since their weapons are defensive and very low powered. If you look at the fire results table, they only have a 1 in 6 chance of hitting and only cause a disruption result if they do.

If somehow you really wanted to fire those helos, you'd hover and wait for the fire phase and then offload the troops. That's what that means, being able to do both. There is no special rule regarding transport helicopters. Does that help make is more clear to you?