Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Overrun against units in Foxholes

Stefano G.

Hello everyone,
15.3 Overruns rule states that defender can only roll 1D6 whithout adding any TM;
but the case that infantry defender units are in a hex with Foxholes marker, gets me intuitively thinking that defender units should benefit Foxhole TM (+1) when facing enemy vehicles Overrun...
what do you think about?

Barthheart

Staff member
Hmmm... the rules state that overruns can only take place in open, brush, low crops etc. ie terrain types that have no positive terrain modifier.
SO maybe you can't overrun infantry in foxholes at all because foxholes give the hex a positive TEM.
That's the way I've been playing it.

Stefano G.

Hmmm... the rules state that overruns can only take place in open, brush, low crops etc. ie terrain types that have no positive terrain modifier.
SO maybe you can't overrun infantry in foxholes at all because foxholes give the hex a positive TEM.
That's the way I've been playing it.

Hi Barthheart,
from LnLT WW2 Manual 4.2 (to v4.2.1b BETA) Version:

Vehicles with machine guns or other main armament can Overrun infantry (MMCs and SMCs) in Clear (or other non-water, open-type terrain), Brush,Low Crops, Road, or any pertinent module-specific-terrain hexes.

Where did you find that vehicles can not overrun in terrain types that have positive terrain modifier?

It seems credible to me that vehicles would have had no problem to overrun against infantry hidden in foxholes in Open Terrain

Last edited:

Barthheart

Staff member
I didn't find it in the rule book. It's just that none of the types of terrain listed in the rule that you can overrun have a positive TEM.

MichaelCD

Would a foxhole really give any terrain advantage/modifier when being overrun by a vehicle? I get the feeling it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Stefano G.

Would a foxhole really give any terrain advantage/modifier when being overrun by a vehicle? I get the feeling it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Hi MichaelCD,
foxholes should give more advantage than a simple open terrain...try to think an hail of bullets and HE shells against an exposed and with no cover infantry and compare that with a foxholes hidden infantry instead...and i am not referring to the mere physically "running over" ("crushing") the target but to the tank massive fire, which an Overrun should mainly consist of and for which a foxhole should give a best defensive modifier than open terrain, IMHO.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The rules as written allow overrun against infantry hiding in foxholes in non-water, open-type terrain (such as clear,road, and the like), since foxholes terrain type are liste as "per hex terrain". That being said, I would not allow ovrrun againt bunkers, even though they are, also, "per hex terrain" (in fact, the bunker is a separate hex within the hex it resides).

Also, the rules don't make any mention of adding the TM to the defender's d6 so, technically, you would not get the foxhole benefit against overrun. That being said, you could house-rules it; it willnot be a game breaker, considering the deadly effectivness of overruns