Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Eisenbach Gap in miniature

seneffe1

For quite a while my regular gaming partner and I were looking for a way to get back into 'cold war gone hot', having gamed it (pretty unsatisfyingly) in miniature as a teenager in the 1980s when it was 'ultra-modern'. Full disclosure- I am a dyed-in-the wool miniatures gamer, and although there are quite a few miniatures systems around these days- none of them really seemed right for various reasons.

My gaming partner though is much more board game savvy and a couple of years ago picked up Eisenbach Gap, and later BnB and other 1st generation WaW games. I was hooked on the system immediately- not weighed down with tech detail but all the key system characteristics captured well, a real emphasis on battle management, and a world away from the super-gamey "I'll just buy the one compulsory platoon of motor rifles but max out on Shilkas as I can also use them as an independent unit for for tackling any ATGWs....." approach that you can get in some miniatures systems.

Loving the game system but being a complete leadhead, and always being intrigued by the concept of board/miniatures crossover, it was an obvious choice to 'miniaturise' Eisenbach/WaW.

We render the Eisenbach game board out into 3d miniature with the very nice Kallistra Hexon 4 inch hex terrain, but a custom made battle mat might also work well. Obviously kallistra can all be reconfigured for other boards or purposes. For the playing pieces, we chose to use the newly re-released 'Action 200' 1/200 scale range from Skytrex. These are big enough to identify from a distance, but they don't overwhelm the terrain, and engagement ranges look good. We play the rules without any alteration, and use scaled up versions of many of the original counters to manage the game, but we've created miniature wreck, disrupted and smoke markers for nice visual effect. We have two vehicles or troop stands for a full strength platoon, removing one if the platoon is reduced.

We play the game quite a bit and have demonstrated it at a few shows in England most recently at 'Colours 2017'. I didn't take any photos but the nice folks at Kallistra did. Here's their link if you want to take a look.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/KallistraLtd/

Also I've uploaded a few thumbnails of various other sessions.

Hopefully of interest. Would welcome any comments.

seneffe

IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0733.JPG 20161120_101747.jpg IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0733.JPG 20161120_101747.jpg fe

Loving the game system but being a complete leadhead, and always being intrigued by the concept of board/miniatures crossover, it was an obvious choice to 'miniaturise' Eisenbach/WaW.

Hopefully of interest. Would welcome any comments.

Bravo! I've been (slowly) working towards a board / mini crossover using Lock N Load Tactical for some Vietnam miniaturised action but I'm years away from your production quality... if ever!

It looks like you have incorporated a version of the game counters into the miniature bases, correct? 1 vehicle or 5 men per equivalent counter, am I right? How do you handle counter flipping? Do you have a flipside counter that you place on top of the front side counter?

I would love to game it with you!!!

- Charlie

seneffe1

Thank you Charlie- very kind.

The data square at the rear of the minis bases is just to identify the unit, troop type, and speed. We experimented with a version of the unit counter printed on the min base but they were too small. So we created some data cards (don't have a picture at present) with all all the vital info for each type at full and reduced strength.

Actually the way we handle counter flipping is that a full strength platoon has two models/troop bases. When a platoon is reduced we just remove one model/base from the table and the reduced platoon carries on with just one vehicle/base. More detail than you probably need but one of the pair of bases which represent each platoon is marked slightly differently from the other- like the pale stripe on the reduced counter. That way we can keep track of the reduced units to avoid them being wrongly paired up with other reduced units as the game wears on, and new full strength units thus appearing when they shouldn't.

Would be great to play with you too.

seneffe

PS attached a photo of our chit cup!

Attachments

• IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6