Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Alpha sort of Estab units in Scenmaker

Rosseau

I see when editing estabs there is a sort feature, but when working in the Scenmaker, it seems the estab forces just show up randomly.

Would save a lot of designer time searching for that specific unit if there was a sort feature. Unless I'm missing something...

Rosseau

For custom Estabs, I would sort by alpha, as the designer can use his or her own naming convention when creating/editing units. Personally, I'd do 1A (Army Group HQ), 1B (Army HQ) etc. until we get to the first Panzer Div HQ and its units. But I'm sure the military has a better way :)

For custom Estabs, I would sort by alpha, as the designer can use his or her own naming convention when creating/editing units. Personally, I'd do 1A (Army Group HQ), 1B (Army HQ) etc. until we get to the first Panzer Div HQ and its units. But I'm sure the military has a better way :)
The military may not have a "better way" but it does have a logic to its naming conventions and particularly unit designations on maps. If your scenario is to be reality based it would be helpful to use the conventions available to name units at the echelon of command for a country's force you're modeling.

If it's a new country's force, using the designations on counters (you have roughly five spaces to designate each unique counter on the map one fewer if you use wide letters such as "W" or "M") that relate a company's relationship to it's commanding battalion HQ, and Battalion HQs to regiment / brigade HQs is a minimum for clarity and consistency.

You can get an idea how to do it by looking into the naming styles in Estabs identified in SceneMaker.

You can find some guidance in the Estab Editor manual on Page 17. It basically says don't stray too far from what is already in place with naming styles.

Rosseau

The module Estabs are quite professionally done. And if you have a plan, you wouldn't require a sortable feature for the Estabs in ScenMaker.

Unfortunately, I did not when I redid all the COTA Axis units, so a sortable list would have come in handy. My goal is to make wider use of the many weapons systems available in the database, as well as "creating" some new stuff. For the Allies I will switch to the BFTBE Estab, which I should have done in the first place. Very ahistorical, so not of much interest to anyone.

While I am usually here crying and moaning about lack of patches, there is no game I know of where this kind of detailed weapon modeling can be done. Grigsby's War in the East/West comes closest. Anyway, lots of fun!

The module Estabs are quite professionally done. And if you have a plan, you wouldn't require a sortable feature for the Estabs in ScenMaker.

Unfortunately, I did not when I redid all the COTA Axis units, so a sortable list would have come in handy. My goal is to make wider use of the many weapons systems available in the database, as well as "creating" some new stuff. For the Allies I will switch to the BFTBE Estab, which I should have done in the first place. Very ahistorical, so not of much interest to anyone.

While I am usually here crying and moaning about lack of patches, there is no game I know of where this kind of detailed weapon modeling can be done. Grigsby's War in the East/West comes closest. Anyway, lots of fun!
I worked for the US Army in logistics on the development of support for new weapons systems -- called at that time "research and development" phase for building and deploying a new weapons system.

While I focused on the equipment it was essential to understand the military structure in order to do the best job for inserting that equipment into an existing combat structure and the relationship of the unit receiving the equipment I supported to both higher and lower echelon forces.

Part of building that understanding was using the same naming conventions and structural alignments even if entirely new combat force designs were part of the research and development effort.

Rosseau

Yes, keep it simple may be what you're saying. I'm sure you might have been tempted to do otherwise with the new assets on which you worked so hard.

In fairness, The Operational Art of War IV Equip Editor also lets you do some modifications. But not to the depth of CO2.