Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Getting started in LnL Tactical

Ralph Ferrari

Staff member
I would suggest starting with the recommended Starter Scenarios in either Normandy or Motherland. Pacific has a lot of Module Specific Rules. Defiance has some larger scenarios and maps with multi-level hills that can be tough when learning the system. Pacific and Defiance are outstanding modules, but ones that you may want to tackle after you gain some experience with the system.

Nick DelCorpo

I would say just tackle one element at a time, either infantry or armor, and then play one with both, keep the counter density low and try to avoid too many Scenario Specific Rules (prob avoid Pacific). There are some nice easy ones in Defiance featuring Dutch versus German. Also, check out the extra scenario (depending on what version of Pacific you have it may be included with the game)featuring Dutch. Japanese in Indonesia. While the landing rules add a bit to the start, its an easy one once you begin. Give yourself some nice line of sight as well else it will be a ton of melee. Not so good for learning but great when your down to the last turn! Also, Vassal is so good!

So, one of the LnL Tactical games mentioned (particularly Defiance) is a good starting point? How about Solo? I have no opponents in my area, so I tend to go solo.

Rydo

A good way to start if you have Normandy is to download the scenario "Assault on Vireville" since it has only squads, leaders, a medic, a sniper and support weapons and an event.

At least, i started with A friend in need from Vietnam and from there i worked my way up.

Ln'l is very easy to learn so don't worry :)

Many thanks, Rydo! I was thinking of starting with either Vietnam or Defiance based on the posts above, but maybe I'll go with Normandy instead. I'm a big WWII nut anyway! Merry Christmas!

Chris Friend

Consider the Starter Kit. Even with several modules on hand myself that's where I'm going to start. The SKs give you the counters and a couple scenarios each for WWII and Vietnam.
No vehicles but as with any tactical game, starting with infantry only and associated support weapons make great sense.
Best if all the SK is only 10 bucks from LnLP.

Nick DelCorpo

Merry Christmas Colonel, If you don't have an opponent nearby you can always do solo. I've never tried the Lock N' Load version but for some reason I just can't get into solitaire more then learning or for historical insight. I would recommend vassal, which is a great way to play on-line via GUI (all free). I would be more then happy to show and play anytime. and as a better answer to your original question, If i had to buy one game to start with it would prob be Defiance. There is enough meat there to hold your interest for awhile. The starter kit is good if you never played Lock N Load before and just want to get your "beak wet".

Ben Moeller

Sorry my keyboard went down and I didn't realize it until I his "Post Reply". Anywho yes I think Chris his the proverbial nail on the head when he suggested the starter kits. Like him, that is how I started, I had already purchased most modules but still went back to the modern starter kit to learn. They also have starter videos you can watch I think. Yes, it is not a difficult system to learn if you have played just about any other tactical system (ASL, Combat Commander, etc). Rule book looks daunting but it is intuitive. I practiacally started just using the player aids alone. Good luck and thanks for serving!

Merry Christmas Colonel, If you don't have an opponent nearby you can always do solo. I've never tried the Lock N' Load version but for some reason I just can't get into solitaire more then learning or for historical insight. I would recommend vassal, which is a great way to play on-line via GUI (all free). I would be more then happy to show and play anytime. and as a better answer to your original question, If i had to buy one game to start with it would prob be Defiance. There is enough meat there to hold your interest for awhile. The starter kit is good if you never played Lock N Load before and just want to get your "beak wet".

Many Thanks, Nick! And a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! I am indeed leaning towards Defiance, the starter set, and the expansions for Defiance.

Well, phooey! Too much good advice, guys! I can't decide between Normandy, Defiance, Africa, the Falklands, or Mogadishu. So...I got the starter set and the Solo module to have on hand when my gamer ADD subsides and I can decide. :woot: And I thought fly-fishing was intricate...

Rydo

Well, phooey! Too much good advice, guys! I can't decide between Normandy, Defiance, Africa, the Falklands, or Mogadishu. So...I got the starter set and the Solo module to have on hand when my gamer ADD subsides and I can decide. :woot: And I thought fly-fishing was intricate...
Welcome on board!