Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Any Chances for a Battle Generator for The Bear and the Jackal?

Todd Zirkle

The Soviets were in Afghanistan for 10 years,there would be plenty of Material for Gaming Goodness ;)

Rydo

The Soviets were in Afghanistan for 10 years,there would be plenty of Material for Gaming Goodness ;)

I don't know if a battle generator can suffice.

This conflict will require a proper module...but maybe there is not enought demand for it?

I've never saw too much wargames about this war, also i don't know much about it but what happened other than ambushes or raids?

Possibly the fact that this was a communist war and most of Ln'L players are Americans can be another factor.

Why don't you start working on something? The community will help! :)

I'll throw in my two rubles. The Soviets started the war with an institutional bias towards European operations. They mounted many large-scale block and sweep and air mobile multi-battalion operations, but as time moved on and they started learning lessons, they switched to a more defensive posture supplemented by smaller scale ambush and air mobile raids on Muj forces. Convoy defense, static position defense, ambushes, and Spetsnaz raids were all a feature of their later involvement. Thus, I really think there is a lot of material that could be explored in this game!

Todd Zirkle

I Would like to try my hand but I do not have a clear idea where even to begin.

Last edited:
If you haven't, try reading a few general works on the war..."Afghantsy", "The Great Gamble", and "The Soviet-Afghan War" are all good. For a REALLY good treatment of Soviet tactics, the best work is "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" which is an actual translation of portions of the Soviet General Staff's AAR of the war. I know of many translations and staff studies and papers from the Army War College, but I don't know if they're commonly available.

Todd Zirkle

I Refer to "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" and "The Other Side of the Mountain" as well as " The Soviet-Afghan War" pretty regularly.