Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Getting started in LnL Tactical

Another question to you LnLT gurus out there: if you use Plexiglas or Perspex sheets for your maps, what size works for these games? I've been looking at map sizes in the various games and I know individual maps will be combined for different scenarios, so what would be a good all around size of sheet to get cut? Thanks in advance!

Barthheart

Staff member
24"x36" is large enough for the biggest scenario I believe.. unless you have the X-maps for Noville or Dark July.
I like that size because it works for a lot of other games as well.

Perry Pender

Whag would people suggest as the best scenario(s) to play to learn LnL Tactical? I have Motherland, Defiance, Pacific and Normandy

Tough as Nails is a good starter IMHO, it is a largish scenario, but not overly and it also has lots of toys for you to use various rules with.

Reactions: Zac
Well, I have started reading the rules in the starter set: to those of you that recommended this, THANK YOU! My first impression when looking at the rules was "Whoa! And this is the STARTER set???" After jumping in, however, I became immersed almost immediately and was pleasantly surprised at just how well everything goes together and at how intuitive everything is. I'm taking it slow, and digesting everything, but I'm REALLY impressed already. I'm pretty sure I'm going to really like this game...

No it is in Heroes of the Motherland, a really good starting point once you have played the starter kit, I can promise you this system will drag you in big time.

Regards

Perry

Thanks Perry! I can already tell that it will drag me in, but I guess there are worse things to do with money...like eat. :happy: Anyway, I've also been looking hard at Heroes of the Motherland, so your suggestion is well-timed!

And the decision is in...Heroes of the Motherland and Days of Villainy. I didn't get the Battle Generator for Heroes of the Motherland yet since I decided there should be enough in there to keep me busy for a while. The Libya civil war just looked too intriguing not to pick up as an alternate to the Ost Front. Good call on my part?

Perry Pender

And the decision is in...Heroes of the Motherland and Days of Villainy. I didn't get the Battle Generator for Heroes of the Motherland yet since I decided there should be enough in there to keep me busy for a while. The Libya civil war just looked too intriguing not to pick up as an alternate to the Ost Front. Good call on my part?
HotM is a very good call, you will enjoy it 100%, DoV I do not own, but I have the feeling you may need day of Heroes to play it, but I may be wrong, either way you are in for a lot of fun.

all the best

Perry

Thanks for your advice about HotM: I got a lot of great advice in here, and it all boiled down to HotM having a campaign as well as scenarios. As for Villainy, it says you just have to have any core product...which is why I decided to get that one as well. Now all I need after delivery is a couple cases of beer, a couple bottles of bourbon, and about 4 feet of snow! :) Thanks again to you and everybody!

Perry Pender

Thanks for your advice about HotM: I got a lot of great advice in here, and it all boiled down to HotM having a campaign as well as scenarios. As for Villainy, it says you just have to have any core product...which is why I decided to get that one as well. Now all I need after delivery is a couple cases of beer, a couple bottles of bourbon, and about 4 feet of snow! :) Thanks again to you and everybody!
Bourbon and snow, have not been out to America in a long time, I miss good Bourbon and the large amounts of snow you boys get out there. I hope you enjoy the system, I love it, and think it is really very well done.

all the best

Perry

P.S grab 'Dark July 43' to add to the collection, awesome little module.

Afternoon Colonel,

Nice to hear about another LnL player in Virginia! I'm with the USN here in VA these days (Navy Chaplain), and while I've done VASSAL before with other games, I haven't entered the LnL Tactical world on the platform yet. Honestly, I've got AWESOME memories of face-to-face ASL battles with a friend in Cali, so prefer FTF tactical combat. Depending on location, availability, etc. maybe at some point in the future we could engage in a HotM battle or two!

All the best sir!
Richard

Afternoon Colonel,

Nice to hear about another LnL player in Virginia! I'm with the USN here in VA these days (Navy Chaplain), and while I've done VASSAL before with other games, I haven't entered the LnL Tactical world on the platform yet. Honestly, I've got AWESOME memories of face-to-face ASL battles with a friend in Cali, so prefer FTF tactical combat. Depending on location, availability, etc. maybe at some point in the future we could engage in a HotM battle or two!

All the best sir!
Richard

Richard:

Greetings to you, sir, and please call me Dave! Not only am I new to LNLT, but I have never experienced Vassal at all, unfortunately. Like you, I much prefer FTF: my best Boet (a former Captain in the SADF) and I have been trying to do modern miniatures via Skype, but the challenges are many and it's nowhere near as satisfying as in-person play. So, like you said depending upon location, I'd certainly be up for a FTF encounter of HotM in the not-too-distant future!!! Oh, I also recently added HotP to my growing LnLT collection. Not much Navy activity in my neck of the woods (I'm in the Shenandoah Valley) so I assume you're in the Norfolk area?

All the Best...and BEAT NAVY!!!!! ;-)

Dave

Correct Dave! I'm in the Norfolk area (at least for the foreseeable future ;)

Open to traveling some weekend/federal holiday for some FTF HotM/HotP combat; in fact I've got friends and some family in the western parts of the state, so it might not be too painful to arrange some gaming at some point! I'm not on FB (anymore!) but am happy to coordinate via this forum/email/whatever works best...

Might be good to look out say, 2-3 months and see what might work and maybe we can triangulate on a date that works.

All the Best...SEMPER FORTIS!
Richard