Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Solo - Determining AEO decision on melee targets

If I've overlooked this in the solo system rules or charts, let me know. I've searched and can't find it referenced so I assume it's a judgement call situation.

How are you resolving target selection when an Artificial Enemy Opponent (AEO) unit engaged in melee determines which single or multiple Player Units (PU) to target in melee? The situation may make the choice obvious. For example, victory hinges on the outcome so the AEO would make a low odds attack against a larger PU force on the chance it eliminates all of them and retains victory for the AEO.

What about earlier in a scenario when the outcome is uncertain? Seems like the AEO unit might want to take the highest odds attack it could get or perhaps target a single PU that has the highest IFP versus a low probability of success attack against a large stack. High likelihood of one casualty versus low likelihood of many casualties?

I'll cross-post this over on BGG as well to see what the input is there.

Here is an example:

Melee Example 1.jpg
The USMC is Player controlled and the VC is AEO controlled.

In this image, the USMC units entered Hex G2 (sorry no Move counter) to melee the VC. The VC half squad is shaken, but Hero Quan, with the Rage skill (+1 FP during melee) is able to fight back. The firepower of the USMC units is 9 (with a +1 on the die roll from Sgt. Ash's leadership modifier). Quan, using Rage, has a FP of 2.

The USMC will eliminate the VC without a doubt, as the odds are 5:1 in their favor and they get to apply Sgt. Ash's leadership modifier. The AEO has a few different options against the PU group:

1) Hero Quan targets the entire stack: Odds of 2:9 = 1:3. Shifted to 1:2 on the melee table due to Quan's Hero ability for a kill number of 10 or higher.
2) Hero Quan targets two USMC squads: Odds of 2:5 = 1:2. Shifted to 2:3 on the melee table due to Quan's Hero ability for a kill number of 9 or higher.
3) Hero Quan targets two USMC squads: Odds of 2:4 = 1:2. Shifted to 2:3 on the melee table due to Quan's Hero ability for a kill number of 9 or higher.
4) Hero Quan targets the 3 IFP USMC squad: Odds of 2:3 = 2:3. Shifted to 1:1 on the melee table due to Quan's Hero ability for a kill number of 8 or higher.
5) Hero Quan targets one 2 IFP USMC squad: Odds of 2:2 = 1:1. Shifted to 3:2 on the melee table due to Quan's Hero ability for a kill number of 7 or higher.

It's something I could resolve using my own judgement or randomize selection via die roll...I have no problem with either. Just curious if there was "official" determination over how the AEO would act or what other players do.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hi Ryan

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of the combat results. At this point it is a judgement call. I can see this as a future chart that can be put up. Much of the decision on which one to attack would be based on the game situation. I can look to flowchart this out and put up a chart for testing. Let me know if you'd be interested in taking a look at it and providing feedback. It could take me a few weeks though.

thank you in advance
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing

Good to know, thanks, Sean. I would be happy to help with any feedback if/when you get to that point.

Starman

Sean +1 for testing , also please consider adding to movement stances and movement for l9aded APC's or tank riders e.g. Options for unload and move, move out of lof towards objective etc.