Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

What Are 4K X-Maps

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
What are 4K X-Maps? 4K X-Maps are really two products in one. The X-Maps part are simply larger maps as before for use with our Lock ‘n Load Tactical game series. X-Maps are comprised of larger hexes, which contain nearly twice the area of the standard hexes used in our Lock ‘n Load Tactical series. X-Maps are 11” x 17” in contrast to the 8.25” x 12.75” dimensions of the standard maps.

What Does the 4K Element Add?

4K adds to our X-Maps in many ways starting with our new map style that uses a much more minimal hex grid design. It also includes more custom map terrain and buildings giving each map its own style. We also use much more minimal hex grid design that shows less hex grid and more map. You will, of course, receive all the original maps that are included in the game (Heroes of Normandy as an example) and some additional maps all in this new style. Some of the scenarios require you to pretend certain terrain or features of the map are not there or are to be exchanged with other types of terrain. A scenario might say "All fields are to be considered Clear terrain etc." For those scenarios, we have made new maps that already have the terrain changed. We also have a list of the scenarios which states which map to substitute, allowing the player to be more immersed in the game. These maps are NOT needed to play your games but are an enhancement for them. The first two games that been updated to the 4K style are Heroes of Normandy and Heroes of the Nam. We will be keeping the X-Maps as they are now available for those want to those. These should be priced around $25.00 - $35.00 and available this month.

Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Cover.jpg Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps Difference 2.jpg Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps Difference 3.jpg Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps Difference.jpg Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps.jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Cover (1).jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Features Difference (1).jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Features Difference 2.jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Features Difference 3.jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Features Difference.jpg Heroes of the Nam 4K X-Map Features Maps.jpg LnLT HON-Board18-redone sample.jpg

I am queued up to buy the Solo kit and Heroes Of Normandy and want to take advantage of the "Add X-Maps". Will the 4K maps be an add on option before the sale expires?

Alex Mundo

What do you mean when you say the 4k maps will include more “custom” terrain and buildings? Are these terrain and building tiles that can be used to customize a map beyond what’s already printed on them?

ChuckB

dont think they are going to hit before the sale ends according to a message I got from David via facebook.

That’s a missed opportunity (on LNLs end) - always make it as easy and tempting for customer to spend their money on your products. I’m really tempted to buy LnL Tactical heroes of Nam (and would add the 4K maps for that) to my order of the Normandy 4K maps (although I really don’t need another Tactical game, as I still have not played many of the scenarios in the ones I already have) but this is how my (consumer) brain works - make me a good offer and I buy a lot of stuff I really don’t need ... o_O

Last edited:

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Guys,

Almost every building is a stand alone design. I added a picture to this post to better show you what I mean. We could not get the new 4K-X-Maps out in time of the sale but we didn't want users not to be aware of them so they could hold off on purchasing the older style X-Maps if they felt the new 4K X-Maps fit there desires better. I was hoping to have them done but a issue on my Mac delayed them.

David

Attachments

• Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps Difference.jpg
    Heroes of Normandy 4K X-Map Features Maps Difference.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 32

ChuckB

Hi David,

Thanks for the info - I really like the 4K maps, especially the low visibility hex-sides (I'm the one who almost always turns off hexsides in computer wargames ...)

Just to make sure I understand: it sounds like the 4K package will actually contain more maps than the standard X-map package for each game: (1) a 4K replacement of all existing maps of the package PLUS (2) an additional replacement for some of these 4K maps for certain scenarios (labeled as "b") maps - is that correct?

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Chuck,

Yes the 4K X-Maps will have the original maps in the new style and then additional maps that take away the need to "pretend" some terrain is there or not. Here is a made up example: Scenario "High Noon At Normandy" states to use map 14 but all Wheat Fields are now consider Clear Terrain. We will state on the inside cover of the 4K X-Maps that Scenario "High Noon At Normandy" use map 14B instead of map 14 and you can disregard all terrain changes for that scenario. The image below on the left is the current map and the image on the right is the new 4K X-Maps. Notice all the buildings are different and the Bocage on the left map is now Hedges on the right. You will notice the difference in the hex style as well. I hope that clears this for and of course ask any questions you guys may have.

David

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 20.00.04 copy_1.jpg

Barthheart

Staff member
Any plans to add these nice new art work, scenario specific, low visibility hexside maps to the VASSAL modules? :)

JDube

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing anywhere here where I can order a set of these, and there is a Youtube video of someone showing these off.

ChuckB

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing anywhere here where I can order a set of these, and there is a Youtube video of someone showing these off.

David posted last that they may be up for ordering in the store on Monday ...