Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

The future of Command Ops?

J. van Limpt

So what can we expect for the future for this game? I know Patton is coming, but after that I would like to see CO going to the eastern front, preferably 1944/45. Are there any plans yet?

So what can we expect for the future for this game? I know Patton is coming, but after that I would like to see CO going to the eastern front, preferably 1944/45. Are there any plans yet?
I can't speak for the developers, but from what I understand, completing the Patton module is a first priority while work is being done on the East Front module on a separate development schedule.

Keep in mind that most scenario development activities are performed by volunteers and the pace of module development is impacted by their ability to schedule that work around their day jobs and family time.

The availability of volunteer time to address new scenario and module development can't be controlled by Panther's management.

Keydet

Being the designer for KOAD I can tell you I am revising the scenarios to make them better and fix errors. Also adding one new scenario. This one is very tactical. It is the prelude to Preiss Knocks and Blumentritt's Big Knock. These two assume Skorzeny's raids on 14th Cav Group is successful to one of three outcomes. The scenario will be Skorzeny's raids night of 15/16 Dec. I do not know when I will be done. I have made it through three of the 12 scenarios. Have other none game tasks to attend to as well.

Last edited:

J. van Limpt

Being the developer for KOAD I can tell you I am revising the scenarios to make them better and fix errors. Also adding one new scenario. This one is very tactical. It is the prelude to Preiss Knocks and Blumentritt's Big Knock. These two assume Skorzeny's raids on 14th Cav Group is successful to one of three outcomes. The scenario will be Skorzeny's raids night of 15/16 Dec. I do not know when I will be done. I have made it through three of the 12 scenarios. Have other none game tasks to attend to as well.

Sounds very interesting. Thank you for this information.

Iconoclast

...I (personally) don't care about more scen packs. I won't buy any before I see that CO2 actually gets new features. I am happy with the scenes at hand, but with so many things missing, I can't enjoy them. Smoke, Obstacles, Dismount/Mounted Ops etc.

That is of course, as always, my personal view.

Regards,

A

J. van Limpt

Would to be possible to have some insight in the road map for Command Ops, as the makers of this great game see it? Personally I think this is one of the best wargames in this genre and expansion to the Eastern Front, especially 1943-1945 would attract many gamers. This game is far superior to the John Tiller games (don't get me wrong, I love them) and the much better AI of CO2 could draw many people that are quite frustrated with the mediocre AI of the John Tiller games. Apart from that CO2 looks so much better too.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
BTW if I would be a customer, I would like to see more DLCs which are smaller in size.
E.g. I'd prefer to see Crete DLC, Greece DLC, Libya 40 DLC etc for like 10-20 bucks each, rather than one big pricey Mediterranean pack. May be it's just me, though.

KCH001

I agree that more smaller expansions rather than big pricey expansions is a more attractive proposal. I would love to see more early war scenarios.. Either the Fall Gelb, North Africa or the attack on DK / Norway. East Front would also be great, but I would prefer to relatively low unit density battles rather than an all out slugfest.

john connor

For me, 1. Fix pathing so that HQs, arty, bases and support units never lead out front, whether attacking, moving, probing, whatever. I can organise my side so this doesn't happen, but I can't help the enemy AI with this. 2. If point 1 doesn't fix the issue with the relative lack of AI arty in many scenarios then get to the bottom of that and fix it, 3. some method of making sure that when a scenario designer painstakingly sets up units in trenches or fortifications or dug-in historical positions at scenario start the game AI doesn't just wreck all that from the off by moving to what it considers better (non protected) positions as soon as the game starts - this habit also leads to much enemy arty being on the move at game start and unavailable for bombard. The usual proposed solution is some level of designer scripting. 4. mounted ops

A lot of work there!!

Iconoclast

For me, 1. Fix pathing so that HQs, arty, bases and support units never lead out front, whether attacking, moving, probing, whatever. I can organise my side so this doesn't happen, but I can't help the enemy AI with this. 2. If point 1 doesn't fix the issue with the relative lack of AI arty in many scenarios then get to the bottom of that and fix it, 3. some method of making sure that when a scenario designer painstakingly sets up units in trenches or fortifications or dug-in historical positions at scenario start the game AI doesn't just wreck all that from the off by moving to what it considers better (non protected) positions as soon as the game starts - this habit also leads to much enemy arty being on the move at game start and unavailable for bombard. The usual proposed solution is some level of designer scripting. 4. mounted ops

A lot of work there!!

Just out of curiosity, how many years ago now was CO2 released?

I hope I haven't bought the game and all the modules again to see the money for CO2 go into fixing CO1.

I always defended the series, always recommended people buying it, but the lack of '2' in 'CO2' has completely turned this around. The lack of communication is amplifying my growing discontent.

Regards,

A

Just out of curiosity, how many years ago now was CO2 released?

I hope I haven't bought the game and all the modules again to see the money for CO2 go into fixing CO1.

I always defended the series, always recommended people buying it, but the lack of '2' in 'CO2' has completely turned this around. The lack of communication is amplifying my growing discontent.

Regards,

A
The release of CO2 coincided with the move from Matrix Games to LnL Publishing.

At the time CO2 was released, the developers said there would be no more maintenance on the Matrix version of CO1.

83Reforger

I’m a newbie... first post.

I like the real-time on the fly aspect of this game. Not your run of the mill hex based game. I like the tactical decision making that is needed. I’m a retired Ranger, and enjoy the study of tactics, especially WWII tactics and just overall the history.

I have read there was some conflict with the previous publisher regarding Conquest of the Aegean. Although I would like to see the East depicted more, as a former Airborne soldier myself, I would love to see “Conquest” come back.

I own many of the tactical genre of games, specifically the Matrix titles. Too many are small cities with pieces that depict too large of a unit. One large tank depicts a unit, and it is more strategic than tactical. As an example, the Close Combat series, which is a good series, doesn’t give you any geographical sense of accomplishment.

Command Ops 2 offers everything I would want in a tactical simulation. I would hope the future would find the developers creating scenarios for D-Day, Italy, maybe even the Scandinavian campaign. I would enjoy seeing scenarios built on the battles fought in the Japanese theatre.

I look forward to many years of playability with this franchise. I hope they continue to build and enhance this great title.

john connor

Welcome!

Conquest of the Aegean is afaik available as a pack for CO2. I certainly have it. Or are you playing CO1?

83Reforger

Hi John, not sure what afaik is. Could you steer me to where it might be? I’m thinking of buying the big pack of scenarios.

john connor

Sorry. afaik is just short for as far as I know....

Conquest of the Aegean (CotA) was split into 2 packs for CO2 (both of which might be in the 'big pack', not sure) with some (mainly north african) scenarios added over and above those in the original CotA - those packs are The Cauldron and Foothills of the Gods.

HenricE

I for one would actually settle for high-res topographical maps to play on. That would be such an upgrade in terms of parsing the map information and, quite frankly, visuals that it would last me a good long while.