Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Ordnance Vs Infantry

My player aid card lists a +1 modifier to the attcker’s roll if the target moved (same roll that gets a -1 for HEAT). However, I don’t see any mention of this in the rules.

My opponent has a slightly different reference card from a different module, and this modifier isn’t listed.

Is my card correct?

Art Hall

The player aid cards from the 5.0 rules list that +1 target modifier if they moved............as do all the other modules I have...........makes sense, hitting a moving target is tougher than one sitting still and that goes for shooting anything from .22 rifle on up.

But... a +1 modifier on the attacker roll indicates the fire is more effective vs moving infantry.

...and this modifier isn’t there on the revision 8 reference card, so I’ll assume it’s an error.

Time to fire up the color printer...

ChuckB

The player aid cards from the 5.0 rules list that +1 target modifier if they moved............as do all the other modules I have...........makes sense, hitting a moving target is tougher than one sitting still and that goes for shooting anything from .22 rifle on up.

I know that you are discussing ordnance vs infantry but what would then be the reason for the +1 DFT modifier for attacks on non-vehicle targets (which clearly works in favor of the attacker)? It seems that moving makes vehicles harder and infantry easier to hit ...

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Benjamin Kindt, is this + 1 applied to the to-hit roll (as the term attacker roll seems to imply) or to the damage check roll (as your reference to the -1 for HEAT in non-building area seems to imply) ? Which player aid card are you looking at?

ChuckB, the rationale behind this +1 for DFT has always been the the target are exposing themselves by moving, increasing their chance to get hit.

I know that you are discussing ordnance vs infantry but what would then be the reason for the +1 DFT modifier for attacks on non-vehicle targets (which clearly works in favor of the attacker)? It seems that moving makes vehicles harder and infantry easier to hit ...

Hello,

The fact is that attacking moving units (Inf or vehicule) with ordonance is harder than using lighter weapons. An ordonance weapon is heavier and harder to use. You also need to anticipate the target trajectory to hit. Easier to do with a machine-gun with a faster firing rate.

So, on OFT for Ordonance, you get a +1 to your to-hit roll (which is bad), and on DFT (For weapons that are not ordonance) you also get a +1 (which is good here).

Hope its clear :)

Rcub3

The confusion comes from the attack total once you have secured the hit with Ordnance vs infantry. The OFT is very clear in indicating that a moving target adds a +1 to the To Hit roll. But what Ben is asking is whether this modifier is also applied to the Attack roll...

In the new Player Aid pdf under Resources on this site, it states that:

If Hit:
A = Die + HE * (*-1 if H vs infantry not in hut, building, etc)

Previous player aids say something along the lines of:
A = Die + HE* (*-1 if H, +1 if target moved)

So what he is asking is, is the attack total also modified by the fact that the target moved? We couldn't find a +1 modifier to the attack roll under 14.0, so we ignored that extra +1.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
IIRC, in a previous version of the rules (we're talking version 1 or 2 here), that +1 to HE-equivalent for moving target was indeed spelled out in the rules. At some point, it was removed form the rulesbook). Most of us assumed if was no longer in use (there was probably some discussion to this effect) but it seems it survived on the player aid card, even in the newer editions (just checked on HoN).

Will try to get you an answer on this.