Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

How long to create a scenario?

JArraya

I am very tempted to start designing some scenarios based on Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily during WW2.

Before I start, can someone give me an idea of the time and effort required in designing a map and a scenario. I am knowledgeable with computers and have some experience designing scenarios for other games.

Thanks!

Kurt

Hi lArraya , currently it takes a long time ! If you have a few spare hours each day then give it a try , it is very rewarding . A new map import tool is in development which will speed up map creation in a huge way . I would suggest modding an existing scenario first so you can get a feel for them .

I am very tempted to start designing some scenarios based on Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily during WW2.

Before I start, can someone give me an idea of the time and effort required in designing a map and a scenario. I am knowledgeable with computers and have some experience designing scenarios for other games.

Thanks!

I'd second Kurt's recommendation.

If nothing else, you learn lots about the game mechanics while developing the scenario.

I haven't developed as many scenarios as Kurt, but my process is:

1. Develop a file of source data on the history of the battle:
a. Topographical Maps
b. Combat maps.
c. Narratives of the combat sequence at a strategic, operational, and tactical level. (here's a good source: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/nav.html)
d. Detailed descriptions of opposing forces (orders of battle ideally to the company level), tables of organization and equipment from squad levels up to highest echelon of command you anticipate.
e. Biographies of key commanders -- ideally their actions during the battle.
f. Sequence of events (key dates for battles, reinforcement schedules, etc.)
g. An overview of weather patterns (ideally daily weather reports during the battle) for the combat area. In absence of specific reports, get something that discusses the typical climate for the region during the time period and use that to extrapolate a weather pattern including sunrise / sunset.
h. if desired, see if there is anyone in the forum interested in the battle and cooperating in developing it.

2. Trace a new battle map or identify an existing map for the battle (MapMaker)

3. Develop the forces (EstabEditor / SceneMaker). This can be simplified by cloning forces from standard existing Estabs BFTB is the West Front standard, COTA depicts forces from the African campaign including Australian and New Zealand, and WestWall depicts late 1944 to 1945 forces.

4.Lay out the combat sequence on a map (SceneMaker)
a. Identify and rate objectives, and supply entry points
b. Place and emplace the starting forces on the map.
c. Locate and identify reinforcement arrivals
d. Set supply levels, and supply flow constraints.
e. Conceptualize air support concepts,

5. Test fix test fix etc.

6. When you're happy you've found the obvious issues with the combat flow and fixed them, ask for a beta test from players.

7. Announce the release and see how it goes.

JArraya

Kurt, Jim,
Thank you both very much for your replies and Jim thanks for the clear process guide. I will start collecting the research data (I have a lot of it already from the excellent book "A Bitter Victory" which inspired me to try to do this) and then I will probably see if anyone wants to cooperate with me on this project.

Just in case people read this, I would like to do a scenario starting at the battle for Primasole Bridge (Operation Fustian) in eastern Sicily starting from D-day to about Day 4, where the British 1st Airborne and later the 50th Infantry Divisions faced up against elements of the German Herman Goering, German 1st Parachute and Italian coastal forces.

It's a fascinating battle that initially went horribly wrong for the Brits and the bridge changed hands a couple of times in a few days. If anyone is interested let me know.

Kurt, Jim,
Thank you both very much for your replies and Jim thanks for the clear process guide. I will start collecting the research data (I have a lot of it already from the excellent book "A Bitter Victory" which inspired me to try to do this) and then I will probably see if anyone wants to cooperate with me on this project.

Just in case people read this, I would like to do a scenario starting at the battle for Primasole Bridge (Operation Fustian) in eastern Sicily starting from D-day to about Day 4, where the British 1st Airborne and later the 50th Infantry Divisions faced up against elements of the German Herman Goering, German 1st Parachute and Italian coastal forces.

It's a fascinating battle that initially went horribly wrong for the Brits and the bridge changed hands a couple of times in a few days. If anyone is interested let me know.
Now that I see the type of scenario you'd like to build, I'd suggest looking in the forum for the discussion on development of "Scope of a Scenario - Platoon level - Pegasus Bridge" (https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/24212) and opening Red Devils over Arnhem and Arnhem Second Wave (both in the Highway to the Reich scenario pack) for some insight into building scenarios with relatively small unit (brigade and below) airborne operations. All dealt with British airborne forces, combating Axis Forces are akin to the Herman Goering Division forces in the Arnhem scenarios. Cloning those forces would give you a foundation for building an Estab with some care taken to identify the differences between 1943 and later 1944 organizations.

This may help with the orders of battle:

http://niehorster.org/000_admin/000oob.htm

Tainster

Thanks!
Hi,

Command Ops 2 has so captivated me that I felt that it could be even more immersive to design and build a scenario although, as mentioned by Kurt & Jim, I think that I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew! One of the problems that I've suffered has been basic software crashes, but this is a topic for another discussion, and something I'd want to come back to.

I'm currently working on developing a scenario based on Operation Ladbroke, which was the initial confrontation in Operation Husky. I was hoping to work my way through the whole of Operation Husky culminating in the final Axis evacuation at Messina. If you're interested in a collaberation, it would be great to get something going.

JArraya

Hi,

Command Ops 2 has so captivated me that I felt that it could be even more immersive to design and build a scenario although, as mentioned by Kurt & Jim, I think that I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew! One of the problems that I've suffered has been basic software crashes, but this is a topic for another discussion, and something I'd want to come back to.

I'm currently working on developing a scenario based on Operation Ladbroke, which was the initial confrontation in Operation Husky. I was hoping to work my way through the whole of Operation Husky culminating in the final Axis evacuation at Messina. If you're interested in a collaberation, it would be great to get something going.

I've been wanting to do this for a long time - would love to collaborate.
Send me an email: jarraya @ gmail . com

john connor

I would love to do something from one of the Kharkov battles. Operation Star, or Gallop, or a small slice of them. The last time I made a scenario was the Kursk set I did for CO1, many years ago. I found the map making very enjoyable (though it took ages). I tried to get to grips with Estabs and failed (it seemed very repetitive and back-breaking...), so in the end borrowed or adapted already existing estabs. I would have to get to grips with estabs properly to do something from Kharkov, since at the moment there's no good soviet estab available.

Good luck with Husky!