Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

A Feat of Arms Coming Soon

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
A Feat of Arms is an expansion module for Lock ’n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Falklands. Play 12 scenarios on six new X-Maps, including a new Port Stanley Map for a revised take on Operation Rosario, the initial Argentine invasion. Other new terrain includes rugged hills—for new battles on Mt. Harriet, Wireless Ridge and Sapper Hill—and a grass airfield, for the SAS’s audacious raid on Pebble Island and the ferocious final action of the Battle of Goose Green. Across the islands, the bold British Paras and Royal Marines fought well-armed Argentine Army conscripts and Marines defending vital terrain and counterattacking upon lost ground. The conditions were harsh, with most of the fighting done at night, among minefields and under heavy mortar and artillery fire.

In April of 1982, Argentina invaded the British sovereign territory of the Falkland Islands, in the South Atlantic. The Argentines had long claimed ownership of the islands, which they called Islas Malvinas. The unforeseen attack and occupation sparked international outrage, and Great Britain quickly mobilized a naval task force to retake the islands, 8,000 miles from home. Relying on the élan of their professional and highly trained military personnel, the combined air, sea and land forces succeeded against the odds, victorious less than 80 days from the Argentine seizure of the islands. For the British, it was no less than a spectacular feat of arms.

A Feat of Arms Store Images Cover.jpg A Feat of Arms Store Images Maps.jpg

Tegularius

Hello:
A query: In order to play the module A Feat of Arms, in development, is it necessary to have the game Heroes of the Falklands only ?, or is another module necessary? I just bought the Falklands and would like to buy this expansion, but I want to make sure about the module dependencies.
regards

Ty Snouffer

Not sure how I feel about it, but I did notice that the last two LnLT releases (this and We Stand Alone) are X-Maps only. What are the plans for future maps sizes? No more regular maps in future releases?

EDIT: Now that I am seeing that We Stand Alone and Feat of Arms require the X-Maps from their respective base games, I guess I can revise my statement above to say I feel this goes against the spirit of the no gamer left behind ethos. Not a big fan I guess. You might have a lot of data showing everyone is buying X-Maps though. More LnLT products is better than less I guess.

Last edited:

Ty Snouffer

Pointing out that the Requirements for Feat of Arms is different between the Description Tab and the Components Tab. One says HotF X-Maps is required. The other does not.

Description tab
image.png

Contents tab
image.png

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Well, gamers were pushing us not to waste time with the smaller maps but if we hear enough gamers want the smaller maps also then we provide both. I starting to lean on providing both.

David

Ty Snouffer

I hear you and I have little doubt that the X-Maps are popular. A little too much praise IMHO, but I seem to be in the minority on that.

See my new edit above about no gamer left behind though. If LnLP wants to have an X-Map only product, fine, but I would rather see it being a self-supported expansion. Meaning either the additionally required X-Maps are part of the product or the product is designed in the first place to not require any maps that aren't part of the expansion itself.

To be fair, LnLP is juggling a lot of map formats.

I'm looking to may future purchasing decisions. "Alright, Feat of Arms is coming out! Oh wait, I need to spend $xxx more to play it." "Heroes of Nam Hue is coming out, alright! Wait, I have to spend $xxx more play it."

I'm 2 for 6 on the base games that I have X-Maps for. The only ones I have are the ones that came with the pre-orders back in the day.

Regardless, go where the market takes you. I'm just once voice. I don't get the hype on the X-Maps (don't get me started on the 4k maps), but if it works for the business that is great, I doubt I will be buying X-Maps to play expansions.

Nick DelCorpo

I have to agree with Ty. ATS did the same thing with large hex maps, and then small hex, and they flipped many times and it almost killed the system (I left after spending a ton of cash and time on a large collection). One of LnLT big advantages is that its modular for the most part(or was), now with the X-maps taking priority of the standard size maps it appears LnL may be doing the same as Crtical Hit's ATS. I for one do not like the X-Maps. I think they make the game look like its made for the Elderly and I think the features look better on the smaller map. I don't know if they are drawn with vector graphics but I seems to me that the smaller are sharper. The X maps make the footprint on the table much bigger as well. I made it a point to try and avoid the X-maps where possible and sold those which I had the standard size for. It just seems that the overall trend for LnLT is a lighter, funnier, version of what it was. Don't get me wrong, I love the system and I am not going anywhere.

Rydo

Since most known forum players are here i want to say something too.

X-Maps are a nice comodity if someone looks for an upgrade in the overall experience, but to me, X-M are only that, a comodity and not something really needed.

I really like them ( i have only the "free" ones included in the pre-order of HATRS ) but never really used them because of space.

I don't mind stacks of counters, so that should be the reason, also i'm too much used to small maps that playing on big ones feels weird.

The new 4k maps looks incredible and are surely a big step in upgrading the looking of the game but i was really disappointed that those were not small size too so i never even tought about getting them ( sorry Ln'L :( ) and i suppose many old players have done the same.

Also forcing to have a speific extension for a module destroys the original plan of keeping everything under a normal player's control ( yes ASL, i'm looking at you! ). Let's say i want to get this i also need Heroes of the Falklands and the X-maps extension? I'm sorry, but i don't want to be forced to use big maps.

I don't mind scenarios that requires multiple modules, but don't force me to play on big maps! :)

BTW Ln'L still a great work on this scenario pack and i'm sure those scenarios and maps will be great! I hope i can organize something with Nick and play those on day!

Good points Rydo! Yes for me X Maps are a luxury car vs a regular car normal ‘size’ Maps.

I believe all games and modules should have either one map size (whichever the majority of players prefer) with the other being available separately or all have both (could force prices up and us out of the market?). Standardise!

I have ordered ‘The We Stand Alone’ expansion and if any of the X Maps included require joining to the other ‘X Maps’ listed in the requirements I’ll just scan the larger map and reduce it to match.

Rydo

Good points Rydo! Yes for me X Maps are a luxury car vs a regular car normal ‘size’ Maps.

I believe all games and modules should have either one map size (whichever the majority of players prefer) with the other being available separately or all have both (could force prices up and us out of the market?). Standardise!

I have ordered ‘The We Stand Alone’ expansion and if any of the X Maps included require joining to the other ‘X Maps’ listed in the requirements I’ll just scan the larger map and reduce it to match.
Agree on everything. You've got a really good idea about reduction of the map sizes. It would be interesting to see the results if you will do it for real.

Standardise!
+1 to that! :)

The Plodder

I agree with all the comments above, as X-maps are an addition then base game expansions should really cater for those players without them. If you can supply both sizes with an expansion that would be excellent but if it raises the expansion price too much then the default should be standard sizes with X-maps as an add-on.

David, a question--

Do you know how many of the scenarios will require use of the Heroes of the Falklands X-Maps? I didn't realize when I purchased We Stand Alone that the X-Maps were listed as a requirement (I own only the standard maps for Normandy), however if I remember correctly only one of the scenarios required an X-Map not included in the WSA pack and there was plenty of content using just the included maps. Is the breakdown for A Feat of Arms similar?

Also, on a lark- is there any movement on a Hue expansion for Nam as Ty (I presume jokingly) mentions above? I remember seeing that idea flogged around in a forum post awhile back and would be a day-one purchase for a large Mogadishu-style Hue map.

Thanks!

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
David, a question--

Do you know how many of the scenarios will require use of the Heroes of the Falklands X-Maps? I didn't realize when I purchased We Stand Alone that the X-Maps were listed as a requirement (I own only the standard maps for Normandy), however if I remember correctly only one of the scenarios required an X-Map not included in the WSA pack and there was plenty of content using just the included maps. Is the breakdown for A Feat of Arms similar?

Also, on a lark- is there any movement on a Hue expansion for Nam as Ty (I presume jokingly) mentions above? I remember seeing that idea flogged around in a forum post awhile back and would be a day-one purchase for a large Mogadishu-style Hue map.

Thanks![/QUOT]

I do not know at this time but very soon I will.

David