Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Unnamed leaders idea...?

Rydo

Hello Ln'l family, i'm back after a period of meditation and serious bad things happening. I understand beign unlucky, but there should be a limit to that.

I was reading some LOF magazines in the previous days and i got the ln'l itch ( if thats the word ) back.

I'm also back from some other tac games and i was thinking that an unnamed sheet of leaders, with maybe just the rank written or the face concealed ( elmet off, watching from behind, choose our pose ) and with a name could benefit the system in general for new scenario packs etc.

I know to most this will look worthless, but to me it could be a nice addiction.

All the leaders of one faction will have the same obscured face art, repeated among the different values they could have ( 6-0-6, 6-1-6, 6-2-6 and so on...).

That would be surely a thing only some vets of the system and some newbie would get.

What do you think? Will i ever receive an answer?

Out.

PS: my 400th message...is that a good or a bad thing?

Hey Rydo!

Congratulations on 400 posts!

Good to see you back, what other tactical games have you been playing recently?

Re; “What do you think? Will i ever receive an answer?” I hope so, I’m still waiting on replies re; LOS and Jerry FJ posts in the rules sections :).

I think generic leaders could be of value to those make their own scenarios (just use a full figure on the counter like Hero’s would be good) but what is the demand for that? I like my leaders named in the scenarios I get as it gives me someone to blame in the first person for any issues I have during the game ;).

Cheers!

Rydo

Hey Rydo!

Congratulations on 400 posts!

Good to see you back, what other tactical games have you been playing recently?

Re; “What do you think? Will i ever receive an answer?” I hope so, I’m still waiting on replies re; LOS and Jerry FJ posts in the rules sections :).

I think generic leaders could be of value to those make their own scenarios (just use a full figure on the counter like Hero’s would be good) but what is the demand for that? I like my leaders named in the scenarios I get as it gives me someone to blame in the first person for any issues I have during the game ;).

Cheers!
Greeting Captain!

To answer your last question first, i think the demand is very low if there is a demand :)

About what i've played, well, i'm a tactical guy, so only tactical games. In detail:

- The starter kit 1 of asl. I'm enjoying that, pretty robust design even if you can feel there is a old way of doing things there.

- En point toujours. This is a tac game ( squad level ) that covers various conflicts, i've tried normandy ( covers us, british, canadian involvment on dday and paras too ). Then eastern front and finally ( the system went to other areas like the pacific, but i don't have that number ) the african wars with french involvment, different regions of africa, and middle east.
Its interesting because you have command posts and there are vehicles and helicopters and infantry have rate of fire.

- Kontact Now Red Eclipse. The upcoming tac game pubblished by ln'l. I'm a playtester of it for one year now and played little more than a hundred scenarios. This system really caught me, the way it represent command and controll is unmatched by anyone.

And thats all i've done. I've also took a closer look at combat commander but i was not convinced at all.

What about your wargaming life?

Cheers to you!

Last edited:
I’ve been doing a lot of miniatures gaming over the last year but regarding boardgames have played several LnL games (North African and France 1040 scenarios) and The Great War mainly. Also played a solo card based game Airborne Commander a few times which is pretty interesting.

ASL played it, a friend has all the modules and also the rulebook (which would make an excellent anchor). Basic game plays okay but doesn’t flowas smoothly as LnL Tactical. Has the same issue as LnL Tactical though, no formation structure, we have leaders running all over the place and every squad co ordinates with every other one efficiently.

Kontact Now Red Eclipse well aren’t you lucky getting to play test a game. Features command control? Does it include unit structures as per the above comment?

En point toujours just looked up on Boardgamegeek as I have never heard of it, cool topic! Sounds interesting.

Combat Commander I know of it but have never played it.

I have a copies of Band of Brothers, Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer which were given to me (second hand) and I’ve read up on the rules and they look VERY interesting but I have not had time to play either yet. Have you considered them?

Cheers!

Rydo

I’ve been doing a lot of miniatures gaming over the last year but regarding boardgames have played several LnL games (North African and France 1040 scenarios) and The Great War mainly. Also played a solo card based game Airborne Commander a few times which is pretty interesting.
Good stuff. Miniatures gaming sounds cool but the only mini games played here are Bolt Action ( aka warhammer 40k in ww2 ) and Flames of War ( Never really caught me ). But miniatures immerge you in the scenario like no other game.

Kontact Now Red Eclipse well aren’t you lucky getting to play test a game. Features command control? Does it include unit structures as per the above comment?
I don't know if i was lucky, i just asked into the Red Eclipse forum if i could playtest and Steve allowed me to :)
In KN leaders are crucial as they are the ones that provides you Command Points used for everything in the game, after you lose them ( leaders ) your whole force will be slowed down and will lose cohesion and efficiency badly.
Leaders are free to move but since you can give orders and rally hexes under their range you never have circumnstances were a leader have to babysit the whole force running around. In my games i've never had that feeling or needing to do so.

I have a copies of Band of Brothers, Screaming Eagles and Ghost Panzer which were given to me (second hand) and I’ve read up on the rules and they look VERY interesting but I have not had time to play either yet. Have you considered them?
I have not only considered them but was on the verge of getting Screaming Eagles but then i stopped.
I've read the rules and the idea behind them seems strong and solid, even if beign "forced" to not beign able to do certain things i'm used to in years of ln'l was what stopped me from trying that. I was very noob at the time and my finances were limited so i opted to stay with ln'l.

I've a confession to make to you...i like stacks of counters...even if i payed the price of using them years ago ( i still remember that three squads + leaders killed in a single impulse...it still hurts...).

Cheers.

Rydo

It's not very difficult to create generic leaders using GIMP or a similar free program. Then print them on label paper with a color printer and spray over with a semi-gloss coat. Here's an example of some counters done in GIMP, and all one would have to do is remove the layers with the name and sub whatever values are desired https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/177728/file-create-labels-individual-easy-company-pieces
Hi, i know its not difficult, its only that not everyone have the time to do so.
For my ln'l counters i used photoshop but now with my license lost i'd have to try making those with kitra.
I've downloaded them and they looks good! I like them, thanks for pointing those out for me!

Tony Langston

Cheers!

Hi Captain,

I have all the BoB games as well and have played the first three scenarios via PBD (Play By Dropbox) and one game via VASSAL/Skype. It is definitely different than LNL but for such a small rules overhead, I think it plays very well and quick. It takes some getting used to but once down, activations move along rather well. It does offer reward for playing a tactically sound game. People either love or hate it so it depends on what your tastes are. I’d be interested in giving it a go again as I do really enjoy the system.