Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Character Name Request

Brad Smith

Hi guys,

I'm busy writing another book in the World at War '85 series right now (the book is called "Army of Two") and I need a name for a character who takes on a unique role during a short but critical scene. I thought it would be fun to ask if anyone wants their namesake to be immortalized as part of the World at War novel storyline. Your real name only, please - no Hugh Mungus or Al Coholic. Thanks. :)

Next Monday, I'll pick one name at random from whomever responds to this post. Don't worry if you don't get picked - I'll definitely need more names later on down the line. Please be aware that your character may meet an untimely demise in service to the plot.

Thanks,

Brad

MkV

I’ll be your huckleberry! My name is Mark Faircloth. Please dont let me be lame, its the only one I’ve got.

“Every one dies, the goal is to die well”

Gorby

Alan Tormey. Or, Alan S. Tormey, if you prefer. What an exciting opportunity! I must confess that I'm really looking forward to the books.

Brad Smith

Thanks guys! In true gamer style, I have rolled randomly for the character name:
1. Mark Faircloth
2. Alan Tormey
3. Chito Bantug
4. Richard (or Rich) Lloyd
5. Ian Poldark
6. Bobby Myers

The result is a 4. Congratulations Rich Lloyd! You have earned a place in the World at War pantheon as a crazy Kiowa pilot who takes part in a POW rescue.

The rest of you guys have been great and I haven't forgotten you. I will try my best to write you into one of the follow-up books. Here's a rough excerpt from my current draft of "Army of Two":

Mackinsky radioed for Cobras, but was met instead by the incoming approach of a light helicopter that resembled a scout. As it flew toward the field, it was clear that this was no gunship – it was a Kiowa.

He sighed as he recognized the stylized paint job – white stripes laid over a dull green. On the bottom of the craft was a round yellow smiley face that grinned stupidly at everyone on the ground as it shot by. It was Captain Richard Lloyd. Again.

Everyone knew the guy was nuts but no one had the guts to tell him to his face that he wasn’t a Cobra pilot. So like all his crazy Kiowa brethren, the man charged like a maniac into every battle without thinking twice.

What was that thing going to do? Although small and agile, the machine was totally unarmed. Mackinsky was about to radio Lloyd to wave him off when the helicopter flew a tight circle around the prison camp then flared into a hover. No more than fifty feet away from the gunner perched inside, Lloyd pivoted the Kiowa and swung it around the top of the guard tower in a slow arc. Mackinsky put his hands on his head as he realized what was happening. Lloyd was using his helicopter as a shield between the prisoners and the enemy machine gunner.

Over the radio, the Ranger captain screamed – “Are you out of your mind?! Get out of there!”

Sparks danced off the frame and rotor as Lloyd leaned out with an assault rifle and let a burst of fire loose at the Russian guard. The knockknockknock of the PK halted momentarily. Mackinsky watched through the green haze of the night vision goggles as Lloyd fired another burst.

Stefano G.

Hallo Brad,
should you ever write a book with an italian Air Force Pilot one day, i would like to give you my name: Stefano Spano :):rolleyes:

Stu Gibson

Hi Brad,

I'm game for whatever you have in store. I do have my own back story. I am a retired cold warrior, Canadian Military Engineer: Topographic Surveyor Sergeant with 20 years service: 1976-1996. I could have found myself in Norway as a member of ACE Mobile Force had deterrence gone terribly wrong.

Stewart (Stu) Gibson