Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Older Tanks HE

MkV

Clearly some of the older tanks/atgs will struggle versus the modern heavy armor depicted in the game. Having them hit on 6 makes perfect sense. What seems a bit off is their factors vs Light Armor and Soft Targets. They would NOT struggle to kill the light stuff. While an M-1 might scoff at being shot at by a T-55, an M-113 or a Bradley would and should be terrified. Unfortunately, the current factors do not reflect that.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Ah, with all due respect, but they do reflect that. If you will allow me to fill out your example? :) First off, and from a design perspective, there is a big difference here between the Light armor and Soft Targets when a T55 fires. In these cases the AP value can be used versus the Light armor (the M-113 and the Bradley you mention, for those who might not realize, are of this target class). That means 3 AP dice may be used to fire from the T55 instead of its 2 HE dice (why would I use 2 when I can use 3, would be my question to myself). And if the range is 5 or less, that is 3 dice to make 5 or higher for a hit (accounting for the Point Blank Range modifier), rather than 6. Thats decent firepower for this task: three dice coming from ANYONE is scary.

Second: What makes it work in this situation - to my mind, and the choice I made - is the defensive side of things. Its not so much that the T55 lacks firepower, so much as the M-113 and Bradley lack armor,. THATS what should make them terrified (or at least cautious). Light armor are just that, Light, they only ever get one die in defense (barring terrain, concealment etc). But on average, and in the open, they should in fact be terrified. Three dice coming at them can probably make one hit (I err on the side of caution, but we both know how that goes) and their response will likely be nil in terms of armor defense, so yes they will be hit.

Third: we get to see how different weapon platoons are characterized: the M-113 has no capability to respond to a T55 (not even assault: it has no AP weapons and so is disqualified from assaulting the T55s). So again, on its own, it should be terrified. :) The Bradley however has anti-tank capability, and might consider engaging the T55 for a short time before withdrawing (if it can). Well I would... ;-)

MkV

Ah, with all due respect, but they do reflect that. If you will allow me to fill out your example? :) First off, and from a design perspective, there is a big difference here between the Light armor and Soft Targets when a T55 fires. In these cases the AP value can be used versus the Light armor (the M-113 and the Bradley you mention, for those who might not realize, are of this target class). That means 3 AP dice may be used to fire from the T55 instead of its 2 HE dice (why would I use 2 when I can use 3, would be my question to myself). And if the range is 5 or less, that is 3 dice to make 5 or higher for a hit (accounting for the Point Blank Range modifier), rather than 6. Thats decent firepower for this task: three dice coming from ANYONE is scary.

Second: What makes it work in this situation - to my mind, and the choice I made - is the defensive side of things. Its not so much that the T55 lacks firepower, so much as the M-113 and Bradley lack armor,. THATS what should make them terrified (or at least cautious). Light armor are just that, Light, they only ever get one die in defense (barring terrain, concealment etc). But on average, and in the open, they should in fact be terrified. Three dice coming at them can probably make one hit (I err on the side of caution, but we both know how that goes) and their response will likely be nil in terms of armor defense, so yes they will be hit.

Third: we get to see how different weapon platoons are characterized: the M-113 has no capability to respond to a T55 (not even assault: it has no AP weapons and so is disqualified from assaulting the T55s). So again, on its own, it should be terrified. :) The Bradley however has anti-tank capability, and might consider engaging the T55 for a short time before withdrawing (if it can). Well I would... ;-)

We have been using Heavy armor dice vs only Heavy Armor and HE vs Light Armor and Soft. That makes a big difference there. Let's try again playing the rules correctly and see how that goes :)