Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Artillery

Mark Rutledge

I like using OOBs and depicting real units. Artillery is abstracted in the Nations at War series. I don't know what an Artillery Fire Mission actually represents. I am wondering if anyone has ideas about how to interpret the Fire Mission in terms of real batteries. So for instance, say I design a scenario with an American Combat Command consisting of an Infantry Regiment plus supporting elements including the Regiment's battery of 105 howitzers. How do I translate the 105s into NaW fire missions? What if the scenario had an extra battery of 155s lent from divisional reserve? Thanks for any help!

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hello
There is a DYO piece for artillery. It should contain different points for additional Fire Power.
Thank you
Sean

Mark Rutledge

Hi Sean. Thanks for the reply. I saw the table for Artillery. Any suggestions about how to translate this table to actual artillery batteries?

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hello
The factors are sort of abstract. The more you spend on points the better or more plentiful the artillery. It factors in both number of batteries and quality or technology or caliber of the artillery.
Let me know if this helps.
Thank you
Sean Druelinger

Mark Rutledge

Yes, I have picked up the fact that the factors are abstract. The points system is also very useful. It is one the reasons I have moved to this game. So pick up games I have no problems with using the points. But if I want to play a historical matchup how do I interpret the artillery factors so as the get the right level of artillery fire. If a 105 battery fires for one turn what is the factor I should use in game terms? As an aside, I am actually converting NaWS to miniatures (10mm on 2" hexes) and playing the game as is.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hi Mark

Cool idea with the minis. I’d love to see some pics.

When artillery was determined for the DYO rules, it was based on quantity and not specific gun calibers. So by spending more points you are receiving more artillery to concentrate in a specific hex.

Thank you
Sean

Mark Rutledge

Let me ask it this way, when designing the scenarios how did you determine the number of artillery fire points?

I will definitely post pictures when I get the project fully running. Right now I am waiting on my hex mat and am designing terrain and building extra units. But I am really excited about the project. I think NaW will translate well to the table top. I originally was going to use Panzer Leader but in looking around I found this game. There is much to like. As I said, it is the artillery that is the tricky part because it is abstracted. I think the approach is a good one but I am attempting to work at the issue starting from the other side (starting with the artillery and then attempting to translate the effect into NaW terms.)

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
I will first start off by saying there are no guidebooks out there for scenario designers. Everyone who has contributed has their own sources and own reasons for their OOB. The ones I design are based on actual events and interpreted by me. So if I read about how plentiful artillery was for the engagement I will add more fire missions or one powerful one. Much of it centers around balance and gameplay. Artillery is not the focal point of the game so more emphasis is centered on infantry and armor. When designing the DYO, my partner and I determined a scale of availability based on the number of points spent. more you spend the more arty you receive. Arty in this game is far from the action happening on the mapboard and thus is not accurately modeled. I apologize that I do not have the details to provide but this is something I can consider for future modules. I listen to the gamers out there and your responses are important. If it makes the game better than it is worth looking into.

Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing

Mark Rutledge

Hi Sean

I appreciate you taking some time with me on this. I hope you appreciate that it is the highest form of compliment to take another's work seriously and want to understand it.

I can see that you are not going to be able to answer my question directly because that is not how NaW is designed. Fair enough. I can work around that and figure something out for myself.

When I have something to report on my game I will up post pictures.

MkV

Let me ask it this way, when designing the scenarios how did you determine the number of artillery fire points?

I will definitely post pictures when I get the project fully running. Right now I am waiting on my hex mat and am designing terrain and building extra units. But I am really excited about the project. I think NaW will translate well to the table top. I originally was going to use Panzer Leader but in looking around I found this game. There is much to like. As I said, it is the artillery that is the tricky part because it is abstracted. I think the approach is a good one but I am attempting to work at the issue starting from the other side (starting with the artillery and then attempting to translate the effect into NaW terms.)
This game absolutely converts to miniatures very well. I did the same thing for WaW85. I will be converting NaW as well.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hi Sean

I appreciate you taking some time with me on this. I hope you appreciate that it is the highest form of compliment to take another's work seriously and want to understand it.

I can see that you are not going to be able to answer my question directly because that is not how NaW is designed. Fair enough. I can work around that and figure something out for myself.

When I have something to report on my game I will up post pictures.
Thank you for the compliment. I see what you are going for. The game is intentionally keeping it simple with things like artillery and AirPower. There are always house rules and perhaps a future compendium.
Thank you
Sean