Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Bunkers & Melee Attacks

tasmanuk

Hello. Playing Heroes in Defiance and there are a lot of bunkers to attack in scenario 1. I understand that a bunker is a hex within a hex but does that mean that you need 2 turns to conduct a melee on a bunker ie 1 to move onto the hex the bunker is on and then another one to enter the bunker to conduct the melee?

Rydo

Hello. Playing Heroes in Defiance and there are a lot of bunkers to attack in scenario 1. I understand that a bunker is a hex within a hex but does that mean that you need 2 turns to conduct a melee on a bunker ie 1 to move onto the hex the bunker is on and then another one to enter the bunker to conduct the melee?

It depends on how much movement points the unit wanting to melee have.

If you have enought points you can enter the hex and move again into melee in one turn, but remember the units into the bunker can Opportunity Fire on the moving units and get the adjacency bonus too, for a total of +3, so very dangerous.

Example: A US squad moves into a bunker hex occupied by a german squad and an mg. The germans op fire on the americans with:
- 1 for the squad
- 2 for the mg
- 1 for firing on moving target
- 2 for firing at an adjacent target
- die roll
6 + die roll.

The americans get a die roll and add the terrain modifier the bunker is in.

Did i helped clear your mind? :)

tasmanuk

Very helpful thank you. It means I have been playing it wrong as my opponent in the bunker didn't op fire on me from the bunker as I was stood on top of it. Normally there is no op fire as you enter melee but I guess this is different as you are not entering the bunker hex on the first move. Is that correct?

How about if I use Stealth Move to enter the forest hex (which I can with my units in this situation) and then enter melee. No op fire will happen then will it so I should be safe to enter the bunker.

If I can't use stealth move and given how dangerous it is to melee a bunker, what is the best way of clearing them out?

Rydo

Very helpful thank you. It means I have been playing it wrong as my opponent in the bunker didn't op fire on me from the bunker as I was stood on top of it. Normally there is no op fire as you enter melee but I guess this is different as you are not entering the bunker hex on the first move. Is that correct?

Correct, first you enter the terrain the bunker is in and then you will enter the bunker.

How about if I use Stealth Move to enter the forest hex (which I can with my units in this situation) and then enter melee. No op fire will happen then will it so I should be safe to enter the bunker.

Yes, you can do this if you want.

If I can't use stealth move and given how dangerous it is to melee a bunker, what is the best way of clearing them out?

It depends at what tools you have at your disposal. In some scenarios you are given tanks and those are good for bunker busting.
In some other cases you'll have rocket launchers or demo charges, that can help too clear a bunker easily.

In case you only have foot soldiers then you can use the big disadvantage of most bunkers, they can fire only within a certain angle.
Than means that as long as you keep your guys outside the bunker LOS you are free to approach from behind, or the best thing you can do is to drag fire from the bunker with a decoy unit ( or sacrifice unit ) and if they fall into your trap then you can assault in close combat OR stay in the same hex as the bunker is in and fire at it with the +2 adjacency and if lucky you can shake the occupants and get them all in melee.

A good training in bunker assaulting is the scenario from Heroes of Defiance "Phoney War" where the french have to assault a bunker complex occupied by the germans.

What do you think?

Bah

I'll hijack this thread if you don't mind, because there is one thing that's not crystal clear for me regarding opportunity fire. Does it happen in the terrain you'll arrive after the move or in the terrain you occupy at the start of the movement ? Because if it's the first one (as I thought it is), let's say the unit is right next to the bunker, it then enters the bunker hex but doesn't chose to go on top of it (or is there a need to go on top of it to enter it ?), there shouldn't be any opportunity fire, should it ?

Rydo

I'll hijack this thread if you don't mind, because there is one thing that's not crystal clear for me regarding opportunity fire. Does it happen in the terrain you'll arrive after the move or in the terrain you occupy at the start of the movement ? Because if it's the first one (as I thought it is), let's say the unit is right next to the bunker, it then enters the bunker hex but doesn't chose to go on top of it (or is there a need to go on top of it to enter it ?), there shouldn't be any opportunity fire, should it ?
Opportunity fire take into account the terrain the unit is in after it moved, so the newly occupied hex.

There is opportunity fire in your example because the bunker hex is considered a hex within a hex, so its like they are adjacents and can be subjects to opportunity fire.

To clarify: a bunker marker creates a new hex into the hex it occupy.
If you put a bunker in a wood hex, now that wood hex became also a bunker hex, but in order to get into the bunker hex you need to move into the wood hex first.
But you're still visible, considered adjacent and in LOS of the bunker occupants.

Bah

Oh ! I just reread the rule and understood where my confusion came from. It's written that units can be in a bunker or on top of/around the bunker and I thought that when on the same hex a unit could be either on top of the bunker OR around the bunker, I did not understand that it was the same (and I thought that in the case where the unit was not on top, nobody could fire at anybody).

Thanks for your explanation !