Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Eliminating nearly destroyed units

SamuraiN

Sometimes a unit annihilated to the last few men hold out a long time before elimination, either surrender or destroyed, which bogs down entire assaulting forces. Any reason for this?

Sometimes a unit annihilated to the last few men hold out a long time before elimination, either surrender or destroyed, which bogs down entire assaulting forces. Any reason for this?
They're still capable of fighting?

If you're talking about enemy units, you also have to keep in mind that the intel on an enemy unit is limited by friendly unit(s) capability to gather it -- fog of war. The intel provided to the human commander may not reflect the reality of the situation for the enemy unit under observation depending on the distance the enemy unit is observed at and visibility which is impacted by time of day, weather, and the quality and number of soldiers providing the observations.

Last edited:

SamuraiN

Are they fixed units? They can't run, so sometimes hold out too long.
What does 'fixed' mean, like surrounded units in fortification? In my experience, this typically happens to single units with numerous personnel, like base or high level HQ. Reducing them to half strength can take, say, 30 min, but eliminating the last few men can take 1 hour or so. I fear this may have to do with probability calculation and rounding.

john connor

Fixed means 'fixed' in the estab - ie they can't move. Usually garrison units. I ask only because the finishing off remnants problem has been the subject of a patch in the deep past, iirc, which certainly improved things. But not for fixed units, perhaps, which have nowhere to run to.

SamuraiN

No, not static units. After some more experiments, I believe the extraordinary delay in final elimination only happens in the case of surrender of enemy units on the defence, irrespective of enemy (original) unit size. For weak assaulting enemy units, when they surrender defenders they do it quickly.

Once, a completely surrounded Infantry company reduced to 1 man held up a couple hours before finally surrendering. It appears that enemy units 'negotiate' surrenders: my unit icons have the blue fire indicator on, but no firing based on the sound effect, and they stall there, until the enemy finally gives up.

Nonetheless, it does appear to me that the reduction of units follow a kind of convex curve instead of linear: the smaller force becomes, the fewer casualties it takes under the same fire power and time. This might be realistic, though it is a bit troublesome that the few supposedly dispirited soldiers left often go on guerilla warfare after they flee.

No, not static units. After some more experiments, I believe the extraordinary delay in final elimination only happens in the case of surrender of enemy units on the defence, irrespective of enemy (original) unit size. For weak assaulting enemy units, when they surrender defenders they do it quickly.

Once, a completely surrounded Infantry company reduced to 1 man held up a couple hours before finally surrendering. It appears that enemy units 'negotiate' surrenders: my unit icons have the blue fire indicator on, but no firing based on the sound effect, and they stall there, until the enemy finally gives up.

Nonetheless, it does appear to me that the reduction of units follow a kind of convex curve instead of linear: the smaller force becomes, the fewer casualties it takes under the same fire power and time. This might be realistic, though it is a bit troublesome that the few supposedly dispirited soldiers left often go on guerilla warfare after they flee.
When the number of targets decreases with the same rate of fire power, it stands to reason there will be fewer hits on targets over time.