Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Game won't run

HansBolter

I finally managed to get the game engine downloaded after L&L informed me that I needed an account to be able to buy anything.

I pointed out that there is nothing on their site that explains that to a newbie. The site allows you to shop, put things in a cart and proceed to checkout only to have checkout claim there is nothing in the cart. Don't have much confidence in their IT people at this point.

However, I am having the very same issues with CO2 that I had with CO when trying to run it in Win10.
The game starts and allows me to proceed to the scenario selection screen where everything falls to pieces.
Clicking on the buttons to adjust scenario variables causes the text on the buttons to disappear, with nothing else happening. Clicking on text in the scenario interfaces also causes that text to disappear. At this point the page becomes unresponsive forcing me to use Task Manager to shut the program down. (screen shot attached).CO2 Start.jpg

I had presumed that CO2 would have fixed these issues.

What do I need to do to get this program to run correctly on a 64 bit Win10 system?

Keydet

I'm not the correct person to fix the problem, but thought I would chime in. I too have a 64 bit Win10 system. I have not had this problem or one close to it. So hold on someone will get to the bottom of your problem.

john connor

Runs fine on all 3 of my win 10 machines, so it's something specific to your set-up, I would think. I fear it may be a while before you get a response though, the holiday season being upon us....

HansBolter

This same problem occurred with CO1 on two different machines running Win10.
As stated previously, this problem is what I expected CO2 to have fixed.
Very disappointed.

Going back to the game I have been hooked on for the past 10 years...War in the Pacific Admirals Edition. Have always preferred grand strategic games. CO was the first tactical game engine that was able to hold my attention.

ultradave

Not that this is any help to you, but I've never seen it do that. And I have kind of a weird setup, playing on my MacBook Pro, using Parallels Desktop with W10. Never had that problem with CO1 either, with the same setup and earlier version of Windows.

Just guessing but have you tried it at differing screen resolutions to see if there is any difference?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hey Hans, sorry I didn't see this earlier. It does look weird. I've checked out your DxDiag report. It all looks fine. But the screen shot you supplied makes it obvious it's failed to load the GUI graphics. These should be embedded in PGUI.dll file. Can you please check that you have this in your Cmd Ops 2 game directory?

Do you have any legacy Cmd Ops installs on your machine?

Have you tried temporarily disabling your graphics card and running the game on the default graphics chip on your motherboard? If this works, then it may be an issue with how the game interacts with your graphics card.

What screen resolution are you running?

HansBolter

Thanks for the response Dave.

I originally encountered this problem with CO1 on my other machine.
It's a back-up machine that is an off the shelf Asus build using on board graphics.
The machine I am using currently is a pretty high end home Asus build. This is the one I sent the DxDiag on.
The back-up machine only had CO1 on it.
I encountered this same problem with CO1 on this machine and that's when I went looking for where you were after cutting ties with Matrix and discovered you had released CO2. I downloaded CO2 hoping it would fix this pervasive problem I have had on two machines now.

Both CO1 and CO2 are installed on this machine. The PGUI.dll file is present. The MB is an Asus Republic of Gamers Crosshair V Formula Z with an AMD FX9590 8 core 4.7ghz CPU and 32gbs of DDR3. The Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6mb of DDR5. The MB does not have any on board graphics.

HansBolter

Oh, the high end machine is running a brand new 32" 4K monitor with 3840x2160 resolution.
The lesser machine is running a 27" monitor with whatever the native resolution is for a 27" 2k resolution monitor.
Had the same smaller 27" 2k monitor on this high end machine before upgrading the monitor at Christmas.
Have tried various different resolution settings from the choices offered at game start with the same results for all.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I don't have a 4K monitor here to test. But you said you had this issue on your old 2K monitor, so that's probably not the issue either. Perhaps the first port of call is to uninstall all versions of Cmd Ops; clear the registries and reinstall CO2 only. I should have a batch file that will clear your registries of CMd Ops stuff. But I need to find it. I'll be back.

HansBolter

Have I got this right: your new machine has no on-board graphics on its motherboard?"
That's correct. The back-up machine is an off the shelf purchase with on-board Intel graphics and no separate graphics card.
The high end machine is a home build using a high end gamers MB. Most of those types of MBs don't have on board graphics.
Both machines have the same issues with the game. Both are ASUS based. Could that be where the problem lies?

HansBolter

I don't have a 4K monitor here to test. But you said you had this issue on your old 2K monitor, so that's probably not the issue either. Perhaps the first port of call is to uninstall all versions of Cmd Ops; clear the registries and reinstall CO2 only. I should have a batch file that will clear your registries of CMd Ops stuff. But I need to find it. I'll be back.

Thanks. As CO2 was a digital download will reinstalling require another download? I'll go ahead with uninstalling both games and wait for your registry clearing program. Appreciate the help Dave.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Hans,

I can't find that registry batch file I was looking for. But here are some instructions to do it manually. It's not difficult.

1. Uninstall all your Command Ops games.
  2. Open Registry Editor. To find this app, just select the search icon on your windows menu bar and type "reg". Select Registry Editor App from the list it proffers. It opens to this view:Registry Editor App.jpg
  3. Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
  4. Select SoftwareRegistry Editor App #2.jpg
  5. Select Panther Games, right click to bring up the context menu and then select Delete.Registry Editor App #3.jpg
  6. Just in case you have some really old stuff hanging around, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Select SOFTWARE and see if there is a folder in there called Panther Games. If so, delete it too.
  7. Close Registry Editor app.
  8. Install the latest version of Command Ops 2.
  9. Run the game and see if that helps.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Yes you will need to do another download to reinstall. But that should be fine. It won't cost you anything to re-download your existing modules. Just for now do the free Core engine. Once we sort that you can reinstall the other modules you own.