Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Tutorial realizations and a few questions

vManstein

Hello there,
After years of boardgaming and the constant frustrating search for opponents (which in the end rewarded me with some very good friends all over the world) I stumbled upon CO2 and I am quite amazed by this game.
I am sure no one is interested in yet another AAR about the tutorial but I would like to ask a few Things and Maybe share a few other Things that I hope I´ve understood.

(please excuse my spelling, there is some crazy autocorrect going on)

First my impressions:

- Detail of the game: I have never encountered a such detailed game. There is so much Information that goes far beyond than what is necessary to Play this game and this is awesome. I learned quite a few Things About Units and weapons just by clicking on the Units. Actually it has been more than just flavor text, it seems to be esential Information to really use the Units to their best potential. Often I find myself reading for half an hour Prior to planning the orders

- real time adds so much to the experience. As I have played the game various times I realized how much time affects the Outcome of the game. Not only are there time dependent factors, such as Fatigue or the night and day schedule but the entire progess of attacking and defending in "real time" opens up so many more possibilities and really adds an entire additional Level to the game. As I am not so eloquent in english, I´ll try to give examples.
I have played just the first part of the tutorial many times, and I Always proceeded "board game like". Attack the Bridge, reorganize, plan attack on Lommersweiler, execute second attack and so on. It was Always Little efficient and led to a lot of Frustration and loss of men until finally I developed an attack plan, that took into consideration the chaos of the retreat and with an second, well rested wave of atttackers, a few Inf Companies that used the time during the attack on the Bridge to walk around Lommersweiler, the attack crushed the defenses that previously Always used the given time to reorganize and to put up a good defense. And don´t even get me startet on the changing weather...

Well so much for praising the game. There are a few Questions on how to handle certain Standard situations in a battle.

Recon: I have understood the value of recon and I think the "fog of war" works perfectly. What I am a Little unhappy About is, that the smallest scale is a Company to do recon. Is there any way, for example for a INF REG to do Scouting without having to move the entire Company? Also, as each order has to be given individually, it is very costly to send the Units one by one over the map. Am I missing something here on how to best Gather Information?

Defense of Long supply lines: Especially during the night I am having a lot of Troubles protecting my supply lines. The only solution I found was to spread out more than 4-5 Btn along the supply line between St. Vinth and the entrance Point, but still some sneaky unit managed to slip through and was annoying me. Not only was it destroying my supply trucks but also it cost a lot of Attention and orders to find and eliminate it.
I imagine that it would not be a Problem to strech out a Company much more so that it would at least notify an enemy unit. If the Goal is not to defend but to merely detect an enemy unit a INF Btn with 3-4 platoons could be streched out 1km easily.

Well in the end both my Questions are very similar. How to get more Information with less troops.

Thank you for any answers, I am Looking Forward to new experiences and more Scenarios.

Hello there,
After years of boardgaming and the constant frustrating search for opponents (which in the end rewarded me with some very good friends all over the world) I stumbled upon CO2 and I am quite amazed by this game.
I am sure no one is interested in yet another AAR about the tutorial but I would like to ask a few Things and Maybe share a few other Things that I hope I´ve understood.

(please excuse my spelling, there is some crazy autocorrect going on)

. . .

Well so much for praising the game. There are a few Questions on how to handle certain Standard situations in a battle.

Recon: I have understood the value of recon and I think the "fog of war" works perfectly. What I am a Little unhappy About is, that the smallest scale is a Company to do recon. Is there any way, for example for a INF REG to do Scouting without having to move the entire Company? Also, as each order has to be given individually, it is very costly to send the Units one by one over the map. Am I missing something here on how to best Gather Information?

When I want to fix enemy positions for planning, I use a combination of dedicated recon units (usually assigned at the regiment and above echelons) and "probe" orders for line units to close in on enemy unit locations.

Recon units are generally platoon sized highly mobile units capable of making contact but averse to conducting heavy fighting. Assigned a "probe" order, the unit moves almost at road march speed while organized for any contact. It is less vulnerable than a "march" order but not as aggressive as when issued an "attack" order.

As far as recon with an entire regiment, a "probe" on a wide front would result in more information for the unit commander, but would not be overly aggressive at contact.

Defense of Long supply lines: Especially during the night I am having a lot of Troubles protecting my supply lines. The only solution I found was to spread out more than 4-5 Btn along the supply line between St. Vinth and the entrance Point, but still some sneaky unit managed to slip through and was annoying me. Not only was it destroying my supply trucks but also it cost a lot of Attention and orders to find and eliminate it.
I imagine that it would not be a Problem to strech out a Company much more so that it would at least notify an enemy unit. If the Goal is not to defend but to merely detect an enemy unit a INF Btn with 3-4 platoons could be streched out 1km easily.

Well in the end both my Questions are very similar. How to get more Information with less troops.

Thank you for any answers, I am Looking Forward to new experiences and more Scenarios.
Defense of supply lines has always been a problem -- in real war and in this game.

One tactic to protect lines would be to assign rear units to communications pinch points in the rear. Artillery used for bombardment doesn't have to be on the front with combat troops. Assigning the unit to a location near a crossroads, river crossing, or a town helps establish rear security. Other units which could be used for the task include bases ordered to defend at an important junction. The regimental support units don't necessarily have to be engaged in a fight, and can be tasked with protecting junctions along the supply route.

Keep in mind, you don't have to secure the entire route, but you should make choke points along the routes more secure to avoid having a small unit cut off all supply at the front.

vManstein

Thank you for your answers.
Trying "Greyhound dash" right now and I will integrate the suggestions.

SamuraiN

Suggestions

Jim's points are very good. And I am trying to add a few things.

1. Occupy junctions, usually towns, sometimes hills, which has good sighting range or have some other importance (e.g. gate to an open area or road connection point) . So during daytime units in these junctions can provide sighting over roads and other areas. In game, enemy units do not employ partisan tactics, but they usually move to (re)capture some junctures. And you shall estimate which ones are likely vulnerable to enemy actions.

2. Set a move order with multiple move points to get your foot infantry to screen areas. Given current game setting, these infantry can be quite useful.

3. To reduce supply disruption to your vanguard forces, you can move subordinate supply base units forward at suitable times. Though you must be careful when total supply is scarce, as the convoy from the main base to subordinate base units may get destroyed and make them short on supply.

83Reforger

Excellent discussion. My first St. Vith tutorial was cut short (I was the German side) but managed to fight off American armor long enough to feather my cap... that is until the wife put dinner on the table.

I’ll pick it up tomorrow and hope I can halt the advance.

SamuraiN

Excellent discussion. My first St. Vith tutorial was cut short (I was the German side) but managed to fight off American armor long enough to feather my cap... that is until the wife put dinner on the table.

I’ll pick it up tomorrow and hope I can halt the advance.
In my experience on the German side, I could destroy almost all of CCA's tanks and about half of its infantry while holding Lommersweile, till CCB comes. Watch out for night infiltration, and I suggest concentrating units together and reposition them again before dawn. I sent a company to cut off American supply line as well.

I think a decisive victory is fairly feasible with Favour Axis reinforcement schedule. I am doubtful about winning with a normal one.