Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Opportunity Fire and Assault

I was watching a playthrough and it came up where a unit was performing and assault action into a hex with a unit the is NOT ops complete. He was told you can't op fire from that assaulting hex. I was looking for it in the rules as I am preparing to play but could not find it. New to the game and I am just learning the rules. Could someone point to the rule to clarify my confusion?

Thanks

Starman

"Opportunity Fire may be triggered during an enemy Movement, Move & Fire, or Assault Action."
Cannot Op fire if the hex is adjacent to the assault hex, unless unloading from a transport into the assault hex.
They would be subject to opportunity fire if they moved into the hex they are assaulting from.
Declaring an assault move does not make those units immune from opportunity fire.
Units opportunity firing can still counterattack if they have an assault value.

"Opportunity Fire may be triggered during an enemy Movement, Move & Fire, or Assault Action."
Cannot Op fire if the hex is adjacent to the assault hex, unless unloading from a transport into the assault hex.
They would be subject to opportunity fire if they moved into the hex they are assaulting from.
Declaring an assault move does not make those units immune from opportunity fire.
Units opportunity firing can still counterattack if they have an assault value.

Thanks
I just can't find it in the rules about the adjacent hex. Or is it on one of the player aids? Or does the Assault action get called from the beginning activating that unit. so the movement from one hex to another while getting to the assault hex. Just needs to be clearer because it is not listed.

Last edited:

Starman

Look at 8.0 it's one of the the actions a formations units take.
8.0 Actions
8.1 Movement Action & Movement See 9.0
8.2 Direct Fire Action See 10.0
8.3 Move & Direct Fire Action See 9.0, 10.0 and 11.0
8.4 Assault Action See 13.0
8.5 Indirect Fire Action See 14.0

It's normal movement until you are adjacent to the hex you are about to assault , which you must have sufficient movement points to enter.

The rules do not state you announce what action each unit takes.
I have always played you play until you have commited , as you could declare 8.3-8.4 but change before executing the Fire/Assault part of it due to being disrupted etc.

It really makes no different and would IMO be too limiting e.g. because you declare assault meaning you can't stop and fire or conversely because you change your mind your opponent would complain he didn't op fire as he thought you would do x.

In combat you don't inform the enemy what you will do 15 minutes before you execute.

Look at 8.0 it's one of the the actions a formations units take.
8.0 Actions
8.1 Movement Action & Movement See 9.0
8.2 Direct Fire Action See 10.0
8.3 Move & Direct Fire Action See 9.0, 10.0 and 11.0
8.4 Assault Action See 13.0
8.5 Indirect Fire Action See 14.0

It's normal movement until you are adjacent to the hex you are about to assault , which you must have sufficient movement points to enter.

The rules do not state you announce what action each unit takes.
I have always played you play until you have commited , as you could declare 8.3-8.4 but change before executing the Fire/Assault part of it due to being disrupted etc.

It really makes no different and would IMO be too limiting e.g. because you declare assault meaning you can't stop and fire or conversely because you change your mind your opponent would complain he didn't op fire as he thought you would do x.

In combat you don't inform the enemy what you will do 15 minutes before you execute.

Thanks, makes sense. Can't wait to play it.

Jeff Schulte

Star man has it correct. The defender can op fire into any hex the attacker moves into. However, if the attacker starts adjacent to the defender and moves directly into an assault hex, there is no op fire available.