Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

LnL Tactical - Vsaaal PBEM games

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Most people will post here or on the Facebook page to find opponents. I'll play you PBEM if you want, any module any scenario :)

Andrew Keith

Most people will post here or on the Facebook page to find opponents. I'll play you PBEM if you want, any module any scenario :)
I have only purchased Starter Kit so far (and the Solo kit) and are still learning. - the Starter Kit scenarios might be too pedestrian for you? I am happy to play one of them against you (Modern or WWII), or you could initiate another scenario and email me andrewckeithATgmailDOTcom - you would have to send me the Scenario Briefing notes though.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Nothing too pedestrian for me, even more so when one is learning! Are you familiar with VASSAL? If so, then learning through PBEM, especially with the starter kit, is quite feasible. In other situations (not familiar with VASSAL, complete newbie to LNLT or complex scenario), it is often better to play at least once in real time (still over VASSAL but using Skype or Discord) before plunging into PBEM.

I suggest we start with A Friend in Need, if only because I already have a setup file. Will email you and we can discussed side, frequency of impulse, tide diffenretial between our two locations and so on.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Can you tell me more about VASSAL please ?

Have a look here: http://www.vassalengine.org/

VASSAL is a game engine that allow you to play published boardgames in a virtual environnement. You can play solo against yourself, you can play by email (PBEM) or you can play in real time via the internet (with a chatting or Voici interface). There is no artificial intelligence, no rules, no scenario details, notattack/terrain tables (most of the time) or anything like this. one of the player will have to provide that, just like if you were playing face to face. VASSAL is basically only the physical components (maps, coutners) of the games, with a dice-rolling app and a log recorder build into it.

You first download and install the core VASSAL engine, then you download the modules that contains the game you are interested to play and open it from Vassal starting screen. once you,re down, you can setup nit, roll them, enter reinforcements and so on.

Essentialy, you are getting a virtual copy of the games without the critical rules/scenarios details component, ensuring that at least one of the player has bought a physical copy of the game

Last edited: