Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

House Rules

CRFout

What are your favorite house rules for WaW85?

Here are my current favorites:
  • Stacking limit is two vehicles, two troops, and one helicopter per flight mode. Landed helicopters are vehicles.
  • Regular AA fire may only be conducted by blue AP firepower values. Other units may use black or orange HE effective range with a single firepower die (except units with the 'high rate of fire' ability, which roll two dice if the target is within point blank range), with a to-hit of 6 (no point blank bonus, no long range fire). Up to two additional eligible units may add one die each. Mortars and artillery units may not conduct AA fire.
  • Hill edge line hexes are level 2 terrain. Every hex inside the line of hill edge hexes is level 3 terrain. (This reduces the 'wedding cake' effect.)
  • Heavy mortars (100mm and above) create two hexes of smoke.
  • Opportunity fire at passengers unloading from a transport has a -1 to hit bonus.
  • When defending against HE indirect fire, heavy armored units use a save value of 4, troops and light armored units use a save value of 5, and soft vehicles use a save value of 6. Armored units use one armor die, soft units have no armor dice. Vehicles are restricted to two bonus terrain dice, while troops are not limited in the number of bonus armor dice for terrain. Concealment does not grant a bonus defense die to vehicles, but does for troops. Exceptions: DPICM strikes increase the heavy armor save to 5. Light mortar (under 100mm) strikes allow heavy armor units to use their full number of armor dice, while heavy mortar strikes reduce their number of armor dice to two.
Why yes, I am a Grognard who enjoys making up house rules. After all, it's my game, I paid for it. ;)

docsmann

Spotting: I use the LnLT spotting rule.

Vehicles with a Coax or heavy machinegun engage dismounted troops or trucks/jeeps with 1d6 and a 5/6 to hit and 3 hex max distance. Beyond effective range to double, a 6 to hit.

docsmann

Keith, LnLT refers to the Lock n' Load Tactical Series of games that predate WaW85 and you can find the spotting rule in their core rules for that series. At one time, I had several of the games published by Lock n' Load Publishing. One of their first games published was Heros of The Nam (HoTN) which started my collection. When the first edition of Waw85 (Peter Bogdasarian's Corp Command) came out about 2010ish, I had the first copy entitled 'Dawns Early Light' and a couple expansions and I don't remember their names.

I just gotta get used to this system again.

Zac

Website
zacgaming.wordpress.com
Here are my current favorites:

• Hill edge line hexes are level 2 terrain. Every hex inside the line of hill edge hexes is level 3 terrain. (This reduces the 'wedding cake' effect.)
I don't have an issue with the 'plateau' effect of the hills but the art doesn't sync with the rules. I am thinking of making all hexes with a contour line in them be a level lower but I don't want to do that until I have played the game some more.

docsmann

The issue I have with the hills is: Are they representing rolling hills or mountains? According to the rules, that is only 32.8 feet to 82.0 feet.

Last edited: