Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Historical accuracy......6.02.1940 -France scenario

Geoff Curran

Just got the NAW Compendium. Nicely presented. Lots of counters (including the compulsary corrections for the wrong printing.......why doesn't someone proof the counters before they get printed ?).

That is not my main gripe......in the above scenario in 1940 there is a 17pdr AT gun, ( they may have had old pre-war artillery pieces.....but not this), Cromwell tanks ? really ? A9's and other early cruisers and Matilda 1's were there, but Cromwells were not deployed until 44. On the German side there is a Stug unit and a Pz 4, which they had, but only the earlier versions (Generally the short barrelled versions). I love this series of games, but getting the facts right is a bit important please. This level of incorrectness is sad.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I do not disagree with your assessment of some of the units included in the OOB for this battle. The majority of game components for WSR and the compendium are late war with the exception of desert heat scenarios. When your units are later in the war you are forced to sometimes use components that may not have been in service. This is done primarily for play balance. The 17pdr AT gun and the Crusaders were not there in the real battle but little choice was available for balance in the way of AT guns and Armor for the british or french.

As for the Pz-IVs, if you read SSR 1 it specifically states that "the PZ-IVs models represented on the counters were not in service in 1940" and states you add a modifier to their "to-hit" number.

We do attempt to provide historically accurate representations and I believe we are successful in the hundreds of scenarios written for the series.

As for the counter corrections we strive to make things right when mistakes are made. I cannot speak for other game companies that would go the extra mile as LnL has, but LNL not only replaced the counters that had mistakes but added additional "new" units and scenarios to accompany them to add value to the corrections.
Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing

Geoff Curran

I appreciate the reply and I would emphasis that I really do like the mechanisms and the way that LnL support their games, and I like the presentation. I am also enjoying the digital versions via Steam. ( I own nearly all of the NAW and LnL Tactical Games).

I live in the UK, so I can buy the main games and the Compendiums from Second Chance games, but I cannot get hold of the replacement counters otherwise, as you don't seem to distribute them over here, so when there is a need for this I have to make them. Also, you have to admit there were a lot of errors in WSR, both counters and the manual/ scenarios Etc, and then you reissue a manual that we have to buy, or we have to write all over the original from the long errata sheet.

If you live in the UK, ordering the replacement Counters from the USA is cost prohibitive on postage - The postage costs way way more than the counters, so I love the games and will continue to buy LnL games, but before the issue of the next couple of NAW/ LnL Tactical games please do get a decent proof reader to go through the manual and the counter sets before they go to print. Having to make counters for an otherwise very professionally produced game takes the top edge off getting a new game.

Anyway, still a great fan of LnL - That won't change. This is niggle not a fundamental issue.

Sean Druelinger

Staff member
To my knowledge the upgrade kits are available outside the US. I am not in distribution so I cannot say for sure.